Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
DNS
Site Admin

Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry

Post by DNS » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:59 am

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/politics ... index.html

U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry. At last count, it appears there are about 165 representatives in favor of this action. There are 435 seats in the House, so 218 are needed for the simple majority needed to impeach.

From there, the trial would go to the U.S. Senate where two-thirds are needed for impeachment. And since at least half the seats are held by Republicans in the Senate, it would be very difficult for the impeachment to go through with a removal from office of the POTUS.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry

Post by DNS » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:01 am

Tulsi Gabbard opposes impeachment, saying it would be divisive and tear the country apart.

https://sputniknews.com/us/201909251076 ... ic-debate/

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 am

Greetings,

:rofl:
DNS wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:01 am
Tulsi Gabbard opposes impeachment, saying it would be divisive and tear the country apart.
It's a bit late for that.

The Democrats have been trying to impeach Donald Trump since November 2016. This desperation does give rise to questions about why they are so desperate to see the back of him. It is certainly an unconventional method to try regaining power in a system geared towards 4 yearly presidential elections... especially so deep into that cycle.

It appears this latest "Ukraine" nonsense is already in the process of blowing up in their faces, and will most likely take the Biden candidacy down with it.

They might be well advised at this point to actually focus on the 2020 Election rather than shooting themselves in the foot any more than is necessary. To that extent, Tulsi has spoken wise words.

:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Yes, I agree; it's better for the Dems to just wait for the election and vote him out if they don't want him. It is only a year away at this point. Elections are every 4 years as you say and it's easier and simpler to just vote out those you don't like. I'm not saying Impeachment should never be used, but it shouldn't be raised for just every little thing, considering the toll it would take and giving the appearance of removing someone just because you don't like the election result.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:27 pm

In parliamentary systems there is the vote of "no confidence" but in the U.S. presidential system that is not how it works and Impeachment is supposed to be only for 'high crimes and misdemeanors.'

And then there are term limits so the most a POTUS could even serve is 8 years (two terms), whereas in some parliamentary systems, the prime minister serves 13 years or more, for example Merkel in Germany and Netanyahu in Israel.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:30 pm

I think Tulsi Gabbard is right on this issue. Besides, it would only strengthen the Trump momentum.

The way I see it, the (mainstream) Dems are paid losers who will rather lose to a Republican than win with a progressive.

They just play a mostly predetermined part in the grand political theater, but their ultimate objective is fundamentally the same as Republicans: moving the whole country as far right as possible, for example by always making weak compromises upfront when the Republicans fight tooth and nail to the last bit.

Anyway, I digress. The whole point might be to secure a 2nd Trump presidency all the while fakely grandstanding against him on matters of no real substance
... in my opinion

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:45 am

According to some reports, the House now has a simple majority (218 out of 435) in favor of Impeachment inquiry. It has been speculated that the same members might vote to Impeach.

However, from there it would still be an uphill, next to impossible feat to get through the Senate.

https://www.businessinsider.com/majorit ... ump-2019-9

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:08 am

Here's a listicle for you: Eight reasons why impeaching Donald Trump is a big risk for the Democrats (and three reasons why it's not)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-26/ ... d/11549596

:popcorn:
Kim

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:20 am

Greetings,

From the transcript... (no pro quid pro)
There's a lot of talk about Biden's son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that, so whatever you can do with the attorney general would be great.

Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it […] It sounds horrible to me.
From the horse's mouth... (pro quid pro)

And then there's the Democrat senators... (pro quid pro)

And then there's 4D Chess...

8-)

If this is how it looks based upon information that is already public, I can only imagine how it's going to turn to custard for the Democrats and the Deep State once the DOJ IG reports on FISA abuses, associated declassification etc. come to light.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:16 am

I wonder why the Dems officials are always unbelievably weak and dumb and why the Republicans officials are always playing "4D chess", being all very cunning and smart to give their antisocial, pro-billionaire agendas a constant boost

Well I have my own idea of course but to start with I think it's a fact worth noting
... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 am

Greetings fwiw,
fwiw wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:16 am
I wonder why the Dems officials are always unbelievably weak and dumb and why the Republicans officials are always playing "4D chess", being all very cunning and smart to give their antisocial, pro-billionaire agendas a constant boost
It's funny you say that, because I would have thought that in the Obama era, you could switch the words Democrats and Republicans and your sentence would make perfect sense. For a long time, Republican voters complained about RINOs (Republican In Name Only) - the people who would say the odd conservative sounding thing, but would ultimately surrender by approving exorbitant Democrat bills and vote to sabotage conservative bills - e.g. people like John McCain, Jeff Flake, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney. One way or the other (including being "primaried" at the mid-terms), these RINOs have been mostly flushed out of the system. (In the UK, there's a similar parallel with "Remain" Conservatives underway)

In reality though I think it's less to do with D vs R, than it is Establishment (incl. "Deep State") vs Anti-Establishment. There have been "crony Capitalists" on both sides for decades, and I think you can see this from the fact that HRC received a LOT more in donations for her 2016 campaign than Trump did. It's clear who the "big end of town" (including pedos like Epstein, drug den runners like Ed Buck etc.) had their money on, and we can guess what they expected in return.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I think people are largely ignorant of quite how much information and intelligence the President of the United States has at their fingertips. Trump often makes a play of appearing surprised as each new "revelation" (take Biden and Ukraine, for example) comes to light, but I suspect he knows a lot more than he lets on. It's a little bit like what they say about a good lawyer, and that in court they'll only ask a question that they already know the answer to.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:12 am

SethRich wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 am
It's funny you say that, because I would have thought that in the Obama era, you could switch the words Democrats and Republicans and your sentence would make perfect sense.
I have never seen Obama playing "4D chess". He admitted himself that his policies would have been considered "moderate Republican" 20 years earlier. Has Trump ever claimed his policies (if he has any) are "moderate Democrat"?
SethRich wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 am
For a long time, Republican voters complained about RINOs (Republican In Name Only) - the people who would say the odd conservative sounding thing, but would ultimately surrender by approving exorbitant Democrat bills and vote to sabotage conservative bills - e.g. people like John McCain, Jeff Flake, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney. One way or the other (including being "primaried" at the mid-terms), these RINOs have been mostly flushed out of the system. (In the UK, there's a similar parallel with "Remain" Conservatives underway)
Do you have an example of typical right-wing economic or war-related policy that was not supported by these RINOs? Or was it mostly centered on societal issues like the border wall?
... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:30 am

Greetings,
fwiw wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:12 am
I have never seen Obama playing "4D chess".
True, it was never really "4D chess" - it was more a media-enabled "sleight of hand". I will leave at that, lest we enter territory in which someone will start screaming "conspiracy theorist!" and ruin the conversation. That would be boring for all concerned.
fwiw wrote:
He admitted himself that his policies would have been considered "moderate Republican" 20 years earlier.
I won't comment here for the aforementioned reason. Maybe there will be a time in the future, when evidence is brought forward, and such matters can be discussed. The aforementioned FISA investigations may be the beginning of that - we shall see.
fwiw wrote:
Has Trump ever claimed his policies (if he has any) are "moderate Democrat"?
I think he claims he is (and he is adored by Republican voters for) representing the American worker... ground which was traditionally held by the Democrats, prior to their misadventures in identity politics under Obama. His positions on border control are a lot like the traditional Democrat position, before they were infiltrated with open borders globalism.
fwiw wrote:
Do you have an example of typical right-wing economic or war-related policy that was not supported by these RINOs? Or was it mostly centered on societal issues like the border wall?
The "establishment" love wars... because they involve big spending bills (e.g. foreign aid, military) which they can misappropriate and become wealthy off the back of. For all intents and purposes, RINOs were just establishment Democrats wearing different colours, so whatever policy positions you could assign to an establishment Democrat, you could similarly assign to a RINO.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 am

SethRich wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:30 am
fwiw wrote:
I have never seen Obama playing "4D chess".
True, it was never really "4D chess" - it was more a media-enabled "sleight of hand". I will leave at that, lest we enter territory in which someone will start screaming "conspiracy theorist!" and ruin the conversation. That would be boring for all concerned.
Perhaps not that symmetrical, then

Maybe there will be a time in the future, when evidence is brought forward, and such matters can be discussed.
This one is easy

I think he claims he is (and he is adored by Republican voters for) representing the American worker... ground which was traditionally held by the Democrats, prior to their misadventures in identity politics under Obama. His positions on border control are a lot like the traditional Democrat position, before they were infiltrated with open borders globalism.
That's an interesting take.

The "establishment" love wars... because they involve big spending bills (e.g. foreign aid, military) which they can misappropriate and become wealthy off the back of. For all intents and purposes, RINOs were just establishment Democrats wearing different colours, so whatever policy positions you could assign to an establishment Democrat, you could similarly assign to a RINO.
Are you saying that John McCain and Paul Ryan were secretly democrats?
... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:03 am

Greetings fwiw,
fwiw wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 am
More specifically that they, along with Establishment Democrats constituted "The Establishment".

I'm not sure if you've seen this video, but I agree with every word of it.

It doesn't bother me whether you agree with it or not, but it articulates my position well.

Now, I don't want to deviate too far off-topic, out of respect for the topic at hand, so let's just say that when I was speaking earlier that "this desperation does give rise to questions about why they are so desperate to see the back of him", that which is in that video constitutes one possible answer.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:19 am

SethRich wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:03 am
fwiw wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 am
More specifically that they, along with Establishment Democrats constituted "The Establishment".
Okay, it's clearer now. Thanks

SethRich wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:03 am
I'm not sure if you've seen this video, but I agree with every word of it.

When it comes to politicians, I believe we should not listen to what they say, rather watch what they do.

I have watched the beginning of the video and what he says about the establishment rings true to me to some extent, but Trump does exactly what he accuses them to do, so this just comes off as insincere grandstanding to me.
... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:33 am

Greetings fwiw,
fwiw wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:19 am
I have watched the beginning of the video and what he says about the establishment rings true to me to some extent, but Trump does exactly what he accuses them to do, so this just comes off as insincere grandstanding to me.
I'd be interested to pick that up at some time (in a different topic) if that interested you. I've avidly pursued his presidency, through the aforementioned lens... unlike the MSM who have looked at and reported upon his presidency through an establishment lens. To that extent, I may be positioned to provide counter-examples, or alternative perspectives, to what you've seen and heard.

That is, if you want to, of course. I have no interest in converting anyone to a particular way of thinking, only explaining my perspective as I see it, and assisting in any exploration others may wish to do.

Kind regards

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Please enlighten us
... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Greetings,

Please start a new topic then, making clear what the subject matter is.

:thumb:

:focus:

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:07 am

John Kiriakou is the CIA whistle blower who alerted the public about the CIA torture program, and the only person who eventually went to prison as a result of his blowing the whistle.

Also, Bernie Sanders used to think an impeachment inquiry would help Trump. Not any more, apparently

... in my opinion