POTUS 2020, part 1

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: POTUS 2020, part 1

Post by DNS » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 pm

It's still a little early, but at this point my estimate is that it will be Biden vs. Trump, with Trump winning re-election. However, it will be close and Biden might pull it off too.

Biden will probably win all the states Hillary did, but might add Pennsylvania* and Ohio, which would put him at 265 electoral votes (270 needed to win). So then all he'd need is either Michigan or Wisconsin. So it will probably come down to the blue-collar voters in those states and if they feel they are better off or not, depending on the state of the economy.

*Biden was born in Pennsylvania to a blue-collar family.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:56 am

Greetings,
DNS wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 pm
It's still a little early, but at this point my estimate is that it will be Biden vs. Trump, with Trump winning re-election. However, it will be close and Biden might pull it off too.
Don't you think the blatant corruption and the pro quid pro relationships with Ukraine, China and who knows who else while he was VP, will sink his candidacy? And that's to say nothing of those grabbing hands...

It would seem to me that not only is the candidacy of Biden going down, but others who worked under the Obama administration will have question marks hung over their heads. (e.g. Is Joe Biden Turning His Quid Pro Quo into an Obama Scandal?)

:toilet:

To wit, DWE favourite, Tulsi Gabbard actually has a chance, as a relative newcomer who didn't play a prolific role in the Obama Administration.

:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:42 am

I hope so, but currently most polls are showing it's going to be Biden.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... /national/

But it could be too early, when it comes down to the (primaries) voting time, hopefully Biden will be way down in the voting numbers and have to get out of the race.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:21 am

SethRich wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:17 pm
Do you mean the DNC and the "Super PACs"?
The DNC and the super-PACs are the tools of the oligarchy, so yes, indirectly.

Left-wing political parties and news outlet are much more subject to these kinds of shenanigans because they pose a much bigger threat to the oligarchy (call it the Establishment if you will).
... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 am

Greetings,
fwiw wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:21 am
Left-wing political parties and news outlet are much more subject to these kinds of shenanigans because they pose a much bigger threat to the oligarchy (call it the Establishment if you will).
You say that, but if that's true, I'd like one coherent reason why donations to the DNC and Hillary Clinton (and the Clinton Foundation, if you like) were so much higher in the lead up to the 2016 election, than those made towards the RNC and Donald Trump.

Further, why did the corporate media, en masse, endorse Clinton?

:shrug:

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:37 am

SethRich wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 am
Greetings,
fwiw wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:21 am
You say that, but if that's true, I'd like one coherent reason why donations to the DNC and Hillary Clinton (and the Clinton Foundation, if you like) were so much higher in the lead up to the 2016 election, than those made towards the RNC and Donald Trump.
As I recall it, the Clinton campaign was siphoning donations made to local branches of the party in various states, which eventually led them to losing about a 1000 seats nationwide. Also, it has been estimated by some that DT benefited of about 2B$ worth of free publicity on mainstream media from Fox to MSNBC (positive and negative publicity alike being good for him).

SethRich wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 am
Further, why did the corporate media, en masse, endorse Clinton?
Because she was not a threat to the establishment, since she is the establishment. As all other Dem candidates, except outliers generally smeared and derided by the media like Tulsi, Bernie, and (perhaps) Andrew Yang. There is no contradiction here at all

... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:28 am

Greetings,

An update from Bernard...

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:38 am

SethRich wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:28 am
Greetings,

An update from Bernard...

I look at the comments and I see
He's red like a beet.
Doesn't look good at all
Look at his color. Man, step aside.
Not looking healthy. Looks like death is close.
His color is bad
Look at his color. Man, step aside.
Yeah he needs to start taking it easier... if he's THAT flushed from... whatever he was doing, short of a jog, that ticker isn't doing too well.
Not trying to be mean, honestly, but he looks either red or pink here. No way he has recovered enough.

Or are my eyes/phone playing tricks on me?

etc.

That's funny when you compare a picture of Bernie on that scene with normal and with increased saturation

Screenshot_2019-10-13_06-31-32.png
Screenshot_2019-10-13_06-31-32.png (224.35 KiB) Viewed 641 times

Also:
Sounds like someone isn’t fit for office!
He's done.
Not healthy enough for office, wrap it up.
He's not fit to be PRESIDENT.
The end of Bernie is in sight.

What all these people seem to be missing is that Bernie was holding about twice as many rallies as their favorite politician and merely decided to do as many as all the others going forward, but this decision is being presented in a way that makes people conclude he can't campaign normally and is unfit for office

It only goes to show that people enjoy being manipulated when it accommodates their preexisting bias, which we already knew. In other words, this is a "nothing burger"
... in my opinion

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:54 am

Democratic debate going on right now. When they discussed the troop withdrawal Trump started, only Tulsi supported that move, while all the others blasted Trump (and Tulsi), saying he's betraying the Kurds, this is going to allow ISIS to re-group, saying "how could we do this to our allies, the Kurds." Some of them were against the Iraq War (which is good that they were opposed to that), but Saddam was gassing Kurds and they didn't seem to care then. Now that Trump wants withdrawal, they want more troops and more wars.

If Democrats have a principle and it is the same as a Republican president is actually doing, then they'll oppose it.
If Republicans have a principle and it is the same as a Democrat president is actually doing, then they'll oppose it.
It's all partisan politics all the way around.

HYPOCRITES!

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 am

Greetings,

CNN's biases, exposed by Project Veritas are playing out in the debate facilitation...

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:18 pm

Greetings,
Tulsi via Facebook wrote:Great! Thank you, Hillary Clinton. You, the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long, have finally come out from behind the curtain.

From the day I announced my candidacy, there has been a concerted campaign to destroy my reputation. We wondered who was behind it and why. Now we know — it was always you, through your proxies and powerful allies in the corporate media and war machine, afraid of the threat I pose.

It’s now clear that this primary is between you and me. Don’t cowardly hide behind your proxies. Join the race directly.
Swashbuckling!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:41 pm

I just saw that too. :D

How low can HRC go?

Actually, Gabbard does have wide appeal due to her anti-war stance; I think she could get voters from Dems, Republicans and Libertarians and could have had a good shot in the general election, but of course probably won't win the Dem nomination.

I don't believe Gabbard is the type to run a 3rd party campaign to be a spoiler, she wants the Democratic Party nomination.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:57 pm

Here is HRC's comments on Gabbard:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/18/politics ... index.html
"I'm not making any predictions, but I think they've got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate," Clinton said, speaking on a podcast with former Obama adviser David Plouffe. "She's the favorite of the Russians."
Clinton never names Gabbard, but there are only five women running for President -- Gabbard, California Sen. Kamala Harris, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and author Marianne Williamson -- and none of the other woman have been accused of being boosted by Russia.

"They have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far," Clinton said.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:31 am

Greetings,

Beto O'Rourke has now also dropped out the race.

When he previously couldn't beat Ted Cruz, who previously couldn't beat Donald Trump, it required a bit of mental gymnastics to see how he would ever be a legitimate contender for the presidency, but at least he was good for a few laughs along the way.

Side note: I guess he won't be taking your guns either.

:guns:

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:25 am

aoc2.jpg
aoc2.jpg (83.7 KiB) Viewed 452 times

I thought about putting this in the Jokes thread but decided it belonged here ... ymmv.

:coffee:
Kim

perkele

Post by perkele » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:54 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:25 am
I thought about putting this in the Jokes thread but decided it belonged here ... ymmv.

Kim
So, does AOC run for POTUS 2020, or does Tomi Lahren, or Tony Posnanski? Or why would it belong to this thread, rather than the joke thrad?

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:25 pm

perkele wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:54 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:25 am

Kim
So, does AOC run for POTUS 2020, or does Tomi Lahren, or Tony Posnanski? Or why would it belong to this thread, rather than the joke thrad?
AOC is too young to run for president, but she does regularly speak out about it. She recently endorsed Bernie Sanders.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 pm

SethRich wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:31 am
Greetings,

Beto O'Rourke has now also dropped out the race.

When he previously couldn't beat Ted Cruz, who previously couldn't beat Donald Trump, it required a bit of mental gymnastics to see how he would ever be a legitimate contender for the presidency, but at least he was good for a few laughs along the way.

Side note: I guess he won't be taking your guns either.

:guns:

Yeah, he was only good for a few laughs. His use of the F-word in every conversation was a little over the top in patronizing young people, thinking it would help him -- it didn't.

Regarding guns -- he can forget about running for anything in Texas again. :tongue:

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:06 pm

Screenshot_2019-11-05_22-06-54.png
Screenshot_2019-11-05_22-06-54.png (221.02 KiB) Viewed 340 times
... in my opinion

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:46 am

The problem with a lot of these polls showing various Democrats beating Trump, is that they are assuming a popular vote elects the president. The reality of course is that it is the Electoral vote determined by how many electoral votes each state gets. The so-called 'fly-over' states in the middle tend to vote heavily for the Republicans in POTUS elections.

A Democrat could win big electoral vote states like California and New York, but without at least some fly-over states, they don't win.