US Mid-term elections

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
Kim O'Hara

US Mid-term elections

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Very clever infographic from xkcd -

https://xkcd.com/2067/

As he says (in the tooltip): to edit the map, vote on Nov 6.

:coffee:
Kim
fwiw

Re: US Mid-term elections

Post by fwiw »

Texas turning blue?

If the Dems win, all the important things in US politics will get back to being sneaky again, with a big orange clown to distract everyone. It may get even worse than today

Ray of hope: there might be a few progressives elected to add their voices at Bernie Sanders' and gain more traction countrywide for issues like stopping wars, regulating Wall Street, not letting people die of insufficient medical coverage etc.
... just my opinion, for what it's worth
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Bernie supporters have been trying to infiltrate the Democratic party from local election boards on up to federal representatives.

I am not a huge fan of the Democratic party, but Trump must be stopped, and that means Dems need to take back the Congress.

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

A race to watch particularly

After being cheated out of the Dem primary, progressive Tim Canova runs as an independent and might defeat both the Repulican and the Democratic nominees
U.S. Representative and former DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz may be facing the political fight of her career to keep her U.S. House seat in Florida’s congressional delegation — and neither the media, the pollsters, nor the partisan elite will see it coming.

Buoyed by Republicans, independents, and liberal Democrats who are disenchanted with the business-as-usual politics in Washington that Wasserman Schultz has come to represent, independent candidate Tim Canova is in a statistical dead heat with Wasserman Schultz for an election day victory next week.

I didn’t leave the Democratic Party as much as it left me. It’s much the same with the Republican Party. Both went so establishment and corporate that they abandoned the American people.
Tim Canova

That’s according to a private GOP poll conducted by a candidate or donor.

The Republican sources who revealed the poll results to the press wouldn’t say who, and no public, official polls have been conducted for this race.

It’s a stunning result, and more credible for the fact that it doesn’t favor the Republican candidate, Joe Kaufman, as internal party polls tend to have some level of bias. Even the dead-even split between Wasserman Schultz and Canova isn’t giving the Republican much of an opening.

Canova is a former Democrat turned independent, who supported the Bernie Sanders presidential campaign in 2016. He ran against Wasserman Schultz in the 2016 Democratic primary for her seat, but lost. However, the results were not without controversy.

Tim Canova’s campaign requested a recount. Yet thousands of ballots had been discarded by the Broward County supervisor of elections. Canova filed suit, and a circuit court judge ruled in May that the ballots were destroyed illegally.

Canova previously told IVN that his decision to switch from Democrat to independent was influenced by the actions of the Broward County supervisor of elections and the local and state Democratic Parties:

“It reached a tipping point dealing with the ballot destruction from my previous primary against [Wasserman Schultz]. We discovered during the course of litigating in our efforts to inspect the ballots…that the Broward Supervisor of Elections completely destroyed all of the paper ballots while the litigation was pending, and in violation of federal law.

[…]

When the party could not be bothered with investigating ballot destruction that has undermined people’s faith and confidence in the integrity of the system, to me it just became intolerable.”

Now, he finds himself in a position where he could defeat Rep. Wasserman Schultz, whose political career is now in peril after being plagued by scandal after scandal since 2016.

This includes her role in what many Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) supporters saw as stacking the deck in Hillary Clinton’s favor during the 2016 nomination contest instead of letting the voters pick their candidate. She was asked personally by then-President Barack Obama to resign as the DNC chair.

Wasserman Schultz was also at the center of a corruption and cybersecurity scandal involving her friend and staffer, Imran Awan — a story that can only be described as surreal.

In a recent op-ed for The Miami Herald, Tim Canova says he’s running against Debbie Wasserman Schultz because:

“To me, she was the epitome of why the party was failing: a corporate funded incumbent supporting a trickle-down Wall Street agenda of corporate trade deals, payday lending, private prisons, and endless wars…

I didn’t leave the Democratic Party as much as it left me. It’s much the same with the Republican Party. Both went so establishment and corporate that they abandoned the American people.”

It is difficult to know for sure how accurate the polling is given the highly secretive nature of its release. However, if Canova can pull off the win, it could be the biggest political upset in the 2018 midterms.
https://ivn.us/2018/10/31/debbie-wasser ... sing-seat/

For those who might prefer a video, here is a summary of the beef between DWS and Tim Canova

Of course, no one has ever been sanctioned for any of those crimes against democracy
Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Canova's "I didn’t leave the Democratic Party as much as it left me. It’s much the same with the Republican Party" reminded me of a segment about the Dems candidate in Orange County, an ex-Republican who basically said his positions haven't changed in the last twenty years but the Republicans have moved so far to the Right that he is now a natural fit for the Dems.
:reading: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-04/ ... s/10462494

:coffee:
Kim
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

Which means the Dems have also moved to the right, despite conservative pundits' incessant cries to the contrary
Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

I don't know enough about US politics to be sure but I suspect you're correct. I do know it has happened here is Oz over the last 20+ years - our Labor is now roughly where our "Liberals" used to be. The triumph of noeliberalism shifted the whole window of discourse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window.

And no, I'm not happy about it.

:jedi:
Kim
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

There is that video clip i believe I have already posted here where Obama bragged that his policies would have been considered moderate republican 2 or 3 decades earlier
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

2 other races I'll be watching:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Richard Ojeda voted for Trump but now runs as a 0 bs progressive

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Well, I voted a couple of hours ago. Here’s to hoping the Dems tack back the House and over here in California we move one small step closer to treating all sentient beings humanely (Yes on Prop 12).

https://mercyforanimals.org/yes-on-prop ... ins-for-ca

:anjali:
alan

Post by alan »

Went to bed early on election day 2016, because I had a feeling of dread. Just couldn't deal with the possibility of the election of a God Dam Crazy Man.
This one feels different. I think that sane humans will retake the House, and restore some balance.
Hoping for a big blue wave.
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

Here are 6 guaranteed victories for uncorrupt women of color who don't take any PAC money, which means they are free to fight for the people just like Bernie. Among them, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

And of course

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The first openly gay person elected governor of a U.S. state in Colorado.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/politics ... index.html

Counting still going on as I write this, however, overall it appears it is not going to be a Blue wave, nor a Red wave; perhaps a Blue "ripple" at best.

It appears the Dems will re-take control of the House, but not the Senate.
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

It should have been a blue wave but the Dems are paid to lose and to close their eyes to the reality. For example, people right and left don't want corruption so bragging about raising the most money is essentially bragging about being the most corrupt

A ballot initiative in Florida prohibiting public officials from lobbying for compensation while in office and for 6 years thereafter won public approval by 79 to 21.

Those are the bipartisan issues people truly care about that the leadership on neither side wants to address, because it would amount to shooting themselves in the foot
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Some victories for the Dems, especially in some states like Nevada where the governor, lt. governor and many other races all flipped from GOP to Dems, but overall the political landscape in the U.S. is still heavily controlled by Republicans.

Consider the following major categories and which party has the majority:

U.S. House: Democrats
Senate: Republicans
Governors: Republicans
State legislatures: Republicans
White House: Republicans
Supreme Court: Republicans (non-partisan in theory, but majority of justices are conservative and appointed by Republicans)

That's 5 to 1 still in favor of Republicans in those major categories.
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

I bet there will still be just enough democrats to vote along with the worst republican legislations to let them go through and everyone will say there was nothing we could do... that's all the dems have been saying for 10 years even when they controlled all branches of the government between 2008-2010, cold have passed a healthcare bill without any trouble and they did nothing. I hear same thing is happening in CA. Either they lose and say there was nothing they could do or they win and do nothing.

The nice thing is that there might be more progressive voices in government, but that is far too little while we have to act right now to counteract the mass extinction we are living through and all the consequences it will have

The USA are leading the human world to its doom for the massive profit of a handful of individuals
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

When you look at governors based on how many people their state represents, I believe the Democrats are ahead.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk.

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

It is outstanding that in the "Trump era" with huge voter turnout the Dems only barely win a majority by so little that we have to take guesses. That's how bad the Dems suck
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Actually you're wrong, the Democrats made huge gains in the House and the governerships, and a small loss in the Senate which had much more to do with the Senate seats that were up for election, than it had to do with any lack of Democratic support, from what I heard 40 million Democrats voted and only 30 million Republicans, that's huge, the only reason they didn't do better is gerrymandering, and several states voted to get rid of partisan gerrymandering. Florida voted to allow felons to vote, which adds 1 million potentially likely democratic voters to the Florida mix, which has been 50/50 for ages.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk.

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

You got more diversity, anwyay:
A record number of women candidates, more than 270, stood for office in the US midterm elections. So how did they go?

Going into the midterm elections, 19 per cent of the Governor, Senate and House seats were held by women.
There are still some seats undecided in this week's vote, but to date, 117 women have won across the Senate, House and Governor elections.
Many of them have made history — such as the first two Muslim American women elected to Congress, the first Native American women elected to Congress and the first woman senators for their states.
Once you add those to the handful of women Senators and Governors who did not have to face the electorate in these midterms (as only some positions were contested), the proportion of women now in power goes up to around 22 per cent.
Keep in mind: that 22 per cent figure could yet change as counting continues in the 10 per cent of races which have not yet been called. ...
:reading: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-08/ ... s/10473528

:thumb:
Kim