This guy figured out who in the world is the problem, and it's...

Using the Buddha’s teachings to preserve and enhance our well-being, as we engage with the world
fwiw

This guy figured out who in the world is the problem, and it's...

Post by fwiw » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:40 pm

It's a very long video, but put in 4 words:

The problem is YOU

Leo uses the term "the devil". I think it's more appropriate on a Buddhist forum to speak of "the problem"

He goes into Advaita Vedanta stuff and tries to work backwards from enlightenment, which is the opposite strategy to that the Buddha used: from our daily life here and now towards enlightenment

It's also a strategy adopted in certain branches of Buddhism by the way

Anyway I think he's got his system of thought pretty extensive and refined. We may not agree with everything but there can be interesting ideas to take away, or more importantly interesting self-questioning about the extent to which we harmonize our habits and decisions to our views and beliefs

... in my opinion

Pseudobabble

Re: This guy figured out who in the world is the problem, and it's...

Post by Pseudobabble » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:10 pm

While I find this guy... weird, to say the least, I think the point is exactly right:
The problem is YOU

Something relevant from another tradition:
Luke 6:37 wrote:Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
Pointing fingers is easy, self examination less so, and actually discovering and rectifying one's own failings is the hardest. It is easier and more pleasant to imagine that one is 'on the right side of history', so to speak, than to realise one is just as full of nastiness as anyone else.

fwiw

Re: This guy figured out who in the world is the problem, and it's...

Post by fwiw » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:10 am

Pseudobabble wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:10 pm
I find this guy... weird, to say the least
Actually I first heard from him on the advice of a ten vassa monk ordained at Pa Auk who spent his first 5 years there and went on to spend a few years in Wat Pah Nanachat and was still giving advice even to their abbot.

That said, I agree not all his reflection all aligned with Buddhism, but as an advaita vedanta proponent, he is not that far either and may have a number of things to say that are relevant for us
... in my opinion