Take the Harvard Implicit Bias Test

Applying the Dharma to social justice issues – race, religion, sexuality and identity
Buck McGeehy

Take the Harvard Implicit Bias Test

Post by Buck McGeehy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:59 am

For those who are serious about self examination:
https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html
Engaged Buddhism - A movement within Buddhism which puts emphasis on taking affirmative actions within one's community to address manifest human suffering such as poverty, hunger, environmental harm, and public health issues.

Kim O'Hara

Re: Take the Harvard Implicit Bias Test

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:00 am

Thanks for the link, Buck.
I was curious enough to follow through and try the test.

My comments, for the benefit of others who may be curious -
There is a whole suite of tests on attitudes to all sorts of things - religion (only looks at monotheism, unfortunately), race, gender, etc.
Most of them seem to be very culture-specific to the US - especially any to do with race :rolleye: or politics.
I did the gender/academic fields test, which is supposed to see whether the test-taker associates sciences or humanities with male or female. My results were exactly what I would have expected if the methodology works, i.e. a "moderate automatic association for Male with Science and Female with Liberal Arts." (Why would I expect that? Well, society has spent decades drumming that association into me. D'oh.)
So maybe the methodology does work, which is fine.

:popcorn:
Kim

Buck McGeehy

Post by Buck McGeehy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:01 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:00 am
My results were exactly what I would have expected if the methodology works, i.e. a "moderate automatic association for Male with Science and Female with Liberal Arts." (Why would I expect that? Well, society has spent decades drumming that association into me. D'oh.)
So maybe the methodology does work, which is fine.
The methodology works. It may be most revealing for those who believe they have no implicit bias toward people with darker skin.
Engaged Buddhism - A movement within Buddhism which puts emphasis on taking affirmative actions within one's community to address manifest human suffering such as poverty, hunger, environmental harm, and public health issues.

dxm_dxm

Post by dxm_dxm » Sat May 18, 2019 12:26 pm

This test is known to, ironically, be a perfect example of implicit bias itself and is not taken serious anywhere. It's a deliberate fraud. The pictures with black people from this test are way more aggressive, ugly and threatening than the average black population, while the pictures with white man are all nice pictures. If you would reverse this and use nice pictures of black man vs ugly pictures of white man, results would be different.

The creators of this test are the ones having problem with implicit bias. The fact that they deliberately, consciously and in full knowledge engaged in such manipulation and deceiving means they should be the one to get a nasty label on their head. Why not psychopathy?

Leeuwenhoek

Post by Leeuwenhoek » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:08 am

It generally know as the Implicit Association Test (IAT)

My survey of social science papers and from listening to psychologists who have looked into the IAT indicates that there is something there but we should be cautious about interpretation. In some cases later studies contradict earlier, dramatically reported studies. Test takers should study the notices about the limitations of the test. (see quote below) A number of social scientists advise caution in it's use especially for anti-race training, programs or initiatives.

Is it "a deliberate fraud?" I'd say that judgement is a bit over the top. But it seems that not everyone who uses the test is as careful and ethical as the creators of the Harvard test.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Can-W ... cit/238807

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/ob ... sociations
Look at the last section on Political Preferences. Most of us are more strongly influenced by what other people in our "in group" believe or say than we might like to believe.

https://qz.com/1144504/the-world-is-rel ... ht-racism/
https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/3/7 ... est-racism

Though its creators and managers are frank about the test’s limitations regarding individual test-takers, the tool remains highly popular. ...

The sheer number of times the test has been taken raises questions about how the public is perceiving it, and whether or not the test’s shortcomings have been adequately communicated to the public.

Lai told The Fix that the “debriefing” page of the implicit association test clarifies what it may and may not measure. “These results are not a definitive assessment of your implicit preference. The results may be influenced by variables related to the test (e.g., the category labels or particular items used to represent the categories on the IAT) or the person (e.g., how tired you are),” one disclaimer reads.

Smith expressed frustration with the way the public learns about the various facets of the test. ...

“I know that, at Project Implicit, we work to have everything we say on the website, in our talks, in our published research, etc. be as scientifically accurate as possible. We don’t say words like ‘racist’ ever, for example. I don’t think anyone in our group even uses ‘prejudice’ to refer to implicit measures. So, how do we deal with popular press articles that refer to ‘the Harvard racism test’? We each have only so much time and energy in any one given day,” he said.
-- https://www.thecollegefix.com/after-two ... bias-test/

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Indeed I don't think this test is very serious and I think it testes more hand coordination than implicit racial or otherwise bias
... in my opinion