Consensus?

A discussion on all aspects of Engaged Buddhism
chownah

Consensus?

Post by chownah » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:34 am

Should we work for some kind of consensus which spans the entirety of engaged buddhism?....I think not but maybe others would like this since the subject did come up.

What would be the reason(s) be for working to a consensus either spanning the entirey of engaged buddhism or even for a subgroup of engaged buddhism.....why work towards a consensus of any kind for any thing?
chownah

KathyLauren

Re: Consensus?

Post by KathyLauren » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Consensus is a difficult way to manage decisions. The difficulty of reaching consensus is inversely proportional to the number of individuals participating. For it to work, the topic has to be tightly-constrained and well-defined.

"Engaged Buddhism" is far too vague a concept to even attempt a consensus.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:50 pm

:goodpost:

Also, DWE is far too small to have any measurable impact on global Engaged Buddhism. Even if consensus might be possible to achieve, there would be nothing we can do on the issue, so we should spend our time more productively.

:namaste:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 am

TNH is one person who has had a measurable impact on engaged buddhism.....why could the 80 members of this forum not be able to make an impact?......not saying we would want to and not saying that we should but I think it clearly is possible.....also, I don't think it would take a consensus of the members....it would just take the will of the administration since it is the administration which controls the site and not the members.
chownah