Should Capitalism be outgrown?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
Ceisiwr

Re: Should Capitalism be outgrown?

Post by Ceisiwr »

fwiw wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:49 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:29 pm
fwiw wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm

No, just to Amazon, McDonalds, Apple, Kmart, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Sears, Xerox, Samsung, Nestlé, Woolworths, Walmart, Union Pacific, Nike, H&M, Hertz, Kraft Heinz, Genesis Healthcare, Family Dollar, Zara, The Fresh Market, Chevron, Caterpillar, Tyson Foods... and these are just a few among the worst. The full list of businesses exploiting their workers would include almost every major capitalist enterprise

How do major capitalist enterprises “exploit” their workers?
Seriously?

Yes, seriously.
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

Well, then, let me introduce you to Amazon. This is from the NYPost, not exactly a lefty outlet.

Emphasis mine
https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/inside-th ... -employee/

The work in factories and minimum-wage facilities hasn’t exactly got harder in recent decades, Guendelsberger says. It’s that the jobs have become unreasonably more stressful, mostly due to advanced monitoring technology that meticulously tracks every second of every day for many employees.

The reason, weirdly enough, is that their productivity is being compared to robots.

Because of automation, human workers increasingly have to compete with computers and algorithms, Guendelsberger writes. But robots are still lacking when it comes to fine motor control and empathy. So many industries want a workforce that can “think, talk, feel and pick stuff up like humans — but with as few needs outside of work as robots.”

These so-called “cyborg jobs” demand that low-wage laborers “crush those unuseful human parts of themselves down to atomic size.” And this type of employment is becoming increasingly common, with Oxford University estimating in 2013 that cyborg jobs could account for 47 percent of the US workforce.

At Convergys, Guendelsberger was “lectured about how using the bathroom too often is the same thing as stealing from the company.” Every bathroom visit was clocked from the moment she left her cubicle, and a daily report of her bathroom time was sent to a supervisor for approval.

Amazon workers carry around a scan gun, similar to what you might see at a grocery-store checkout, with an LCD screen listing tasks and a timer counting down exactly how many seconds remain to complete each one, according to the book.

“It also tracks your location by GPS — and you take it everywhere with you, even the bathroom,” writes Guendelsberger. “Failure to stay ahead of the countdown was grounds for termination.”

Business Insider:
Amazon warehouse employees speak out about the 'brutal' reality of working during the holidays, when 60-hour weeks are mandatory and ambulance calls are common

Let me add this for good measure
Screenshot_2020-01-18-17-17-51-1.png
Screenshot_2020-01-18-17-17-51-1.png (74.37 KiB) Viewed 930 times

And if you havent seen it here is a documentary about Walmart

Compare the above with:
fwiw wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:06 am The writings of Milton Friedman, the godfather of neoliberalism, explain a lot:
"There is one and only one social responsibility of business – to use its resources and engage in activities designed to increase its profits so long as it stays within the rules of the game, which is to say, engages in open and free competition without deception or fraud."
- Milton Friedman

Is it a bit clearer now?
... just my opinion, for what it's worth
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

Screenshot_2020-03-23_12-19-51.png
Screenshot_2020-03-23_12-19-51.png (243.73 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

fwiw wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:23 am Screenshot_2020-03-23_12-19-51.png
The state should buy them, like what we are doing in the UK.
SethRich

Post by SethRich »

Greetings Ceisiwr,
Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:56 pm The state should buy them, like what we are doing in the UK.
Yes, demand and supply. If there is increased demand, the profit motive dictates that supply will be increased commensurately.

Toilet paper production, up.
Hand sanitizer production, up.

And so it goes...

The market is and remains the best way to respond to the challenge of supply, demand and scarcity. Whilst there can be sudden changes in demand and supply (i.e. market shocks), the market sorts it out as quickly and efficiently as possible. No one in any ivory tower anywhere, has able to do better, except for responding to certain types of genuine market failures (e.g. non-excludable public goods, natural monopolies)

:candle:
"He goes to hell, the one who asserts what didn’t take place" (Ud 4.8)
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

"Transition to greatness" (Donald J. Trump)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

The market provides scarce goods only to the wealthy who can afford them, and not to those who actually need them.

Masks have become very expensive, so are testing kits. The wealthy can enjoy them, but doctors and nurses who actually need them (and we need them being protected) can't afford them in some countries.

Such market logic makes no sense in the real world.

The free market has only one way to allocate scarce goods. Benevolent humans have a thousand.
fwiw

Post by fwiw »

hhhhh.jpg
hhhhh.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

fwiw wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:13 pm Not sure if the title makes proper sense in English. Any NES please let me know if I should improve this title.

Basically this is a thread about whether humanity should keep going with capitalism or if (perhaps for the sake of its own survival) it should outgrow it and invent something better.
Have you read the last chapter of A People's History of the United States?