Applying the Dharma for the preservation of planet Earth and its inhabitants
DNS
Site Admin

World's cleanest electricity

Post by DNS »

lyndon taylor

Re: World's cleanest electricity

Post by lyndon taylor »

So I see this is a special kind of nuclear plant that leaves no polluting nuclear radiation pollution behind, amazing!! How do they do that, every other nuclear plant leaves deadly radioactive waste that takes 100s of thousands of years to go away.
Last edited by lyndon taylor on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
perkele

Post by perkele »

TOS of dharmawheel.org wrote: 4. Mindfulness

/.../

Since you are not here alone, new topics should invite discussion via questions, suggestions, an introduction, or appropriate context.
:!:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

perkele wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:56 am
TOS of dharmawheel.org wrote: 4. Mindfulness

/.../

Since you are not here alone, new topics should invite discussion via questions, suggestions, an introduction, or appropriate context.
:!:
It was a short video (as he usually does) and it was pretty self explanatory, but okay, I'll add a sentence:

Nuclear energy has long been seen as too dangerous, not worth it, at least back in the 1960s and 1970s, but now I think even environmentalists are coming around and realizing it's very safe, produces tons of electricity power, no carbon emissions and might be the best form of efficient energy.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What we have to evaluate is the cost (pollution) created by uranium (or whatever it is) purification cost and the cost of producing solar panels.
I think all these are just hyped to keep the environmentalist quite.
The only way to save the planet is to reduce consumption by the west or the western-oriented countries.
By the way, COVID 19 doing a better job.
NA Buddhist

Post by NA Buddhist »

SarathW wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 am The only way to save the planet is to reduce consumption by the west or the western-oriented countries.
The only way. Like really THE ONLY way? Or what you think is the best path to 'save the planet'?

There is a twist. Total energy consumption or consumption of fossil fuels -- not the same thing at all. Switching energy consumption from other sources to electricity consumption is a big part of many plans.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Energy can be utilized in many different ways of which producing electricity is only one. The term "clean energy" is often associating carbon emissions to global warming to a grim outlook of the planet and beings living on it.

In a recent video by Sam Harris, he revisited the topic of nuclear weapons, and the odds that we might annihilate ourselves through a planned or accidental nuclear war can be much higher than the dangers perceived by global warming or other more "popular threats".

Another way to look at this is the role fossil fuel played in bringing us to the point of condemning its use and describing it as dirty. Most of the technologies scientists use to measure carbon emissions and its impact on climate and the planet were mainly fueled by oil. It seems that oil got bored with us, not the other way around.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.
NA Buddhist

Post by NA Buddhist »

A message from a former Extinction Rebellion activist:
Fellow environmentalists, join me in embracing nuclear power

I have a long history of campaigning on environmental issues, most recently as a spokesperson for Extinction Rebellion UK and the founder of its climate reporting newspaper The Hourglass.

Now, I have quit the organisation to take up a position as a campaigner for nuclear power.

When I went on the Andrew Neil Show last autumn, he asked me what solutions Extinction Rebellion had to offer to tackle climate change. Speaking for the organisation, I was careful not to say anything that was not backed by the movement’s declared policies, which are to leave it to Citizens’ Assembles to decide.

However, the question has bothered me ever since — because there exist scientifically assessed solutions for addressing climate change, and in the energy arena one of those solutions is nuclear power.
https://www.cityam.com/a-message-from-a ... ear-power/

Extinction Rebellion spokeswoman Zion Lights quits green movement to become lobbyist for nuclear power saying: 'I changed my mind'
  • Zion, 36, dramatically quit the group to join pro-nuclear Environmental Progress
  • Miss Lights said she felt she had been duped by anti-nuke activists around her
  • Now she believes the energy source is the future to save the planet
The former XR communications head said she had felt ‘duped’ after being surrounded by anti-nuclear campaigners until she read more into the radioactive fuel. '

Surrounded by anti-nuclear activists, I had allowed fear of radiation, nuclear waste and weapons of mass destruction to creep into my subconscious. I realised I had been duped into anti-science sentiment all this time.
-- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... power.html