Facebook Removes Hundreds of Media Pages

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
fwiw

Re: Facebook Removes Hundreds of Media Pages

Post by fwiw »

justsit wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm
Am I missing something?
That would be only for you to decide. But if you are happy without a fb account, I would advise to stay without.

Is there vital information necessary for making rational decisions there that is not available elsewhere?
I would say no. If you are only interested in information and not in keeping in touch with people, you would probably be better off with a news aggregator like feedly.

Not trying to be snarky, I'm seriously questioning if posters here think FB provides something unique that improves quality of life.
Personally it helps me keeping in touch with my family and friends who are scattered around the globe. Although sometimes I log out for months. But these days there are information sharing groups I use professionally. I also use facebook to drive traffic towards my website about sutta translations and/or analysis, and it has been quite effective.
... just my opinion, for what it's worth

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

fwiw wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:25 pm
justsit wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm
Am I missing something?
That would be only for you to decide. But if you are happy without a fb account, I would advise to stay without.
Is there vital information necessary for making rational decisions there that is not available elsewhere?
I would say no. If you are only interested in information and not in keeping in touch with people, you would probably be better off with a news aggregator like feedly.
Agreed on both points, though I don't know about news aggregators.
Not trying to be snarky, I'm seriously questioning if posters here think FB provides something unique that improves quality of life.
Personally it helps me keeping in touch with my family and friends who are scattered around the globe. Although sometimes I log out for months. But these days there are information sharing groups I use professionally. I also use facebook to drive traffic towards my website about sutta translations and/or analysis, and it has been quite effective.
Likewise, there are some people I like to keep in touch with and find FB is the easiest way to do so, and I use it to drive traffic to my blog.
But my primary reason for engaging with it was political: I use it to share information from/between activist groups and (perhaps even more) from various news sources to friends and to those same activist groups.

The negatives are real but the scare stories about hacked accounts and loss of privacy are (IMO) exaggerated. Like most things in life, it's mixed kamma.
If you do decide to try it, you can limit the risks by adjusting the settings on your account, by using an ad-blocker, and by (Shock! Horror!) lying to FB about your personal details. (This is nothing out of the ordinary for me. I lie to governments, too, when they get too intrusive, and to any company which wants to push advertising at me - which includes FB, now I come to think about it.)

:namaste:
Kim

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

One of the articles I linked to said something about the same group having multiple backup pages or accounts, which may explain FB's use of the word "coordinated". The defense for this was that 99% of groups do this to keep from being targeted and being shut down. I dont quite understand it, Im just giving info.

I started using FB to keep in touch with family and reconnect with old friends. Then people started getting all political or sharing hundreds of cat pics. In those cases I just unfollow the people. I would like for there to be an option to block shares but let original posts come through.

I post cat pics, but I do it on my cat's page so people have a choice. I think she has more followers than I do!

I also get Buddhist news through Facebook, and some political news. I also get weather information. I also like the marketplace feature and the local rummage sale groups. I could do without a lot of the other stuff though.

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

fwiw

Post by fwiw »

Lee Camp makes the case Jon Stewart style that Zuckerberg is looking to become POTUS by sucking up to the establishment that owns his country

fwiw

Post by fwiw »

This one is actually more interesting and more relevant to the topic: it's an interview of the editor in chief at The Antimedia (she teaches yoga, practices meditation, and is an anti-war activist.. sounds like she could even be one of our members)

A few interesting points (at 8:10)

- The Antimedia had a rep at facebook and they gave the Antimedia an advertising credit to better circulate their articles on the platform
- The Antimedia has then been wiped out from facebook *and twitter the same day* (isn't that a little strange?), not only the main account of the outlet but those of all the editors and people working on the technical side
- The Midterms are just around the corner

Almost sounds like someone doesn't want people to start voting outside of the 2 party system

fwiw

Post by fwiw »

I think what they are really afraid of and they want to shut down is those who are able to go beyond the right/left dichotomy and unite the people, the trumpsters with the berners (knowing there is non negligible overlap) especially around easy bipartisan issues like ending the wars.

Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Thanks for sharing. Its an interesting video.

I think its important to get your users onto a platform that you control.

These fb, google, amazon, etc are good place to get traffic, but its a bad idea to be %100 dependent on them.

There are thousands of other reasons why they can shut you down.

And It doesn't have to be politically motivated, either.

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Kamran wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:46 am

These fb, google, amazon, etc are good place to get traffic, but its a bad idea to be %100 dependent on them.

:goodpost:

One of the "etc" which worries me is something called NationBuilder - https://nationbuilder.com
It is sold as organisation-building software and, to any organisation using it, the back end of it is a powerful database which collects information about every member and potential member (e.g. people who have signed a petition or replied to a FB post) - contact information, engagement profile, known friends, enemies, political allegiance, religion ... heaps of stuff, some of which is unnecessary and potentially intrusive. The front end is a website and an email and newsletter package. It's American but here in Australia it is used by political parties and NGO's, amongst others.
The scary thing about it is that all that data is held on NationBuilder's servers, not the user's. Potentially, NationBuilder could be selling it all to third parties - from Amazon to political opponents. Or the intelligence service of your own country - or another - could be hacking NationBuilder. Or your friendly local Secret Police :spy: could be leaning on NationBuilder to disgorge the data ... :toilet:

Now, I'm not saying it happens.
And NationBuilder's security could be far better than anything a small NGO could realistically achieve.
But the fact that the scenarios are so plausible does worry me.

:thinking:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah »

Kamran wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:46 am

In america businesses are free to run their business pretty much whatever way they want....so they can just make up reasons whenever they want.....this is called freedom.....

I think that most people would want to get their users onto their own platform but on the other hand if they don't then they can always play the victim card if they are no longer denied access........I think that alot of what alt-political propogandistic agitation is about is playing the victim card....notice that I say "alot" and not "all". In my view the state of politics in the world is such that any democratic, humanistic, reasonable idea for a better way to do things is likely to come from some alt-political thinking.....but there is so much alt-political posturing indulgence around because of the ease of broadcasting it on the internet.

chownah

Kamran

Post by Kamran »

It's amazing how the left are going after facebook.

They are harming themselves.

Fb is a democratic platform for indipendant media.

Only the mainstream media and the handful of billionaires that own it will benefit from lefts attacks on fb.

The left just enjoys attacking and agitating and moralizing and have no strategy or desire it seems to get power.

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

The Left has been attacked too. It may be more of an issue of trying to silence those who stand up to power rather than a Left/Right issue.

DS

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018 ... 018-964325
Facebook announced late Monday the suspension of 115 accounts it believed to be engaged in "coordinated inauthentic behavior" as top law enforcement officials warned that Russia may still try to interfere in U.S. elections.

The social media giant said it had opened a probe into the accounts to determine whether they were linked to the Russia-based Internet Research Agency, an organization special counsel Robert Mueller named in a February indictment for allegedly attempting to sway U.S. public opinion.

alan

Post by alan »

There is a hell of a lot of garbage on Facebook. Almost all of it from Conservatives.
I'm happy they shut down Bullsh*t pages. Forget "free speech"--that is just a cover story for those who propagate lies and disinformation designed to fool ignorant people.

Facebook has the right, and, given the disaster of 2106, the obligation to shut down pages that spread propaganda.

fwiw

Post by fwiw »

Well then according to this logic they should shut down any page linked to Fox News, CNN, MSNBC and any other pro-war propaganda spewing media outlet (almost all of them)

But what did they do instead? They shut down anti-war outlets like the antimedia

See the problem here?

fwiw

Post by fwiw »

Screenshot_2018-11-17_16-57-19.png
Screenshot_2018-11-17_16-57-19.png (66.08 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
Screenshot_2018-11-17_16-58-28.png
Screenshot_2018-11-17_16-58-28.png (115.95 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
Screenshot_2018-11-17_16-56-53.png
Screenshot_2018-11-17_16-56-53.png (395.74 KiB) Viewed 3840 times

Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Yes, corporate media protects corporate business interests.

How is that surprising news ?