Applying the Dharma for the preservation of planet Earth and its inhabitants
Kim O'Hara

Re: Climate change - politics and activism

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:23 am
Hit 'em in the hip pocket.
https://time.com/5752188/financial-worl ... te-change/

I've been familiar with the successes of Market Forces - https://www.marketforces.org.au/ - for some years. It's good to hear that similar groups are working elsewhere.

:jedi:
Kim
And more:
...Divestment from fossil fuel is being turbo-charged by the rise of institutional shareholder activism. The Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change now has a combined $24 trillion in assets under management, and is developing “a practical and useable framework for investors to be able to understand what it would mean for a pension fund to align with the goals of the Paris Agreement.” In other words, it is developing a practical guide for its members to use in dumping coal. ...
:reading: https://www.smh.com.au/environment/clim ... 53omu.html

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Excellent advice for everyone concerned about climate change - or, indeed, any other problem which needs social action.
You are scrolling through the news and see yet another story about climate change.

Australia is on fire. Indonesia is drowning. At the same time, Donald Trump is trying to make it easier to build new fossil-fuel projects.

As you read, your chest tightens ...

As an environmental writer, I’m often asked for guidance on coping with climate change. I have thoughts. Even better, I have a five-point plan to manage the psychological toll of living with climate change and to become part of the solution.
:reading: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/opin ... hange.html

:namaste:
Kim

SethRich

Post by SethRich »

Greetings,

It should go without saying, but this is a brief reminder not to be a terrorist.

UK home secretary defends Extinction Rebellion’s inclusion on terror list, after group judged to promote ‘extremist ideology’

:group:

:candle:
"He goes to hell, the one who asserts what didn’t take place" (Ud 4.8)
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

"Transition to greatness" (Donald J. Trump)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

G'day, mate,

It should go without saying, but this is a brief reminder not to be an alarmist.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... eter-fahy-
The official scheme to stop people becoming terrorists risks being damaged by scandals such as listing Extinction Rebellion as an extremist ideology, a former senior police chief has said.

Sir Peter Fahy, who was head of Prevent from 2010 to 2015, said confidence from communities was vital to its success and legitimacy.
or a leftie-basher -
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... error-list
Putting Extinction Rebellion on extremist list 'completely wrong', says Keir Starmer

Labour leadership frontrunner joins police chiefs in denouncing the move
or simply uninformed -
https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/extinc ... 4424116629
Extinction Rebellion (XR) has criticised police for including the group on a list of extremist organisations in an official report.

... “Teachers, grandparents, nurses have been trying their best with loving nonviolence to get politicians and big business to do something about the dire state of our planet.

“And this is how the establishment responds.”
Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Help! I can't believe it's for real and I can't prove it isn't!
During an appearance on the Understanding the Times radio program this weekend, former Minnesota congresswoman Michele Bachmann called on Christian pastors to reassure the people that climate change doesn’t pose a threat, thanks to a promise God made in the Old Testament.

“I would encourage pastors to start preaching on this issue of climate change and God’s view of climate change,” Bachmann told host Jan Markell in an audio clip flagged by Right Wing Watch. “The very covenant was established by God and Noah. And that covenant was that sin was so gross in the world that God had to bring about judgment, and then he had to bring about salvation, and from there came Abraham.”

“God put a rainbow in the sky as a sign of his covenant and he said very clearly to the entire world, ‘Never again will there be judgment, never again will the world be flooded,’” Bachman added.

According to Bachmann, when it comes to God’s word, you can “take it to the bank.”

“And what is it these frauds tells us with climate change?” she said. “That the world’s going to be flooded. Isn’t it interesting they’re saying it’s going to be another catastrophe, it’s flooding, we’re going to be flooded? God says we will never be flooded.” ...
https://deadstate.org/michele-bachmann- ... re-floods/
:rolleye:

I guess if it's for real, I can feel somewhat better about our worst-case Aussie politicians, so that's a (sort of) win.
And if it's satire, I can feel somewhat better about the worst-case US politicians, so that's a (sort of) win, too.

I think.

:rolleye:
Kim

fwiw

Post by fwiw »

Michele Bachmann, not satire.

Hardcore christian fundamentalist.

Those people are not self-aware
... just my opinion, for what it's worth

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

fwiw wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:24 pm
Michele Bachmann, not satire.

Hardcore christian fundamentalist.

Those people are not self-aware
:thanks:

:coffee:
Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

When corporations back woke capitalism it means climate change action has gone mainstream

... Corporations might take a bit of a gamble on public opinion, but they don't support issues that would damage their own commercial interests.

In other words, if a corporation puts its name behind an issue, it is because they will benefit from taking the popular side.

Major corporations, just like major political parties, don't lead, they follow. Whether it be in pursuit of dollars or votes, there is little room for any radical agendas.

That so many corporations have come out in support of bushfire relief and demanding action on climate change is a sign that the public sentiment has changed, at last.

What this tells us is that climate denialism, no matter how hard it has been peddled by some conservative politicians, self-interested corporations or dominant parts of the media, is no longer a position that holds water with the public...
:reading: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-18/ ... s/11875996
:twothumbs:

Now all we need to do is beat a few politicians into submission - or replace them.

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Experts take Bishop’s to school on global warming at La Jolla forum

Veerabhadran Ramanathan, director of the Center for Atmospheric Sciences at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, delivered a sobering message during a talk at The Bishop’s School on the evening of Jan. 15.

“All of you are going to need a stiff drink when you go home,” he addressed the audience of 300 mostly adults. “My concern is this. I’m sitting here in a school. The kids are in high school here. In 10 years, they’re finished their college education and settling into a job. And that’s when this thing is going to go into dangerous territory.”

Ramanathan — best known for his 1975 discovery that chlorofluorocarbons contribute 10,000 times as much to Earth’s increasing greenhouse effect as carbon dioxide — said that scientists are now “70 percent certain” that climate change will worsen every fire season and bring “unheard-of” disease to the entire globe, since mosquitoes are already evolved to survive in hot climates.

“Since 1970, the incidence of fires has already increased by 400 percent,” he said, “and the warming is going to amplify by 50 percent.”

Ramanathan said that today’s children are going to live this future, not just learn about it, “so we need to prepare them, and I don’t know how to do it without paralyzing them.” ...
:reading: https://www.lajollalight.com/news/story ... al-warming

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Looking at where this author sits in the global power hierarchy, this statement represents a huge shift.
(Ditto for where it's published.)
Former UN Climate Chief Calls For Civil Disobedience

In a book out tomorrow, the woman who led the negotiations for the Paris Agreement calls for civil disobedience to force institutions to respond to the climate crisis.

“It’s time to participate in non-violent political movements wherever possible,” Christiana Figueres writes in “The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis,” which will be released tomorrow by Knopf.

Figueres served as executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) from 2010-16. She co-authored the book with her strategic advisor, Tom Rivett-Carnac. The two also support voting:

“Large numbers of people must vote on climate change as their number one priority,” they write. “As we are in the midst of the most dire emergency, we must urgently demand that those who seek high office offer solutions commensurate with the scale of the problem.”

But they note that electoral politics have failed to meet the challenge, largely because of systemic roadblocks including corporate lobbying and partisan opposition. ...
:reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmaho ... obedience/

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Companies we know and don't love are still building coal-fired power stations. Here's an easy way to ask the worst of them to stop.
As the world strives for a safe climate, giant multinational General Electric is expanding coal power, one of the largest drivers of global warming.

GE claims to support the Paris climate agreement. But every one of the 19 coal power stations it is trying to equip (by providing boilers, steam turbine generation systems, or other products) across 17 countries will contribute to runaway climate change.

Coal power is outdated, directly threatening people’s health and livelihoods through local pollution impacts, while fueling the climate crisis impacting people and ecosystems the world over.

It’s time for GE to use its imagination and stop supporting outdated, polluting energy and start building a cleaner, safer future.

We’re asking GE to:

immediately end any further efforts to expand the coal sector by restructuring existing business, including the 19 coal power projects currently in development, away from coal power towards renewable energy and working with its power sector clients to shift planned additional power capacity to renewables.
implement a phase out plan to shift power capacity to renewable energy in line with the goals of the Paris climate agreement, which includes working with clients to retire and replace existing fossil fuel projects with renewable energy and implementing a transition plan for its workers.

Read the letter from NGOs in countries where GE is expanding coal power, telling GE’s CEO to get out of coal and support renewable energy ...
https://getoutofcoal.org/

Kim

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Great news for environmentalists:
In the past month, the world has seen a remarkably large drop in emissions of carbon dioxide, the main driver of global warming. The reason isn’t something to celebrate, though.

The coronavirus outbreak in China, which has sickened at least 77,000 people, has shut down factories, refineries and flights across the country as officials order people to stay home. As a result, China’s carbon dioxide emissions over the past three weeks have been about 25 percent lower than during the same period last year, according to calculations by Lauri Myllyvirta, an analyst at the Center for Research on Energy and Clean Air.

China is such a huge industrial polluter that even a temporary dip like this is significant: The three-week decline is roughly equal to the amount of carbon dioxide that the state of New York puts out in a full year (about 150 million metric tons) Mr. Myllyvirta estimated.:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/clim ... virus.html

With some creativity and a stretch of imagination, the current corona virus hysteria can be capitalized on even further. There must be a causal link between change in global temperature and how the bats developed the virus in China before infecting humans.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Bundokji wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:43 am
Great news for environmentalists:
In the past month, the world has seen a remarkably large drop in emissions of carbon dioxide, the main driver of global warming. The reason isn’t something to celebrate, though.

The coronavirus outbreak in China, which has sickened at least 77,000 people, has shut down factories, refineries and flights across the country as officials order people to stay home. As a result, China’s carbon dioxide emissions over the past three weeks have been about 25 percent lower than during the same period last year, according to calculations by Lauri Myllyvirta, an analyst at the Center for Research on Energy and Clean Air.

China is such a huge industrial polluter that even a temporary dip like this is significant: The three-week decline is roughly equal to the amount of carbon dioxide that the state of New York puts out in a full year (about 150 million metric tons) Mr. Myllyvirta estimated.:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/clim ... virus.html
Yes.
On a larger scale, plagues and wars can be seen as both a symptom that our whole biosphere is overstressed, and a means of reducing the stresses. Not a nice means, of course, but we don't seem to be very smart about reducing the stresses so ...
With some creativity and a stretch of imagination, the current corona virus hysteria can be capitalized on even further.
I'm not sure that would be ethical, tempting as it might be. :tongue:
There must be a causal link between change in global temperature and how the bats developed the virus in China before infecting humans.
Not necessarily. Populations of animals - bats, dogs, pigs (e.g. swine fever), etc - all have their populations of bugs and they are constantly mutating, just as ours are. What it takes for a bug to jump the species barrier is contact between an animal with a compatible version of the bug, and a person susceptible to it. In this case it seems to have happened in an animal meat market in Wuhan.
Ebola virus - https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... us-disease - is probably the most notorious case of this sort of transmission, since its mortality rate is so high.

Kim

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:31 pm
Not necessarily. Populations of animals - bats, dogs, pigs (e.g. swine fever), etc - all have their populations of bugs and they are constantly mutating, just as ours are. What it takes for a bug to jump the species barrier is contact between an animal with a compatible version of the bug, and a person susceptible to it. In this case it seems to have happened in an animal meat market in Wuhan.
Ebola virus - https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... us-disease - is probably the most notorious case of this sort of transmission, since its mortality rate is so high.
Hi Kim,

From earlier reports i read and workshops i attended, climate change has been linked to an increase in the so-called vector borne diseases. In the world of arguments and conflicting interests, the elasticity of concepts can always be used in support of a certain claim. For example, it is not clear why climate change would play a role in a medium like a mosquito, but not in a medium like a mosquito. Had the weather been cooler on that day, the Chinese man who bought and ate the bat in Wuhan would possibly have stayed home and we would have averted the disaster.

The thing is, the "label" of climate change is often used when something unpleasant happens, For example, now, where i live, the weather is beautiful and the birds are singing, but to call this climate change would be missing the point, unless something unpleasant happens such as wildfire or civil war, then climate change comes into play to explain phenomena.

Those who found a causal link between climate change and the civil war in Syria are more than capable of finding a causal link between climate change and coronavirus and possibly they are already working on it as we speak. Human imagination can be quite creative and wild in explaining things using names and causality (the idea of God comes to mind).

I am not an English native speaker, but the word "disease" seem to convey a state of dis-ease. Another commonality between coronavirus and climate change that both convey a state of dis-ease, creating more in the process. If people believe that they will eventually die, then why don't they spend the rest of their time without drama!
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Here we go. After i finished typing my reply to Kim, i thought i should google it:
Coronavirus COVID-19 is part of a pattern of increasingly frequent epidemics that have coincided with globalization, urbanization and climate change.
I knew it :spy:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/ ... -covid-19/

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Bundokji wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:39 am
Here we go. After i finished typing my reply to Kim, i thought i should google it:
Coronavirus COVID-19 is part of a pattern of increasingly frequent epidemics that have coincided with globalization, urbanization and climate change.
I knew it :spy:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/ ... -covid-19/
Thanks, Bundokji. It's a good article but its focus, really, is the inherent fragility of complicated systems. This article - https://buzzflash.com/articles/america- ... t-business - focuses on how that fragility plays out as coronavirus strikes the USA.
Failure very much is an option at every clinic and hospital in America. A certain level of failure is even assumed. Building a system with redundancies and experts who were not always pushed to their absolute limits would cost more. Every intern, doctor, and nurse (especially nurse) who you ever met was overworked, because running the system on the ragged edge of failure is exactly the sweet spot. Or at least it is as far as corporations whose goal is to milk every penny from the process are concerned. ...

By treating health care like a business, Americans have already seen one of the first people who dared ask to be tested for COVID-19 get handed a bill for thousands of dollars, the primary result of which will be to dissuade other Americans from asking to be tested. Which is, right there, exactly the result that is best for insurance companies—and worst for the nation.

It’s an absolute certainty that Americans will hide their sniffles, drown their symptoms in over-the-counter drugs, and try to “tough it out” because they can’t afford health care. Besides, they have no paid sick leave, no paid child care, and no guarantee that missing a day’s work won’t mean being cast to the curb. All that “socialist” crap.

And because our whole system runs so excellently lean, American hospitals are already seeing shortages of everything from gowns to masks to painkillers ...
The link between climate change and coronavirus doesn't seem to me to be particularly strong, as I said earlier (and you seem to agree) but climate change is another risk factor to add to over-population, resource depletion, etc, whenever another stress factor (whether it's a disease or a crazy politician) appears.

Kim

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:03 am
The link between climate change and coronavirus doesn't seem to me to be particularly strong, as I said earlier (and you seem to agree) but climate change is another risk factor to add to over-population, resource depletion, etc, whenever another stress factor (whether it's a disease or a crazy politician) appears.
Thanks Kin :namaste:

Everything is ultimately interconnected, hence the strength of a causal link can only be determined in a controlled environment where our tools and protocols of observing and testing can function.

From the above, a distinction can be made: it is unclear if there is no strong link between climate change and the emergence of coronavirus, or if the breakout of the coronavirus happened in a way that is not within our means of control, measurement and observations.

The above ambiguity can shed light on how we use causality in our system of public knowledge and justifications: the stronger a causal link is established and proved, the stronger the justification for a certain action. If i have a certain passion/inclination/interest, i can always attempt to use causality to explain phenomena in way that serves my purpose or satisfy my desires.

If everything is ultimately interconnected, the very emergence of coronavirus is evident that the conditions necessary for its rise were there. If climate change is already taking place, then, it has to be one of the factors that made the rise and spread of coronavirus possible. The trick now, for people who are passionate about the environment, is to define climate change in a way that is most conducive to establishing a causal link with coronavirus and then money will start to flow in.