Climate change - politics and activism

Applying the Dharma for the preservation of planet Earth and its inhabitants
fwiw

Re: Climate change - politics and activism

Post by fwiw » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Dozens arrested after climate protest blocks five London bridges

Thousands of protesters occupied bridges across the Thames over extinction crisis in huge act of peaceful civil disobedience

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... are_btn_tw
Eighty-five people have been arrested as thousands of demonstrators occupied five bridges in central London to voice their concern over the looming climate crisis.

Protesters, including families and pensioners, began massing on five of London’s main bridges from 10am on Saturday. An hour later, all the crossings had been blocked in one of the biggest acts of peaceful civil disobedience in the UK in decades. Some people locked themselves together, while others linked arms and sang songs.

By 2pm the blockade of Southwark Bridge had been abandoned and protesters moved from there to Blackfriars Bridge, where organisers said they were soon to move west towards Westminster Bridge.

Demonstrators occupied Southwark, Blackfriars, Waterloo, Westminster and Lambeth bridges.

The Metropolitan police said all the bridges had since reopened

and that most of the arrests had been for obstruction under the Highways Act.

Afterwards, demonstrators gathered in Parliament Square to hear speeches. Roger Hallam, one of the strategists behind the actions, told the Guardian he felt the protest had been fantastic.

“This is total prediction stuff, mass participation civil disobedience,” he said. “They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.”

The day was due to end with an interfaith ceremony outside Westminster Abbey.

The move is part of a campaign of mass civil disobedience organised by a new group, Extinction Rebellion, which wants to force governments to treat the threats of climate breakdown and extinction as a crisis.

“The ‘social contract’ has been broken … [and] it is therefore not only our right but our moral duty to bypass the government’s inaction and flagrant dereliction of duty and to rebel to defend life itself,” said Gail Bradbrook, one of the organisers.

Alice, 19, from Bristol was one of those blocking Westminster Bridge.

“I took the coach at 3am to make sure I didn’t miss it,” she said, “and I’m so glad that I did. It’s a tiny personal inconvenience and, having made it, I get to be part of a rebellion.

“This moment will be remembered in the history books, when we finally stopped allowing our leaders to take us over the cliff.”

Jenny Jones, the Green party peer, joined the protest on Westminster Bridge. She backed the nonviolent direct action taken by demonstrators.

“We are at the point where if we don’t start acting and acting fast we are just going to wipe out our life support system,” she said.

“It’s fine to think we are a rich country, the sixth biggest economy in the world, but actually we won’t do any better than anywhere else because climate change will massively affect us too.

“Basically, conventional politics has failed us – it’s even failed me and I’m part of the system – so people have no other choice.”
... in my opinion

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:32 am

:twothumbs:

and

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Meanwhile in California ...
It was only a year ago that California experienced its most intense wildfire season in the state’s history. In October came the TUBBS Fire, which became the state’s most destructive wildfire, claiming some 5,600 structures. It was followed shortly by the Thomas Fire, scorching over 280,000 acres and becoming California’s largest wildfire on record. Though a devastating year, 2018 has proven even worse. With summer came the state’s new “largest” wildfire — The Mendocino Complex Fire — which out-burned the Thomas Fire by over 180,000 acres. And just this month we saw the Camp Fire become California’s new “most destructive” wildfire — destroying 2,000 more homes and structures than the TUBBS Fire, and taking almost twice as many lives. What’s going on with the Golden State?

Climate scientists will tell you that what we’re witnessing is unusual, but not unexpected. That is, scientists have predicted these disasters — wildfires — to become more rampant in the West as global temperatures rise. Based on the U.S. National Climatic Data Center, average temperatures in California have been steadily increasing since the early 1900s. As drought conditions become more frequent and vegetation drier, the risk of major wildfires has grown.

What about the notion that California has always been a fire-prone state? While true, the severity of recent fires is extreme, even by California standards...

In 2015, the U.S. Forest Service published a report, which acknowledged its reduced attention to programs that “help prevent catastrophic fires.” However, this lack of attention has not been by choice, or due to negligence. Rather, the agency’s resources have become increasingly consumed by one single activity — fighting wildfires.

In just a 20-year period from 1995 to 2015, the fraction of the agency’s budget that is spent fighting wildfires has grown from 16 to 52 percent. Since the agency’s budget has not seen a proportionate increase from the federal government, this shift has been accompanied by a 39 percent reduction in all non-fire personnel — some of whom would otherwise work on forest restoration projects that help prevent wildfires.

The report goes on to describe the effects and costs of wildfires as being amplified by “changing climatic conditions” that are “driving increased temperatures” and “unpredictability in precipitation.” ...

In recent years, Democrats in Congress have pointed to their colleagues across the aisle when explaining the absence of important congressional climate action. With a Democratic House majority now moving in, a new opportunity may be at hand. Whether this will translate to meaningful climate policy, however, remains to be seen. One thing can be assured. Congress will not act if Americans don’t ask them to. Thus, the role of constituents in demanding climate action will remain essential if we’re to see the right kind of change take place and further disasters averted.
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-envi ... rnia-burns

:namaste:
Kim

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:08 am

For anyone who might still think the mainstream left (in this example Democrats) has answers for climate change, here is undeniable evidence to to contrary
Screenshot_2018-11-21_08-06-03.png
Screenshot_2018-11-21_08-06-03.png (267.47 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
... in my opinion

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Some of them are at least trying ...
Bernie Sanders To Host A Climate Town Hall, Amplifying Progressive Calls To Cut Emissions
The likely 2020 presidential candidate is daring TV networks to finally cover climate change.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) will host a livestreamed town hall summit on climate change next month, a move that may intensify pressure on the next Congress to curb planet-warming emissions and challenge TV networks to cover a rapidly worsening crisis they’ve long ignored.

The 90-minute event ― scheduled from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Dec. 3 ― will be held at the Capitol Visitor Center Auditorium in Washington and broadcast over Facebook, YouTube and Twitter by seven progressive media outlets.

... Speakers include 350.org founder Bill McKibben, activist and “Big Little Lies” star Shailene Woodley, climate scientist Brenda Ekwurzel, activist and musician Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, and Mayor Dale Ross of deep-red Georgetown, Texas, whose avowedly pragmatic embrace of newly cheap renewable energy has made him a poster boy for how Republicans could quit climate change denialism. ...
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry ... 2bd58aae6e

:thumb:
Kim

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Sanders gets so much sidelined and his platform ignored that I would not say he is mainstream in the US. And he is an independent, not a democrat
... in my opinion

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:27 pm

fwiw wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:30 pm
Sanders gets so much sidelined and his platform ignored that I would not say he is mainstream in the US. And he is an independent, not a democrat
He gets more press coverage than when he first started. His supporters are everywhere. I knew some Trump supporters that would likely have voted for Sanders over Trump. He is an independent, but ran on Democratic ticket because the system makes it nearly impossible for a third party to win, even though I think that is what we need.

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:58 am

I'm posting a fairly big version of this because I hope everyone will share it ...

:thanks:
Kim

grinder.jpg
grinder.jpg (104.2 KiB) Viewed 2267 times

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:51 am

Kids strike for climate -
Strike School for Climate Action

Throughout November, students across Australia are temporarily striking from school to call for urgent political action on climate change. RSVP for a Big School Walk Out by clicking on a button below for the event nearest you ...
https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com/support-us

This is the Aussie page but it's not just an Aussie thing, nor should it be. As one of my friends wrote, "Kids. Bloody hell. I'm inspired. I'm proud to know some of the people helping to organise this. But dammit kids going on strike because they're scared of this climate crisis. It's gut wrenching and inspiring in equal measure.
Please support them. Here are the events near you. If you're not in Australia, please get this going in your country. The international media is seriously interested."

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:17 am

Avaaaz petition - https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/co ... clean_loc/
Sign the petition

To national, local, and international leaders:

Scientists warn us that climate change is accelerating beyond our control, threatening our survival and everything we love. We call on you to keep global temperature rise under the unacceptably dangerous level of 1.5 degrees C. To achieve this you must urgently deliver clear plans that phase out carbon pollution to zero before 2050, and rapidly shift our societies and economies to 100% clean energy. ...
:jedi:
Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:34 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:51 am
Kids strike for climate -
Strike School for Climate Action

Throughout November, students across Australia are temporarily striking from school to call for urgent political action on climate change. RSVP for a Big School Walk Out by clicking on a button below for the event nearest you ...
https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com/support-us

This is the Aussie page but it's not just an Aussie thing, nor should it be. As one of my friends wrote, "Kids. Bloody hell. I'm inspired. I'm proud to know some of the people helping to organise this. But dammit kids going on strike because they're scared of this climate crisis. It's gut wrenching and inspiring in equal measure.
Please support them. Here are the events near you. If you're not in Australia, please get this going in your country. The international media is seriously interested."

Kim
And a follow-up: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-08/ ... r/10597022
Key points:

• A national survey showed a majority of respondents supported student protests on climate change
• Rallies took place in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Cairns
• Junior activists said the Prime Minister's comments compelled them to march

Student activists who felt condescended by the Prime Minister have vowed to remove the Liberal Party from power — and keep it out — as long as it maintains its current climate policies.

Thousands of protesters gathered in capital cities on the east coast today in a coordinated march against Indian energy giant Adani's Carmichael mine and rail project.

At the end of last month, Adani announced the scaled-back $2 billion controversial coal mine in the Galilee Basin would go ahead and would be 100 per cent self-financed, with work starting before Christmas.

While the attendees at the rally were diverse, it was school-aged students who were leading the crowds.

"It's awful to see our leader feels like we shouldn't have opinions and we shouldn't care and they shouldn't listen to us," 14-year-old Jean Hinchliffe said in response to Mr Morrison's calls last week for "less activism in schools".

"It's just atrocious. As students we are very informed and very educated and that's why we're taking action."

"We're fighting for our own futures."
I hope young people everywhere are doing the same.

Kim

[edit - fixed formatting :oops: ]

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:10 am

Carols Against Coal, a project of the ARRCC.

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 am

At last, divestment is hitting the fossil fuel industry where it hurts

Bill McKibben

I remember well the first institution to announce it was divesting from fossil fuel. It was 2012 and I was on the second week of a gruelling tour across the US trying to spark a movement. Our roadshow had been playing to packed houses down the west coast, and we’d crossed the continent to Portland, Maine. As a raucous crowd jammed the biggest theatre in town, a physicist named Stephen Mulkey took the mic. He was at the time president of the tiny Unity College in the state’s rural interior, and he announced that over the weekend its trustees had voted to sell their shares in coal, oil and gas companies. “The time is long overdue for all investors to take a hard look at the consequences of supporting an industry that persists in destructive practices,” he said.

Six years later, we have marked the 1,000th divestment in what has become by far the largest anti-corporate campaign of its kind. The latest to sell their shares – major French and Australian pension funds, and Brandeis University in Massachusetts – bring the total size of portfolios and endowments in the campaign to just under $8 trillion (£6.4tn). ...

Heavy hitters like that make it clear that the first line of objection to fossil fuel divestment has long since been laid to rest: this is one big action you can take against climate change without big cost. Indeed, early divesters have made out like green-tinged bandits: since the fossil fuel sector has badly underperformed on the market over recent years, moving money into other investments has dramatically increased returns. ...

The deeper question, though, is whether divestment is making a dent in the fossil fuel industry. And there the answer is even clearer: this has become the deepest challenge yet to the companies that have kept us on the path to climate destruction. ...
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nts-carbon

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Juice media does terrific things on a tiny budget. Here's an example from a couple of years ago -

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:37 am

Grey Power!
Warming world gets older, wiser, richer activists hot under the collar

A growing number of older protesters are standing up and fighting for the environment

Inspired by the students who took part in last year’s school climate strike, a new group is attempting to recruit their grandparents.

The dream of their generation – history’s most prosperous – is to quit working and see the world. But for some the notion of being a grey nomad doesn’t sit comfortably when there remains a question about what sort of world they’ll leave behind.

...Miriam Robinson, 58, is the spokeswoman for the Grey Power Climate Protectors. She says one of the group’s first aims is to encourage grandparents to attend the next school strike on 15 March.

“Many kids couldn’t attend [last time] because their parents work,” Robinson says. “Grandparents bringing their grandkids to the ... strike will be a powerful moral statement that all ages are concerned about the effects of climate change.

“Heatwaves can be deadly for the elderly and infants. Older people will change their vote for their own sake but also [for] their kids and grandkids.”
Native title holders back Greens' call for royal commission into Murray-Darling

A former Greens leader, Bob Brown, says older Australians look at the world “with mixed feelings of amazed horror”.

“They come equipped with unprecedented amounts of time, money and motivation. This is a cauldron of untapped civil action from vote-changing to direct protest, and climate change is the major target. ...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... the-collar

Kim

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:39 am

Screenshot_2019-02-09_06-38-22.png
Screenshot_2019-02-09_06-38-22.png (23.48 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
... in my opinion

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:08 am

For Trump, this is business as usual. For the rest of the world, it's :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :crazy: :tantrum:

https://thinkprogress.org/happer-trump- ... e2f77efd1/

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:28 am

School Strike for Climate - March 15 - around the world. See https://www.fridaysforfuture.org/events/map for locations.
School Strike.jpg
School Strike.jpg (73.76 KiB) Viewed 1727 times

Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:31 pm

...and here they are - https://www.upworthy.com/look-at-the-ph ... action-now
Watch out, world. The kids have shown up—and they are not here for our b.s. excuses.

Last year, 15-year-old Greta Thunberg sat on the steps of Swedish parliament, alone, to protest inaction on climate change. Today, at 16, she is leading hundreds of thousands of youth—and adult supporters—in a global school strike, filling the streets of cities and towns around the world for the same purpose.

Her singular act of protest has turned into a massive movement of young people who are fed up with politicians and leaders playing Russian roulette with their future. On Friday, March 15, students are leaving school to tell governments that young people want immediate and meaningful action on the global climate crisis. ...

Today, that movement took a dramatic leap forward.
You have to see the hundreds of thousands of young people showing up at these rallies to believe it.

As of Friday morning, school strikes and rallies were taking place in more than 2000 locations in 123 countries. Check out these photos and videos pouring in from around the globe
Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:50 am

Here's one for American friends -
Adani is pushing ahead with its disastrous climate-wrecking mine -- but there is a crucial piece of the project missing: insurance.

The Carmichael coal mine, set to be one of the biggest coal producers in Australia, cannot be built without insurance.

If we can knock out all the world’s biggest insurance companies, this project could just become too big of a risk for Adani to bear.

More than ten global insurance companies have already ruled out insuring the mine but one key player, American insurance company Liberty Mutual, is refusing to say whether it will underwrite the project or not.
Please sign the petition here - https://actions.sumofus.org/a/insuring-adani/

:thanks:
Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:51 am

Greedy Lying Bastards!
(that's actually the name of a movie about mostly the same people so I think the bad language is forgiveable)
A series of newly discovered documents clarify the extent to which the U.S. government, its advisory committees and the fossil fuel industry have understood for decades the impact carbon dioxide emissions would have on the planet.

The documents obtained by Climate Liability News show how much the National Petroleum Council (NPC), an oil and natural gas advisory committee to the Secretary of Energy, knew about climate change as far back as the 1970s. A series of reports illuminate the findings of government-contracted research that outlined the dangers associated with increased levels of CO2 in the atmosphere.

They also shed light on how this advisory group to the federal government understood the fossil fuel industry’s contributions to climate change, and unveil the strategies it used to downplay the industry’s role.

“These documents reaffirm that, to one extent or another, the fossil fuel industry as a whole has known for decades about the basics of climate change and its implications. But rather than warning the public and taking action, many of them turned around and orchestrated anti-science, anti-policy denial campaigns dwarfing even those of Big Tobacco,” said Geoffrey Supran, a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard who has extensively studied those denial campaigns. ...
:reading: https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/03/19/u ... um-council

This is a continuation of the expose which began (for me, anyway) with Merchants of Doubt.

The movie? https://www.greedylyingbastards.com.

:popcorn: :jawdrop: :toilet:

Kim