It's Alan

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel (Engaged Buddhism)
Post Reply
alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

It's Alan

Post by alan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 am

Hi Friends. Some of you may know me know me from Dhamma Wheel.
Getting on this page because I'm "engaged"--and by that I mean, I care about how society, and how it should be structured.
I'm a Thervavada guy who has given up on Mahayana. Read the Suttas several times.
Would like to share my ideas an opinions about society.

I'm a photographer, I like Jazz, I eat good food and work out in the gym.

My opinions are often stated in direct terms. That is because I have no small talk, and cannot be bothered with nonsense.

But, I will endeavor to be as nice as possible.

Hello everyone!

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: It's Alan

Post by DNS » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 am

Welcome to DWE!


User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Posts: 1137
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am
Location: Tropical Queensland, Australia

Re: It's Alan

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:21 am

Welcome to DWE, Alan. :hello:

Can we hope for some more of your gorgeous photos?

:namaste:
Kim

SarathW
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Re: It's Alan

Post by SarathW » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 am

:hello:

denise
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: It's Alan

Post by denise » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:23 pm

:hello:

Tamdrin
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:23 am

Re: It's Alan

Post by Tamdrin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Hey Alan,

I read your thread about Trump on the other forum. Hate him too. Haha

Take care.

alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: It's Alan

Post by alan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Hi Kim. My photos are better than ever, after 3 years of working an hour a day in Lightroom and studying color theory.

I'm happy to show them in whatever forum you think they should be placed.

There is an "engaged" thing about it, because I do photography as a Buddhist practice, to keep me sane, and also because I think people need to see the beauty of the world. I've seen more of that than most people. So, it should be shared.

User avatar
Dorje Shedrub
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:47 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: It's Alan

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:52 pm

Welcome!

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Posts: 1137
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am
Location: Tropical Queensland, Australia

Re: It's Alan

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:12 am

alan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 pm
Hi Kim. My photos are better than ever, after 3 years of working an hour a day in Lightroom and studying color theory.

I'm happy to show them in whatever forum you think they should be placed.

There is an "engaged" thing about it, because I do photography as a Buddhist practice, to keep me sane, and also because I think people need to see the beauty of the world. I've seen more of that than most people. So, it should be shared.
:goodpost:

I've been doing the same thing for the same reasons for years, though not not at your level and not sharing on DW.
I think a thread in Environmental Dharma with a title like "The natural world - why we care for it" would be great.

:thumb:
Kim

alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: It's Alan

Post by alan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:33 pm

Hi Kim. Just put one up. Do you think the thread should be open to everyone who has natural beauty photos?

Sorry for the slow response time. I'm on WiFi, sometimes it goes out all day.

User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Posts: 1137
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am
Location: Tropical Queensland, Australia

Re: It's Alan

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:33 am

alan wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:33 pm
Hi Kim. Just put one up. Do you think the thread should be open to everyone who has natural beauty photos?
Yes - the technical quality is likely to be lower (though Dan74, for one, is pretty good) but participating is good for people and it means we're likely to get quite a variety of subjects, so why not?
alan wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:33 pm
Sorry for the slow response time. I'm on WiFi, sometimes it goes out all day.
There's no rush.

:namaste:
Kim

User avatar
Buck McGeehy
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:13 am

Re: It's Alan

Post by Buck McGeehy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:46 am

Tamdrin wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:59 pm
Hate him too.
If Trump actually did what we would like him to do, namely, take responsibility for his harmful words and become a wise leader, Democrats would lose their sh--. What if we practice metta toward Trump and all his supporters? Instead of hate.
Engaged Buddhism - A movement within Buddhism which puts emphasis on taking affirmative actions within one's community to address manifest human suffering such as poverty, hunger, environmental harm, and public health issues.

alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: It's Alan

Post by alan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:14 pm

That will never happen, because Trump is delusional and a pathological liar.
People who cannot see this in an instant create a problem for me: How is it that I can see the obvious, but they can't?
Last edited by DNS on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the parts about DWT out

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: It's Alan

Post by DNS » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:32 am

alan,

Who do you support for POTUS, 2020, so far? Any particular Democrat candidate that you like?

alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: It's Alan

Post by alan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:16 pm

I'm maintaining sanity by not getting involved this early.
You can delete my previous post.

alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: It's Alan

Post by alan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks. I'm for Schiff/Hoelzle 2020.

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: It's Alan

Post by DNS » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:29 pm

alan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:49 pm
Thanks. I'm for Schiff/Hoelzle 2020.
:thumb: Okay, I'll vote for you if he wins the nomination and chooses you as his running mate. :tongue:

I like Bill Weld on the GOP side and Tulsi Gabbard on the Dem side, but neither have any actual chance of winning.

:popcorn:

alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: It's Alan

Post by alan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:20 am

Biden is starting to show his age. With Schiff/Hoelzle you get a team that can work together, and each of us has strong points.
For instance, Adam is a pencil-necked geek, and I am not. He has a lot of experience in Washington, and is very aware of how the system works, and is good on TV. Problem is, Trump can make fun of him, call him names, and he will not have what it takes to fire back.

I, on the other hand, relish that challenge. Nothing would make happier than to stand up to Trump on a debate platform and totally kick his ass. You know I can do it.

Perfect team!

User avatar
SethRich
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Re: It's Alan

Post by SethRich » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 am

Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 am
Hi Friends. Some of you may know me know me from Dhamma Wheel.
Getting on this page because I'm "engaged"--and by that I mean, I care about how society, and how it should be structured.
I'm a Thervavada guy who has given up on Mahayana. Read the Suttas several times.
Would like to share my ideas an opinions about society.
Likewise. Good to see you here.

:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Posts: 1137
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am
Location: Tropical Queensland, Australia

Re: It's Alan

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:05 am

SethRich wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 am
Greetings Alan,
alan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 am
Hi Friends. Some of you may know me know me from Dhamma Wheel.
Getting on this page because I'm "engaged"--and by that I mean, I care about how society, and how it should be structured.
I'm a Thervavada guy who has given up on Mahayana. Read the Suttas several times.
Would like to share my ideas an opinions about society.
Likewise. Good to see you here.

:candle:
G'day, Retro. Long time no see - here on DWE, at least.

Winter nights must be long in Melbourne these days, just past the solstice, ideal for indoor pursuits like online forums.

:namaste:
Kim

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests