Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Applying the Dharma to social justice issues – race, religion, sexuality and identity
alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by alan »

Hi Friends. My name is Alan and I suffer from TAD.

Reason is, as an "engaged" Buddhist, I'm extremely upset about this takeover of American (and as we increasingly see, world) politics and society from a person I consider to be insane.
What gets me the most is that how obvious it is. Took me a few seconds to see through his BS and bluster. Yet, many others have fallen for it, and try as I might, there is no way to speak to his supporters. Logic does not register to them, facts do not matter. Any argument I make results in a hateful response, or just an unfriend on Facebook. I know, because I've been attempting to do this for awhile. The result is always the same---Trump supporters are impervious to reason, they respond in anger, and then, their feelings go grievance grow even stronger.

This pisses me off, and I also find it depressing as Hell.

I'm leaving America soon, because I no longer want to be here. Anyone else feel the same way?
User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am
Location: Tropical Queensland, Australia

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by Kim O'Hara »

alan wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:01 pm Hi Friends. My name is Alan and I suffer from TAD.

Reason is, as an "engaged" Buddhist, I'm extremely upset about this takeover of American (and as we increasingly see, world) politics and society from a person I consider to be insane.
What gets me the most is that how obvious it is. Took me a few seconds to see through his BS and bluster. Yet, many others have fallen for it, and try as I might, there is no way to speak to his supporters. Logic does not register to them, facts do not matter. Any argument I make results in a hateful response, or just an unfriend on Facebook. I know, because I've been attempting to do this for awhile. The result is always the same---Trump supporters are impervious to reason, they respond in anger, and then, their feelings go grievance grow even stronger.

This pisses me off, and I also find it depressing as Hell.
I sympathise, but I will also point out that it makes a terrific lesson - a whole series of lessons - about attachment to views.
I'm leaving America soon, because I no longer want to be here. Anyone else feel the same way?
Not presently, but I have done so in the past when we have had exceptionally horrible politicians here.
:thinking:
As horrible as Trump? Yes, some of them - but without his power, I'm happy to say.

:coffee:
Kim
alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by alan »

Hi Kim. My experience of losing 1500 "friends" on fb over the past two years has been, as you said, a lesson in attachments to views.
I thought people would continue to enjoy my photos, maybe agree to disagree, or engage in a high-minded debate.

I was wrong. No one did that. Everyone was too attached to their views. It is destroying society and politics.
User avatar
Dorje Shedrub
Posts: 449
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:47 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

America is exceptionally divided at the moment. It is a difficult time.

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL
alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by alan »

Yes, and the reason for that is Conservatives are basically afraid of anyone other than their tribe, and we have an entire TV network devoted to making that problem worse by spreading propaganda and lies. I'm referring to FOX, of course.

This disease is spreading--Trumpism is becoming a virus infecting the entire world.

Depresses the Hell out of me.
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by DNS »

The Trump supporters refer to this as Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Image

So apparently there is TAD or TDS, depending on your view of Trump.
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by DNS »

alan (and others), what would you say are Trump's worst failures in office and which (if any) are his successes?

For me, I'd say the Corporate tax cuts are a huge mistake. The national debt is already around 20 trillion and this will only make it worse. How will the government get its funds to operate?

For success, I'd say, at least he hasn't sent us to any new wars, which is a huge improvement from G W Bush.
User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am
Location: Tropical Queensland, Australia

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by Kim O'Hara »

DNS wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:08 am For success, I'd say, at least he hasn't sent us to any new wars, which is a huge improvement from G W Bush.
That's setting a very low bar.

:toilet:
Kim
chownah
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:08 am

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by chownah »

alan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 am Yes, and the reason for that is Conservatives are basically afraid of anyone other than their tribe, and we have an entire TV network devoted to making that problem worse by spreading propaganda and lies. I'm referring to FOX, of course.

This disease is spreading--Trumpism is becoming a virus infecting the entire world.

Depresses the Hell out of me.
You say it really depresses you. It is sad that you suffer so much. What do you think that you or the posters here can do to help with this?
chownah
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by DNS »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 am
DNS wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:08 am For success, I'd say, at least he hasn't sent us to any new wars, which is a huge improvement from G W Bush.
That's setting a very low bar.

:toilet:
Kim
:D That is America, Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave . . . a very militaristic country where war is glamorized and big bucks are made through the military-industrial-complex; so yes, the bar is very low, unfortunately.
User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am
Location: Tropical Queensland, Australia

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by Kim O'Hara »

chownah wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:07 am
alan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 am Yes, and the reason for that is Conservatives are basically afraid of anyone other than their tribe, and we have an entire TV network devoted to making that problem worse by spreading propaganda and lies. I'm referring to FOX, of course.

This disease is spreading--Trumpism is becoming a virus infecting the entire world.

Depresses the Hell out of me.
You say it really depresses you. It is sad that you suffer so much. What do you think that you or the posters here can do to help with this?
chownah
:console: would be a good start.
I imagine that being anti-Trump in some parts of the country would be a lonely life.

:namaste:
Kim
Bundokji
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by Bundokji »

DNS wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:08 am alan (and others), what would you say are Trump's worst failures in office and which (if any) are his successes?

For me, I'd say the Corporate tax cuts are a huge mistake. The national debt is already around 20 trillion and this will only make it worse. How will the government get its funds to operate?

For success, I'd say, at least he hasn't sent us to any new wars, which is a huge improvement from G W Bush.
Hello Dr. David,

The national debt of the US is huge in $$ terms, but as a percentage of the GDP, it is comparable to many countries in the world. Also most of the US national debt is in US dollars, which means the US can never go bankrupt.

When it comes to wars, even though the Trump administration did not wage a major war so far, many believe that the world is far less safe than it was before he took office. His approach "America first" has divided the world, increased tension between nations and arms race is back as it was during the cold war era. The fruits of his policies on national and international security is to be seen in the long term in my opinion.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.
chownah
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:08 am

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by chownah »

Yeah, he hasn't started a war yet.....but if he does start one it will be a good one....it will be a great one....it will be the greatest one ever.........and there is hope that we will see this greatest war ever because he is saying he is going to pull out of the nuclear arms agreement with russia!

Hey, alan, do you want me to give you a hug?
chownah
Dan74
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:57 pm

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by Dan74 »

With Trump, I think it makes sense to try and separate Trump-the-man, Trump-the-politician and Trump-the-President.

Trump-the-man is a shyster, womaniser, habitual liar and a narcissist, egotistic and shallow but also a charismatic deal-maker and a terrific self-promoter with excellent street-smarts. Managing the election campaign and the pressure of presidency especially at his age isn't something many of us can truly imagine, so kudos to him for that too.

Trump-the-politician has spoken to the forgotten people, abandoned by the establishment, as has been documented in several recent books. The workers whose jobs have gone overseas, the folks who see city elites on the telly from a world so different to their own, who feel unrepresented and often ridiculed. The deplorables too, who feel resentful for any of the above or other reasons and blame whatever their favourite minority is for all their ills.

Trump-the-president has imposed tariffs which is more of a socialist thing, though no one mentions this and of course it remains to be seen what the fallout from this may be. Trump-the-president seems to be getting somewhere with North Korea, but we will see. And Trump-the-president, after all the game-changing threats is actually getting European countries to spend more on defense. Regarding the strong economy, it's a complicated issue, who deserves the credit, but the fact is it is strengthening, right? Contrary to all expectations, he not only won, but is delivering on his promises, for better or for worse. Of course Trump-the-president also failed to condemn the nazis, lies habitually, attacked the FBI and the the judges and has brough publich discourse to a new low.

But all in all, I find there are many aspects to Trump, and very likely you focus on some and brush aside the others. In this way he becomes a convenient effigy of all that is evil and rotten, but as many pundits have observed, Trump is a symptom, not the cause. And no, he is not all bad. I am sure he even tries to do good - to get into the history books as a great president and all!
Pseudobabble
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 am

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by Pseudobabble »

Dan74 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 am With Trump, I think it makes sense to try and separate Trump-the-man, Trump-the-politician and Trump-the-President.

Trump-the-man is a shyster, womaniser, habitual liar and a narcissist, egotistic and shallow but also a charismatic deal-maker and a terrific self-promoter with excellent street-smarts. Managing the election campaign and the pressure of presidency especially at his age isn't something many of us can truly imagine, so kudos to him for that too.

Trump-the-politician has spoken to the forgotten people, abandoned by the establishment, as has been documented in several recent books. The workers whose jobs have gone overseas, the folks who see city elites on the telly from a world so different to their own, who feel unrepresented and often ridiculed. The deplorables too, who feel resentful for any of the above or other reasons and blame whatever their favourite minority is for all their ills.

Trump-the-president has imposed tariffs which is more of a socialist thing, though no one mentions this and of course it remains to be seen what the fallout from this may be. Trump-the-president seems to be getting somewhere with North Korea, but we will see. And Trump-the-president, after all the game-changing threats is actually getting European countries to spend more on defense. Regarding the strong economy, it's a complicated issue, who deserves the credit, but the fact is it is strengthening, right? Contrary to all expectations, he not only won, but is delivering on his promises, for better or for worse. Of course Trump-the-president also failed to condemn the nazis, lies habitually, attacked the FBI and the the judges and has brough publich discourse to a new low.

But all in all, I find there are many aspects to Trump, and very likely you focus on some and brush aside the others. In this way he becomes a convenient effigy of all that is evil and rotten, but as many pundits have observed, Trump is a symptom, not the cause. And no, he is not all bad. I am sure he even tries to do good - to get into the history books as a great president and all!
There's one you missed: Trump-the-Troll. When your opposition is emotionally dependent on a rigid and internally contradictory ideology, it is very easy to work them into a frothing rage, which makes them look stupid. It is a classic trolling tactic.
User avatar
fwiw
Posts: 1172
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by fwiw »

Trump is just a symptom of a larger and deeper problem. There is no democracy. Just an oligarchy that disguises as one. I think most people in most countries can see that whether the right or the left is elected, we always get the same policies, the differences being most of the time only in terms of societal issues (gay marriage, this or that bathroom law etc.) that are of no consequence to the oligarchy.
... just my opinion, for what it's worth
justsit
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by justsit »

fwiw wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:51 pm Trump is just a symptom of a larger and deeper problem. There is no democracy. Just an oligarchy that disguises as one. I think most people in most countries can see that whether the right or the left is elected, we always get the same policies, the differences being most of the time only in terms of societal issues (gay marriage, this or that bathroom law etc.) that are of no consequence to the oligarchy.
:goodpost:
This, exactly. Trump is the perfect front man; a master of diversion, a shell game specialist, a con so blatant he could make PT Barnum blush. Divert the marks' attention, keep them hyped up over issues of no real import, make sure their attention is anywhere other than where the money is going.

As an aside, here's an interesting article in Smithsonian magazine discussing Barnum and a recent movie about his life. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180967634/. The last paragraph: “Contrary to popular belief,... Barnum’s great discovery was not how easy it was to deceive the public, but rather, how much the public enjoyed being deceived.”
alan
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by alan »

Hey David, I would say Trump's worst failures are not just the tax cut--which is horrible economics--and will lead to the inevitable cry to cut the deficit from conservatives.
This, any Republican president would have done, because that is what they do. They live to cut taxes on rich people, and hurt poor people.
No, I'd say his worst failure is in just being himself. A reality TV star. He cares only about his ego. He cares nothing for others. And that person does not deserve to be in that position.

Trump is a God Dam Narcissist. He's delusional. He is the least mindful person on earth. But smart people know that.
So, what is his worst failure in office? I'd say it is the manner in which he speaks. He is a tribal leader who incites violence. This, America has never seen before. And it is just such a God Dam disaster that so many Americans are stupid, ignorant and foolish enough to follow him.

Makes me sick.
User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 am
Location: Tropical Queensland, Australia

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Alan,
I'm not sure if this will make you feel worse, because it's about Trump, or better, because it shows he really is as bad as you think, but here it is anyway:
trump-violence.jpg
trump-violence.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
Did Donald Trump Encourage Violence at His Rallies?
A viral cartoon accurately presents several quotations by the then-presidential candidate, delivered on the campaign trail in 2015 and 2016.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donal ... -violence/

:coffee:
Kim
DeadCircuits
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Post by DeadCircuits »

I used to get extremely anxious about it, but then I simply stopped paying attention. The anxiety went away.

The issue with Trump is that he is a lightening rod for negativity and division. Sometimes the only way to escape that kind of vortex is to stop listening to it all.

All of the things I was anxious about, such as him recklessly stumbling into a nuclear war etc. have not yet come to pass. Whatever it was that was making me anxious was beyond my control, at least from this side of the pond. So I just let go of the part of me that wanted to keep watching the car crash. I feel way better, and so far nothing I was worried about has actually come into being.

I decided to focus on things I can change. My life is tangibly better for having done so, and I wouldn't be so arrogant as to presume I have made anyone else's life better, but I try to do that too.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lyndon taylor and 15 guests