Engaged Buddhists' Response to Violence in the Media as Entertainment

A discussion on all aspects of Engaged Buddhism
cnawan

Engaged Buddhists' Response to Violence in the Media as Entertainment

Post by cnawan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:38 pm

What is the engaged Buddhists' response to violence in the media as entertainment (television, movies, videos, apps, etc)? How are Buddhists' engaged? Are there more collective social responses taking affirmative action, besides the personal action/choice to abstain from consuming/funding such violent entertainment?

In Thich Nhat Hanh's, Happiness: Essential Mindfulness Practices (2009), he writes of the "Five Mindfulness Trainings". https://plumvillage.org/mindfulness-pra ... trainings/. The fifth is "Nourishment and Healing":

"Nourishment and Healing
Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth"

I am posting this questions because I am writing a research paper for my Masters program on this topic and and finding little response and am wondering why. Laura Saher

fwiw

Re: Engaged Buddhists' Response to Violence in the Media as Entertainment

Post by fwiw » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:58 am

Personally I just boycott them. I just can't stand violence purely as entertainment any more

I don't know that we could take a lot of efficient affirmative action in this case, which is probably why you have so little response. People are massively trying the same with the climate to very little effect. I would guess most people view fighting the positive image of violence as too long a shot to spend too much time trying to change it. I can understand though that parents who saw their child sucked up in such violent entertainments, go on to join the military and then got killed in action may feel much more strongly on the issue.
... in my opinion (<- meaning unless one is talking about something one has been a direct witness of, every single thing anyone ever says is no more than an opinion. Also, don't ask me to do your research for you)

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:55 am

fwiw wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:58 am
Personally I just boycott them. I just can't stand violence purely as entertainment any more

I don't know that we could take a lot of efficient affirmative action in this case, which is probably why you have so little response.
That's pretty much what I was going to say.
I would have added that Buddhists in the West are such a small minority that the even smaller Engaged fraction of them/us has no chance of swaying public opinion on this issue, so individual action (boycott/avoid) is almost the only ethical action we can take.

:namaste:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:10 am

Cnawan,
Perhaps you could suggest some avenues for buddhist engagement on this issue.
chownah

Kellyjourl

Engaged Buddhists Response to Violence in the Media as Entertainment

Post by Kellyjourl » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:36 pm

As long as possible, violence should be avoided. But sometimes when there is no other option, it can't be. But then it should be as a defense