Decomposing garbage bags

Post by paul » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:12 pm

Decomposing garbage bags available here:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rev=search
Is Asia ahead of the west?

fwiw

Re: Decomposing garbage bags

Post by fwiw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:11 am

Biodegradable plastic bags have been around for like 15 years in Europe. At first, I thought that since they said they wanted to fight against plastic bags, they would replace them all with biodegradable ones. But only organic shops did that. Apparently, it was not profitable enough. So in France, after they started talking of banning plastic bags, what the supermarkets have actually done is that the plastic bags that were given away for free are now still available in the same way, except people have to pay for them.

It was just an excuse for making more money off customers.
... in my opinion

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:56 am

paul wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:12 pm
Decomposing garbage bags available here:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rev=search
Is Asia ahead of the west?
Biodegradable plastic bags have been available here in Australia for at least ten years, too, but have not become widely used.
(Some of them weren't very biodegradable, either. I remember "New Scientist" boasting about their new biodegradable wrappers. I put one in the compost with the food scraps and lawn clippings. When I turned it all out, months later, the bag was as good as new (but dirtier) although everything else had rotted long ago.)

:namaste:
Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:59 am

fwiw wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:11 am
... in France, after they started talking of banning plastic bags, what the supermarkets have actually done is that the plastic bags that were given away for free are now still available in the same way, except people have to pay for them.

It was just an excuse for making more money off customers.
Single-use shopping bags have recently been banned here. Shops now charge customers for heavier, multi-use, bags or (increasingly) customers bring their own. It just takes a while to get into the habit of taking empty bags into the shop with you.
It seems to be working pretty well.

:namaste:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:08 am

In the original post the article says it says their degradeable plastic (their term) speeds up the breakdown process from 500 years to 5 years.....I guess composting for a few months is not long enough?

It seems there is a thing called biodegradable plastic and a thing called compostable plastic and they are very different....I'm no expert on this but found this article:
https://www.plasticplace.com/blog/5-sur ... astic-bags
chownah

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:12 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:59 am
Shops now charge customers for heavier, multi-use, bags or (increasingly) customers bring their own. It just takes a while to get into the habit of taking empty bags into the shop with you.
To be honest, this is also happening in France and I did have reusable bags when I was living there recently. But single use and/or poor quality bags are still being sold, and also many shops keep giving away bags with their logo on it to their customers, which is somehow considered acceptable.

Here in South Africa, they also sell the bags but there doesn't seem to be any effort to reduce plastic waste, even in the richest parts of the country.
... in my opinion

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 am

fwiw wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:12 am
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:59 am
Shops now charge customers for heavier, multi-use, bags or (increasingly) customers bring their own. It just takes a while to get into the habit of taking empty bags into the shop with you.
To be honest, this is also happening in France and I did have reusable bags when I was living there recently. But single use and/or poor quality bags are still being sold, and also many shops keep giving away bags with their logo on it to their customers, which is somehow considered acceptable.

Here in South Africa, they also sell the bags but there doesn't seem to be any effort to reduce plastic waste, even in the richest parts of the country.
These kinds of efforts depend upon local political factors and differ from state to state, let alone country to country. The important thing, I think, is that things are improving - however slowly, however erratically - and that we should all keep on pushing for improvements.

Here are some related initiatives -

Container deposit schemes to improve recycling rates (my state has just brought this in)
Bans on plastic drinking straws - and more, e.g. https://ibanplastic.com/uk-to-bans-single-use-plastics/
BYO cups ("keep cups") instead of takeaway coffee cups
Reducing plastic packaging.

It's happening at the corporate level, too - https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/press- ... -reduction

:thumb:
Kim

paul

Post by paul » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:23 am

fwiw wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:12 am
South Africa, they also sell the bags
Fast decomposing bio-degradable plastic bag effort in South Africa:

paul

Post by paul » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:37 am

EDP bags referred to in the OP:

What is environmentally degradable plastic?
Environmentally Degradable Plastic (EDP) is plastic that degrade in the environment with oxygen, strike force of rain drops, and wind.
The plastic molecules that are micro-organisms (bacteria) in the environment can consume as food.
Time from 500 years down to only 5 years.
This type of plastic does not rely on fermentation or the disposal of waste (compost) in bio-degradation factories and homes.

EDP bags require sunlight to break down:
http://capacitydevelopment.unido.org/wp ... elines.pdf

Henryamone

Decomposing garbage bags

Post by Henryamone » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:38 am

Ok, my garbage can itself is 32 gallons, and my garbage bags are 13 gallon bags. Usually we use 3 per week which fills the can more or less.