(Dis)enchantment with Facebook

Petitions, protests and activism
fwiw

(Dis)enchantment with Facebook

Post by fwiw » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:26 am

This thread is aimed at documenting the different ways in which facebook proves itself to be useful or harmful to society as a whole. So as to make it easier for everyone to weigh the pros and cons of using it.
... in my opinion

fwiw

Re: (Dis)enchantment with Facebook

Post by fwiw » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:37 am

Let me start with the latest bit, that has to do with facebook supporting war by censoring anti-war content:

Vikram works/ed for a media company specialized in facebook content that was hired to promote shows like Dore's on facebook
It was a video where you talked about the military-industrial complex and the US alliance with Saudi Arabia and it was a very popular video, it was probably your best video ever, and it just went dark. And a lot of Aggressive Progressive (TYT show hosted by Jimmy Dore) memberships were coming from that video because it motivated people to support independent media. This is not something you hear from mainstream, CNN, criticizing the US for something like that.

So when that video went dark, I immediately called facebook and said "what the hell is happening?", you know, "this is ridiculous", and then we weren't able to get anything live on anyone's news feeds for about a week, which was pretty devastating for us.

I'm not sure but this might have been the aforementioned Aggressive Progressive video that was censored on facebook but that's still on youtube

... in my opinion

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Jimmy and Steve no longer appear to care much about being truthful and accurate. While their portrayal of Saudi Arabia is largely accurate (with the exception of saying that women can't drive while Prince Mohammed changed that), for the sake of their narrative they call Iran a democracy and paint their Government as the good guys, not as repressive theocratic terrorist sponsors that they are.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm
Jimmy and Steve no longer appear to care much about being truthful and accurate. While their portrayal of Saudi Arabia is largely accurate (with the exception of saying that women can't drive while Prince Mohammed changed that), for the sake of their narrative they call Iran a democracy and paint their Government as the good guys, not as repressive theocratic terrorist sponsors that they are.
That is not what I have seen in this video. As far as I can recall, the argument went like this:

1) Iran actually has elections (which is different from saying Iran is a well-functioning democracy)
2) Saudi Arabia doesn't even have elections, it's basically a theocratic dictatorship
3) Guess which of these two is the USA's enemy and which is their friend? USA whose politicians, movies and TV series keep repeating is a beacon of democracy.
4) When confronted with a single question highlighting this double standard, a US official can't seem to find any answer

Anyway, all this is completely :offtopic:
... in my opinion

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:22 am

... in my opinion

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 am

And then there's their fake war on fake news ...
Journalists working as factcheckers for Facebook have pushed to end a controversial media partnership with the social network, saying the company has ignored their concerns and failed to use their expertise to combat misinformation.

Current and former Facebook factcheckers told the Guardian that the tech platform’s collaboration with outside reporters has produced minimal results and that they’ve lost trust in Facebook, which has repeatedly refused to release meaningful data about the impacts of their work. ...

Kim LaCapria recently left Snopes as a content manager and factchecker partly due to her frustrations with the Facebook arrangement. She said it quickly seemed clear that Facebook wanted the “appearance of trying to prevent damage without actually doing anything” and that she was particularly upset to learn that Facebook was paying Snopes: “That felt really gross … Facebook has one mission and factchecking websites should have a completely different mission.”

Binkowski said that on at least one occasion, it appeared that Facebook was pushing reporters to prioritize debunking misinformation that affected Facebook advertisers, which she thought crossed a line: “You’re not doing journalism any more. You’re doing propaganda.” ...
:reading: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... o-cut-ties

:coffee:
Kim

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Regarding today's latest facebook scandal:

Facebook's biggest problem is that I can stop using it — and be just fine
Facebook's data-sharing issues may prompt people to #deleteFacebook, but the company's larger issue could be that the core product is no longer so important.
Winding down usage of Facebook may be just as effective as deleting it, and you don't need to lose your photos.

I'm not deleting Facebook. But I'm content not using it as much in the future, and that's the company's bigger problem.

Facebook needs oxygen to grow. When users engage with their friends, they give advertisers the eyeballs they so covet. And because Facebook offers so much targeting data with such a massive audience, brands just keep increasing their spending.

It not just advertisers using that data. According to the latest New York Times expose on Facebook's data-sharing practices, "more than 150 companies — most of them tech businesses" benefited from improperly shared information. Spotify and Amazon were among the beneficiaries.

Like many others, I've lost trust in Facebook. But I have more than 14 years of photos and videos on the site. It's become my storage vault for those cherished family events. I'm not going to burn my virtual photo album because of some unsavory data sharing. The reality is I don't much need the app for future activities. Google Photos and iPhoto can suffice, even though I may miss the nice comments and occasional emoji. The Facebook marketplace is occasionally useful, but I'm not buying and selling used stuff that often.

I don't have to cancel my Facebook account altogether for the company to feel the pain. I never shut down my Friendster or MySpace accounts — my friends and I just stopped using them.

So far, Facebook's user numbers and engagement levels have consistently grown, quarter after quarter, allowing the company to see past its many deficiencies. Reversing this trend should force the company into action. If you want to send a message, that should do it. Investors are clearly worried, pushing the stock down 5 percent on Wednesday and 22 percent this year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/19/faceboo ... -fine.html
... in my opinion

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:35 am

TeleSur: Facebook has struck a deal with Samsung to preinstall the app on the latest devices, making it impossible to delete the app.

link

... in my opinion

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:29 am

fwiw wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:35 am
TeleSur: Facebook has struck a deal with Samsung to preinstall the app on the latest devices, making it impossible to delete the app.

link ...
I have a Samsung Android phone and the biggest problem I have with it is that all the pre-installed apps I don't want take up so much of the memory that I can't install other apps that I do want. Apart from that, ignoring the pre-installed apps is not hard.

Apple are just as bad, and so are Google. They all want to own your whole life so that they can sell it to advertisers. :toilet:
But we tolerate it for the convenience. :crazy:

:namaste:
Kim