Hellish Psyche of SJWs

Applying the Dharma to social justice issues – race, religion, sexuality and identity
Nicholas

Hellish Psyche of SJWs

Post by Nicholas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:20 pm

Too much social justice warring is bad for the mind.

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... tions.html

justsit

Re: Hellish Psyche of SJWs

Post by justsit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Perhaps the topic should be called "Hellish Psyche of Human Beings." So-called SJW's certainly have no corner on the market of negative emotions. Every one of those listed in the article can apply to anyone at some point. It's why we all practice.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:53 pm

justsit wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:49 pm
Perhaps the topic should be called "Hellish Psyche of Human Beings." So-called SJW's certainly have no corner on the market of negative emotions. Every one of those listed in the article can apply to anyone at some point. It's why we all practice.
[Meta discussion removed - DS]

The point is that if one wishes to accelerate the hellish mind, dedicating oneself to SJW is an excellent way to do so. Thus 'too much' was written.

justsit

Post by justsit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:56 pm

Good to know!

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 am

The article is from a decidedly conservative website....nothing wrong with that but it should be kept in mind. After a short introduction they lay out their narrative:
Fast-forwarded to the late 2010s, what type of thorn in the side of decent, hardworking, and traditional people in the United States best embodies the seven major negative emotions? Why, it's none other than social justice warriors.
I. The Emotion of Fear....
II. The Emotion of Jealousy....
III. The Emotion of Hatred....
IV. The Emotion of Revenge....
V. The Emotion of Greed....
VI. The Emotion of Superstition....
VII. The Emotion of Anger....
https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... z5bJmOoKMm
The way this works from a propogandists perspective is that any politically motivated conservative can label anyone in the opposition as an SJW and then they are smeared with the stigma of being infected with these emotions and these emotions then become the perceived reason for their political stance and actions.

Also, note that though the article says "what type of thorn in the side of decent, hardworking, and traditional people in the United States best embodies the seven major negative emotions? Why, it's none other than social justice warriors."...(is this demonizing someone and sanctifying someone else?)...again, while it says that, it does not say that perhaps many members of the "alt-right" (especially think of white nationalists but also including many others) probably fit the description just as well if not better. Note: I am not suggesting that an identical article be published substituting "white nationalists" for "SJW".....the problem with this article is the way it is written; with the topics it includes and the topics it does not include it constitutes a demonization of whoever it is pointed at.
Also, note that a common statement found on the right is that sjw is identity politics as a way to smear people on the left....but notice that this article which arises from the right is itself identity politics and thus the right should be painted with the same brush.......my view is that almost if not all politics is identity politics.
chownah
chownah

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:44 am

chownah wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 am
...the problem with this article is the way it is written; with the topics it includes and the topics it does not include it constitutes a demonization of whoever it is pointed at.
:thumb:
True.
chownah wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 am
Note: I am not suggesting that an identical article be published substituting "white nationalists" for "SJW"....
C'mon, you can do it - even if it's only "published" here on DWE.
:smile:

But you could submit it to the site which published the original and see whether they think it's any good. If they do, they are playing fair. If they don't, they are playing propaganda.
:stir:

:coffee:
Kim

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:16 am

I guess you can define a SWJ as someone who fits this description and then it becomes true by definition, if logically somewhat circular.

On the other hand, if a woman seeking to end domestic violence or a man working for a better deal for refugees stuck on Australia's detention centre in Nauru are SWJs, do they necessarily embody these qualities more than agood traditional bank exec, for instance? Well, maybe to Nicholas they do, but then one has to live in a very ideological little universe, kinda like the projected SWJs..

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:09 pm

It is not just the common point that negative emotions are destructive to one's mind and life, all spiritual paths say something like that. More to the point is that social or political activism combined with indifference to one's mental or emotional state is bad for the activist mind. The 'end' of a 'just' society makes the Warrior eager to use whatever emotions, methods & means will work.

It is plain that not everyone who works to reduce or repair injustices is such a warrior, but there are plenty who fit the bill of an angry warrior. Social justice workers are not the same as the wild warriors.

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Nicholas wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:09 pm
It is not just the common point that negative emotions are destructive to one's mind and life, all spiritual paths say something like that. More to the point is that social or political activism combined with indifference to one's mental or emotional state is bad for the activist mind. The 'end' of a 'just' society makes the Warrior eager to use whatever emotions, methods & means will work.
That is as true of the far-Right bully boys as it is of the SJW, but the article with which you began the thread applies it only to the Left and uses it, as Chownah pointed out and I followed up on, to demonise those on the Left.
The article is therefore primarily polemical, however much truth there is in it.

:namaste:
Kim

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 am

I think most of us are just a bunch of libtard soyboys :toast:
... in my opinion

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:42 am

Personally I prefer honest assholes over dishonest assholes.

When you look at the behaviour of some people who are supposedly dedicated to high ideals, what shows is in fact that they seek domination over others, using their high ideals as a vehicle for obtaining and exercising that dominance. This is a particularly easy thing to pull off when you are pretending to defend the ideals that a society holds sacred - the Spanish Inquisition provides a good, if overworked, example.

It's pretty easy to test for this:
- Those actually committed to peace and love on earth probably wouldn't burn people alive.
- Those actually committed to justice with respect to the disadvantaged probably wouldn't spend their time in their nice heated homes, eating avocado toast ( :stir: ), and doxxing randomers who express differing opinions.

'Real' SJWs wouldn't even be labeled as such - probably no-one would even notice them - they are the man collecting for charity outside the bus station, the woman working in a homeless shelter. Not aggressive delusionals hoping to bolster their self-image as 'the good guys' by spewing vitriol.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:19 pm

There is actually a wikipedia page dedicated to SJWs.
From the early 1990s to the early 2000s, social-justice warrior was used as a neutral or complimentary phrase.
Katherine Martin, the head of U.S. dictionaries at Oxford University Press, said in 2015 that "[a]ll of the examples I've seen until quite recently are lionizing the person".
The term's negative use became mainstream due to the 2014 Gamergate controversy, emerging as the favoured term of Gamergate proponents to describe their ideological opponents.
The negative connotation has primarily been aimed at those espousing views adhering to social progressivism, cultural inclusivity, or feminism. This usage implies that a person is engaging in disingenuous social justice arguments or activism to raise his or her personal reputation. Allegra Ringo writes for Vice that "in other words, SJWs don't hold strong principles, but they pretend to. The problem is, that's not a real category of people. It's simply a way to dismiss anyone who brings up social justice."
Vice reporter Clinton Nguyen quoted the term during a report which analyzed the aggressive behavior behind 'social justice'-oriented Tumblr users, citing to an example in which Tumblr users engaged in sustained harassment towards an artist on the site over the content of the artist's work. The subsequent torment was so vicious that the artist attempted suicide.
Martin states that "the perceived orthodoxy [of progressive politics] has prompted a backlash among people who feel their speech is being policed".

And the best part, as far as I am concerned:
In May 2014, the concept was incorporated into a parody role-playing video game titled Social Justice Warriors. Developed by Nonadecimal Creative, Social Justice Warriors involved the concept of debating online against Internet trolls who make racist and other provocative comments by choosing from different responses such as "'dismember their claims with your logic,' rebroadcast their message to be attacked by others, or go for the personal attack." Users were able to select a character class; and gameplay involved changes to user meters of Sanity and Reputation. Game creator Eric Ford explained that the game was designed to foster critical thinking and was not "intended to suggest that racist, sexist, or other offensive comments shouldn't be confronted online. The goal is to encourage critical thinking on how it can be done more effectively, and at less cost to the real-world social justice warriors."
It can also be entertaining to read the definitions over at the Urban Dictionary.
... in my opinion

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Nicholas wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:09 pm

It is plain that not everyone who works to reduce or repair injustices is such a warrior, but there are plenty who fit the bill of an angry warrior. Social justice workers are not the same as the wild warriors.
Yes, I agree. And of course I know characters who fit this description. My concern was to avoid broadbrushing all social activism. And realistically, it is a spectrum - we can all be more aware of our mental and emotional states, and some folks with limited self-awareness still manage to do a lot of good, while a great deal of selfawareness can induce Hamlet-like paralysis.

WatRatPanyo

Post by WatRatPanyo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:27 pm

Social Justice warriors as they are being called have had many names.

The civil Rights movement.

The women's suffrage movement.

The list goes on an on.

The rhetoric against social justice is quite shameful.

If we wish to Target individuals for discriminate and harm just be direct and focused with your discrimination.

It makes everything easier.

When we paint with a broad brush of animosity and discrimation it's not only of course dangerous and violent but it's also insincere and indirect.

People are not hoards of single celled organisms.

They are human beings.

All "blacks" aren't the same.

All "whites" aren't the same.

All "conservatives" aren't the same

All "liberals" aren't the same.

I think this kind of vaguity is quite harmful to social systems and accountability of those in power or those with privelage.

Rather than engage with reality as if we are rooting for our favorite sports team why not take life step by step and work out the most direct and compassionate way of resolving ignorance and violence.

Both internal and external.

Peace :)

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:57 pm

:goodpost:

:thumb:

:anjali:
... in my opinion

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm

I think right and wrong actions begin with intention. There is no one-objective criteria that determines what makes one a SJW (neither in the negative or positive sense).
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.