Dangers of Marijuana

A discussion on all aspects of Engaged Buddhism
DeadCircuits

Re: Dangers of Marijuana

Post by DeadCircuits »

Speaking from personal experience, as someone who has dealt with addiction to marijuana, I personally think the main danger in marijuana is its apparent harmlessness. What I mean is, alcohol or heroin for instance, will at some stage start to cause your life to fall apart. They are destructive because of their addictive nature, the way they make you behave, and the negative health effects. With marijuana, it's quite possible to be high on it all day every day, and still function. It never quite becomes destructive enough, and thus it's harmful effects can go unnoticed.

Marijuana severely affected my motivation, my memory, and it worsened my social anxiety and made me depressed. I was holding down a job, and functioning, but I was in a weird twilight zone of demotivation, and just letting life drift by. Because I had been smoking to avoid difficult emotions since my late teens, I never really emotionally matured properly either. I would avoid things rather than deal with them etc.

Its taken quitting to see fully the damage that smoking marijuana did to me. I'm so much happier and more motivated now. I understand that some people can take or leave it, maybe indulge one evening a month or something, but as someone who has addictive tendencies I couldn't ever have that kind of relationship with it. If I had marijuana in my possession, I would be high literally all the time. I'm not here to argue that it is harmful for all who indulge, but I am convinced that there is a large portion of stoners who are completely oblivious to the fact that it is ruining their lives.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Same experience here, getting sober was perhaps the best life decision I have made, I don't know about everyone, but marijuana is not a light weight, take it or leave it drug, it can be incredibly strong and really dulls you to experiencing life with a clear head. Over 10 yrs sobriety now, no alcohol either.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

https://www.lamota.org/en/blog/when-has ... nnect-god/

This is an interesting article. Throughout the Islamic world, hashish use is common at Sufi shrines, much like how cannabis use for spiritual purposes is common for devotees of Lord Shiva, as well in tantric Buddhism and Taoism. One can be abstinent from cannabis while still learning about the history of its religious use.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

There's nothing spiritual about getting wasted, hashish is stronger than marijuana.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk.

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

lyndon taylor wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:20 am There's nothing spiritual about getting wasted, hashish is stronger than marijuana.
Are tantric Buddhists just getting wasted?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

yes
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

lyndon taylor wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:20 am There's nothing spiritual about getting wasted, hashish is stronger than marijuana.
Correct. Among the five basic ethical precepts is "I vow to never take intoxicants". Any exceptions are just rationalizations which all solid spiritual paths discourage.

"Correlation is not causation" is a buzz phrase with little value. The word means relationship and there sure is a relationship between intoxicants and bad, stupid or lazy behavior.
May all seek, find and follow the Path of Buddhas.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

Alan Watts said marijuana might help those struggling with meditation, by slowing their minds down enough to concentrate on the meditation.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Alan Watts was an alcoholic and died of alcoholism

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

lyndon taylor wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:26 am Alan Watts was an alcoholic and died of alcoholism
...not from marijuana. :hello:
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Presto Kensho wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:44 pm
lyndon taylor wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:26 am Alan Watts was an alcoholic and died of alcoholism
So you would take advice from an alcoholic on whether to do drugs or not??

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

lyndon taylor wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:51 am
Presto Kensho wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:44 pm
So you would take advice from an alcoholic on whether to do drugs or not??
No, people should think for themselves. Alan Watts never claimed to be an expert on anything.