Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
SethRich

Re: Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry

Post by SethRich » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Greetings,

Oh boy, Adam Schiff is in big trouble.

:spy:

:popcorn:

:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

Charbel

Post by Charbel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:15 am

SethRich wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 am
It appears this latest "Ukraine" nonsense is already in the process of blowing up in their faces, and will most likely take the Biden candidacy down with it.
Indeed. Its old news from my news sources; all the dodgy stuff under Obama in Ukraine (lead by Republicans McCain & Lindsey Graham). Obviously, the President has the right to inquire about criminals.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:08 am

Interesting presentation of the story

... in my opinion

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 pm

fwiw wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:08 am
Interesting presentation of the story
That's pretty good and a good summation of both parties in the U.S. It's all about personality issues and not about what really matters; for example the endless wars.

And just in the last day or so, Trump pulls more troops out and gets criticized by Republicans and Democrats. Getting criticized from some hawkish Republican neo-cons is expected, but from so-called liberals?
Despite the cascade of criticism from Democrats and Republicans like, Trump has gained plaudits from libertarian-leaning allies like Sen. Rand Paul and Rep. Thomas Massie, both Republicans from Kentucky. On Wednesday afternoon Paul said that Trump is “the first President in my lifetime to understand what is our national interest and what is not. He is stopping the endless wars and we will be stronger as a result. The Cheney/Graham Neocon War Caucus has cost us too much fighting endless wars."

Trump called U.S. intervention in the Middle East the “worst decision ever made in the history of our country” and retweeted Sergio Gor, a Rand Paul aide, who asked why Democrats weren’t supporting Trump’s decision.

Historically, Democrats have been far more in line with dovish foreign policy and scaling back the U.S. presence in the Middle East. But liberals and more centrist Democrats alike have lashed out at Trump this week, with Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) declaring that Trump has “left our allies at risk of being slaughtered and spurred massive additional instability.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/0 ... ump-042654

I have my suspicions for the real reasons liberals are opposed to the troop pull out: simply because it came from Trump and anything he does or says is wrong in their book.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:29 am

DNS wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 pm
I have my suspicions for the real reasons liberals are opposed to the troop pull out: simply because it came from Trump and anything he does or says is wrong in their book.
And perhaps also because they receive donations from and therefore owe allegiance to the military-industrial complex which is not happy about any war coming to an end, since the more wars there are, the more money they make
... in my opinion

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:12 pm

fwiw wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:29 am
DNS wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 pm
And perhaps also because they receive donations from and therefore owe allegiance to the military-industrial complex which is not happy about any war coming to an end, since the more wars there are, the more money they make
True, but there were some liberals and Democrats who opposed the G W Bush Iraq War. Bush was / is a Republican. And just last night I heard some liberal pundits complaining that we are "abandoning our allies, we are abandoning the Kurds." Saddam Hussein was known to have gassed and killed thousands of Kurds, but they were opposed to the Iraq War back then, yet now they want this war; hypocrites.

(I was opposed to the Iraq War from the beginning and support troop withdrawal from all foreign lands.)

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:45 am

On this one it's only the first 2m30s
... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:28 am

Greetings,

Wow, Biden is in more trouble than I thought...

Joe Biden worked with whistleblower when he was vice president, officials reveal

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 pm

Greetings,

Update from Scott Wong of The Hill...
CONFIRMED: Pelosi informs caucus there will NOT be a formal floor vote to launch the impeachment inquiry

Schiff says Republicans "have completely been represented" in these closed-door depositions. They have attended and ask questions.

"There is full participation by the GOP"

He says that he anticipates releasing transcripts

PELOSI says Constitution does not require House to hold a formal vote on impeachment inquiry, "so at this time we will not be having a vote"

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 am

As far as I understand, impeachment has zero chance to pass in the senate. The objective of this impeachment inquiry seems to be something completely different from impeaching Trump and will likely result in increasing his popularity. Since this is the expected outcome, one may wonder if that is not also the objective.

US politics is nothing but theater where people pretend to fight each other like in a Catch combat, but may work together towards the same objective behind the scenes (fighting anything left of Joe Biden). It was very obvious when Clinton and Trump, who have been friends for decades threatened each other to get sent to prison.

The Democrats would rather lose to Donald Trump than win with someone who is not a Republican in Democrats clothes like, pretty much all of them candidates, including E. Warren, whom I understand is a former Republican
... in my opinion

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:20 am

fwiw wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 am
including E. Warren, whom I understand is a former Republican
Correct, she was a Republican until year 1996. That's age 47 for her.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Warren
(see info box)

And Hillary Clinton was Republican too and even campaigned for Barry Goldwater in the 1964 POTUS race.

There's one thing both parties love: WAR. In that way, perhaps more than anything else, they are virtually the same.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 pm

Greetings,

Unsurprisingly, things are not going well for Democrats who have hitched their wagon to this latest impeachment charade.

With this news coming in from the Ukraine, it's probably now three moves to mate...

MPs demand Zelensky, Trump investigate suspicion of U.S.-Ukraine corruption involving $7.4 bln
KYIV. Nov 20 (Interfax-Ukraine) – Ukrainian members of parliament have demanded the presidents of Ukraine and the United States, Volodymyr Zelensky and Donald Trump, investigate suspicions of the legalization of $7.4 billion by the "family" of ex-President Viktor Yanukovych through the American investment fund Franklin Templeton Investments, which they said has ties to the U.S. Democratic Party.

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:57 am

DNS wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:20 am
fwiw wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 am
including E. Warren, whom I understand is a former Republican
Correct, she was a Republican until year 1996. That's age 47 for her.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Warren
(see info box)

And Hillary Clinton was Republican too and even campaigned for Barry Goldwater in the 1964 POTUS race.
This could well reflect something we talked about in another thread - the political landscape moving to the Right, so that people who were at home in the Republican party fifty years ago and have not materially changed their own politics are now more at home in the Dems.

:coffee:
Kim

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:26 am

This inquiry is 70% scripted political theater for the enjoyment and confusion of the purposefully misinformed, also known as political Kayfabe
... in my opinion

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:31 pm

It now seems pretty clear that President Trump solicited foreign assistance to investigate his political rival and even delayed congressionally approved aid. He is also available obstructing justice by ordering staff not to testify.

Trump will be impeached but unfortunately, not removed from office. Corruption still reigns.

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:08 pm

I guess reactions to these hearings can be screened in the future as an example of Confirmation Bias 101 - everyone will get what they want to get from it.

Listening to civil servants who appear to me to have put their career on the line for saying what they do, whether David Holmes, Fiona Hill or Alexander Vindman, one things is clear: the POTUS cares about one thing over and above anything else - himself. Fuck the Ukraine, fuck even Russia, but yeah, let's make America great again. That the believers can still maintain their faith in the face of all this is an incredible testament to human fortitude or wilful stupidity, not sure which...

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:23 pm

Greetings Dan,

You may wish to read the...

TREATY WITH UKRAINE ON MUTUAL LEGAL ASSISTANCE IN CRIMINAL MATTERS

Ironically, from the U.S. side, this document was signed and authorised by Bill Clinton.

I trust you will find it enlightening and it might even help to deflate your intolerance towards those who see matters differently to either you or the aforementioned unelected bureaucrats who feel that they should dictate U.S. foreign policy.

Kind regards.

P.S. Please desist from your vulgarities.

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:45 pm

SethRich wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:23 pm
Greetings Dan,

You may wish to read the...

TREATY WITH UKRAINE ON MUTUAL LEGAL ASSISTANCE IN CRIMINAL MATTERS

Ironically, from the U.S. side, this document was signed and authorised by Bill Clinton.

I trust you will find it enlightening and it might even help to deflate your intolerance towards those who see matters differently to either you or the aforementioned unelected bureaucrats who feel that they should dictate U.S. foreign policy.

Kind regards.

P.S. Please desist from your vulgarities.
And you seriously believe that was what Trump was doing, giving the Ukraine legal assistance in criminal matters?

It seems I was harbouring under a mistaken assumption that one could have a rational discussion here..

But I guess no one said it better than the man himself:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ose-voters

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:24 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:45 pm
And you seriously believe that was what Trump was doing, giving the Ukraine legal assistance in criminal matters?
Paul's views on Trump have been discussed and challenged here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4619

It is quite impressing what can be done to people's beliefs these days with personal-data-customized, targeted strategic communication
... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:17 am

Greetings Dan74,
Dan74 wrote:
100%. Just like Donald Trump, the Ukrainian president ran on a platform of "draining the swamp" and as quoted above...
"Ukrainian members of parliament have demanded the presidents of Ukraine and the United States, Volodymyr Zelensky and Donald Trump, investigate suspicions of the legalization of $7.4 billion by the "family" of ex-President Viktor Yanukovych through the American investment fund Franklin Templeton Investments, which they said has ties to the U.S. Democratic Party."
So, the Ukrainian government wants it, the Ukrainian president wants it, and the United States President wants it... what more do you want?

:toilet:
Dan74 wrote:
It seems I was harbouring under a mistaken assumption that one could have a rational discussion here..
Not if one is unable to partake of it, by virtue of intolerance to views and evidence that do not conform to what usually bounces around in their echo chamber.

Kind regards.