Petition to protect Singaporean Monks

Petitions, protests and activism
Wizard in the Forest

Petition to protect Singaporean Monks

Post by Wizard in the Forest » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:01 pm

Singaporean officials are forbidding the practice of alms rounds violating the rights of the Bhikkhu Sangha and they require our help and pressure to stand up for them. I hope you all sign the petition to help the Sangha.

https://www.change.org/p/buddhists-stop ... almsrounds

Meezer77

Re: Petition to protect Singaporean Monks

Post by Meezer77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm

Do you know why the officials wanting to ban alms rounds? Just curious about the other side of the story, though it does sound like discrimination.

Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 pm

Accusations that they are panhandling/vagrants because a fake Chinese monk was collecting money using an alms bowl and a grey robe. Thus the Theravada monks are being targeted and they aren't allowed to do alms rounds.

VividAwareness

Post by VividAwareness » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:58 pm

If Singapore monasteries receive even half the amount of cash donations that the Thai monastic community does (3.5 billion USD annually) then I'm quite sure that they can afford to pay to feed monks. Tradition just for the sake of tradition is indistinguishable from mindless repetition.

Monks could then systematically volunteer for community service instead of begging. This might help keep them away from drugs, off their cell phones, and away from other corruptions that are common in monastic communities in S.E. Asia in this age of degeneration. A little hard work never hurt anyone ...
“The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between the way nature works and the way people think.”

- Gregory Bateson, anthropologist, social scientist, linguist, semiotician, and cyberneticist

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:06 am

VividAwareness wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:58 pm
If Singapore monasteries receive even half the amount of cash donations that the Thai monastic community does (3.5 billion USD annually) then I'm quite sure that they can afford to pay to feed monks. Tradition just for the sake of tradition is indistinguishable from mindless repetition.

Monks could then systematically volunteer for community service instead of begging. This might help keep them away from drugs, off their cell phones, and away from other corruptions that are common in monastic communities in S.E. Asia in this age of degeneration. A little hard work never hurt anyone ...
That should really have begun ... If Singapore monasteries receive ... :smile:
I don't know how well you know Singapore but it's an oddity in many ways. I've visited briefly, several times, because it's one of the places we can break our horribly long flights from here to Europe and I decided it was a much nicer and more interesting place than the alternatives. (Dubai? No thanks!)
150 years ago it was a primitive fishing village on the tip of Malaya. Then the Brits came along and built a pretty decent colonial city there, importing Tamil labourers to do it, and invited the Chinese merchants to move in to the new port area. It has been basically quadri-cultural ever since, Malay-Tamil-Chinese-English. Everyone speaks English plus their own ethnic language and has at least a smattering of the other two.
Where does the Buddhism fit? The main community religions are naturally Islam and Hinduism. Christianity was encouraged by the English, and the Chinese, as far as I know, followed Taoist-Confucian traditions far more than Buddhism - and if they were Buddhist, they would have been Mahayanists, not Theravadin.

That was all off the top of my head. How about some facts? :tongue:
Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Singapore

:coffee:
Kim

Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:29 am

Nyom Gabriella, interested readers,

(Sadhu for such a compassioned thought, at first place. Let it be cleaned, purified a little)

Just to rethink, put on scale for judgement and actions:

1. Monks and the Sangha do not hold any rights but receive of what is given without string.

2. begging an "haking" is in most moder countries forbidden

3. There are less nations left where a Sangha is actually invited by the governer and really legal.

4. There are less monks really homeless and having given up rights and obligations and only less countries would legal allow such. Defacto most monks from western countries life in a illegal sphere or are not homeless, holding still on attributs of householders.

5. as a Citizent, a state-slave one has no means to give such. Just a king could do.

6. No rightous Sangha can ever be build up in according with the Dhamma-Vinaya in such as a "real" Democracy.

7. Citizen-lessness is hardly tolerated anywhere wordly legally. There are less oppotunity left for real Refuges and so this Savaka Sangha will soon totaly disappear, leaving behind a/many conventional void of Noble Ones. Householdersangha. Such as most like them this days.

Better then to engage to much meaningless without means is to search for the reast and to use still small openings for your self, wishing always to become a member of the tradition and gain ordination.

No need to comment on VividAwareness domest my super-self view, since it refects modern western thinking and preudo-liberalism aimed in controll is the very cause of your own lose.
Feel given to share merits and/or use it yourself. This post's content has come into being by generosity toward higher and so it's given as such, not dedicated for low worldly trade or commercial purpose or to bind not just toward higher and beyond.

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:54 am

I tried to research this to see if the story was true about a ban on monks making alms rounds, but have not found anything except mention of a law enacted a few years ago called something like the Destitute Persons Act that restricts begging.

I may try to contact Henry, who is a Vajra friend from Singapore.

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:56 am

Matthew Angby (if I remember rightly) posted about it on DWM a while ago and I looked it up. Seems to be true.

:namaste:

Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Piṇḍapāta is one of the things that is not just for a monastic's well being, it is one of the simplest ways householders can make merit and brings us in contact with the community of Monks and Nuns and is a gift to all of us. To make Piṇḍapāta a crime makes merit-making and free association a crime, and that should offend all of us. I'm lucky that to do Piṇḍapāta I have to cross two state lines, and it will be perfectly legal, but this is a thing we should try and use what power WE have as householders to defend the monastic life BECAUSE a monastic can have very little rights. It's the perfect cause to pitch aid to and one that benefits us all.