Unclear Sub-forum purpose - What is meant by self-care?

Using the Buddha’s teachings to preserve and enhance our well-being, as we engage with the world
Samana Johann

Unclear Sub-forum purpose - What is meant by self-care?

Post by Samana Johann » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 am

In how far is this sub-forum dedicated to self-care? Since it seems to have best soils for best engagements.

"Using the Buddha’s teachings to preserve and enhance our well-being, as we (one) engage(s) with the world."

The two dhammic views on it:
"And how does one, when watching after others, watch after oneself? Through endurance, through harmlessness, and through a mind of kindness & sympathy. This is how one, when watching after others, watches after oneself.
"And how does one, when watching after oneself, watch after others? Through pursuing [the practice], through developing it, through devoting oneself to it. This is how one, when watching after oneself, watches after others.
Or more trancendentalistic, like who to get not fat while enjoying chocolate, or how to get not imprisoned for killing a "bad guy", or how to get not charged for stealing for the poor, or how to get sensual desires fixed without getting in debts? Or when to make beach holiday before its to late and you get burned out?

What is meant by "getting engaged into the world"? From a dhammic view this means to engage primary into sensuality.

Or is the forum to prevent giving addicted to fall into poor and homeless states?

Or to practice householder equanimity to be able to bear certain backward? "No self - nothing touched"-mantra sharing?

What is real self-care?
Feel given to share merits and/or use it yourself. This post's content has come into being by generosity toward higher and so it's given as such, not dedicated for low worldly trade or commercial purpose or to bind not just toward higher and beyond.

SethRich

Re: Unclear Sub-forum purpose - What is meant by self-care?

Post by SethRich » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:11 am

Greetings,

An example of self-care in a more general sense would be this...
Campaigning for human rights can be really tough. People are activists with Amnesty because they care deeply about people and want to create a world where everybody’s human rights are protected.

This can be a great motivator but can also put activists in a place where they’re exposed to humans rights abuses or where their deep drive to change the world impacts their mental health. Burnout and vicarious trauma happen all the time in the activist world and it’s important to keep a look out for the signs in yourself and your friends.
However, with a solid grounding in the Dharma, there may be Buddhist insights, techniques, meditations and such which can be brought into the mix, in order to reduce the depth and frequency of such scenarios.

Metta,
:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:24 am

So it was proper "detected" as possible outside of real self-care and thought for "self-care" like after the dhammic quotes.

So more a "who can help my foolishness not hurt and how can I get ride of my foolish acts fruits" and social-generosity-missuse-techniques-sharing place.

The cases where environmental-activist get imprisoned because of cutting wood for their camp... and then claim for activism for them... Great samples yes, but people are not that smart to see foolishness.
Feel given to share merits and/or use it yourself. This post's content has come into being by generosity toward higher and so it's given as such, not dedicated for low worldly trade or commercial purpose or to bind not just toward higher and beyond.

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:45 am

Would "Well-being" be a better name for the sub-forum?

:namaste:
Kim

Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:10 pm

A name does not change or transport a purpose, Nyom Kim, or is this suggestion toward keeping the objectivity defuse or open for self-harming?

The topic is merely meant to think wisely, or listen to wise, what self-care means. Even if calling it "selflessness" or "care for others", if not understood or the direction is not seen - maybe "for your long term well-being", it may carry what ever name and is of no ones real benefit. In that far the right practice serves for the interconnectsness in proper and real helpful way.

As told, it's the most effective forum actually, since for no being someone is more dear as oneself.

And to get it not missunderstood, it's not a demanding here, but engaging to give encouragement to reflect wisely or listen to wise.
All acts at large are selfish as long as not having entered the stream and all acts are for oneself as long as liberation is not gained.

It's important to keep the kamma-thing always in mind.

"self-care" is probably the best form name ever given in a Buddhist-engaging embodiment, if right understood and right objected. In that far, one might see the topic to stick down a Sadhu, or to bring it to such.

VividAwareness

Post by VividAwareness » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 am

I tend to use the term "personal existence" (in contextual relationship with "all of existence") in place of 'self'' ... as in "caring for one's personal existence".
“The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between the way nature works and the way people think.”

- Gregory Bateson, anthropologist, social scientist, linguist, semiotician, and cyberneticist

Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:08 am

A more Transcendentalist? Which section of them?

VividAwareness

Post by VividAwareness » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:02 am

Samana Johann wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:08 am
A more Transcendentalist? Which section of them?
No, not Transcendentalist ... which I'm entertained by but also critical of. I'm more influenced by the natural sciences and traditional dhamma ... both debunk the delusion of 'self' yet offer exquisite care for the personal existence of all living beings.
“The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between the way nature works and the way people think.”

- Gregory Bateson, anthropologist, social scientist, linguist, semiotician, and cyberneticist

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:36 pm

I think that the subtitle of the Self Care forum is a good explanation.
Using the Buddha’s teachings to preserve and enhance our well-being, as we engage with the world
Since most of us are not sitting off in a cave or forest retreat in a state of samadhi, we must be involved with the world, especially if we are trying to be engaged Buddhists. This forum section is dedicated to helping us apply the Buddha's teachings to our lives to help us maintain healthy mind, speech and body (including emotions) specifically in relation to engaging with the world.

Can members think of appropriate topic for this forum? I will start and suggest: how to maintain our faith when facing hostility from members of other faiths; how to be mindful when we are so busy with spouse, work, kids, etc. and how to avoid burnout; how do we deal with loneliness or personal tragedy, etc.

🙏
DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

binocular

Post by binocular » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:36 pm
Since most of us are not sitting off in a cave or forest retreat in a state of samadhi, we must be involved with the world, especially if we are trying to be engaged Buddhists. This forum section is dedicated to helping us apply the Buddha's teachings to our lives to help us maintain healthy mind, speech and body (including emotions) specifically in relation to engaging with the world.
"Healthy" according to whose standards of "health"?
Can members think of appropriate topic for this forum?
Normally, it is Dhamma practice itself that "self-care" is all about; normally, one engages in Dhamma practice _because_ of self-care to begin with.
I will start and suggest: how to maintain our faith when facing hostility from members of other faiths; how to be mindful when we are so busy with spouse, work, kids, etc. and how to avoid burnout; how do we deal with loneliness or personal tragedy, etc.
Looks like standard Dhamma topics anyway.

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:59 pm

binocular wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:38 pm
Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:36 pm
"Healthy" according to whose standards of "health"?
I imagine according to one's own standards, which would probably be based on Dharma teachings. For me, healthy means the absence of sickness, to the extent possible.

DS

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:28 pm

One point I should mention. Of course we all realize that we are in samsara. Our life is suffering. We all have problems. However, while we are in samsara, we can do things to minimize suffering, both our own suffering and that of others.

This section of the forum can be a place for us to discuss how to minimize suffering and increase healthiness specifically in regards to engaged Dhamma.

May you enjoy this brief talk by HHDL on healthy mind.

DS