Sri Lankan's adopted the one thousand years old sanitary idea to solve the problems associated with modern toilets.

Applying the Dharma for the preservation of planet Earth and its inhabitants
SarathW

Sri Lankan's adopted the one thousand years old sanitary idea to solve the problems associated with modern toilets.

Post by SarathW » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:21 am

Kim O'Hara

Re: Sri Lankan's adopted the one thousand years old sanitary idea to solve the problems associated with modern toilets.

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 am

Hi, Sarath,
It's probably good but I would rather read a couple of hundred words about it than watch a half-hour video.

:namaste:
Kim

chownah

Re: Sri Lankan's adopted the one thousand years old sanitary idea to solve the problems associated with modern toilets.

Post by chownah » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 am

SarathW,
It is nice to see that sri lankans are finding better ways to deal with human waste.
Was this video made by a gov't agency?
You say that this way of dealing with human waste is a thousand year old idea while in the video the talk of it being "new technology".......do you know something about the history of human waste management that the people in the video are unaware of?
I have professional training which bears on human waste management and have a couple of thoughts which might augment or clarify things presented in the video.......would you like to hear them or would they just distract from the message that you intend by bringing this video?
By the way, what is the message that you intend to bring with this video?....you haven't said anything.
chownah

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 pm

would you like to hear them or would they just distract from the message that you intend by bringing this video?
Sorry. I could not understand your question.
what is the message that you intend to bring with this video?.
I always thought there should be a better way and a universal solution to the waste management problem. Modern waste management systems are too costly and not environmentally friendly. In Western countries, human waste is sold as fertilizer. For instance, 25 kgs of human waste are sold at USD 10.00. The method is shown in the video also very crude but the idea can be improved.
do you know something about the history of human waste management that the people in the video are unaware of?
As shown in the video, what we have is only the ruins of the old waste management systems. I am sure they use that idea and improved it with modern technology.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:04 pm

It's probably good but I would rather read a couple of hundred words about it than watch a half-hour video.
Agree.
But this video is about more than waste management.
Power living conditions in third world countries. How they work as a team and help each other. Old wisdom etc.

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:14 am

SarathW wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 pm
I always thought there should be a better way and a universal solution to the waste management problem. Modern waste management systems are too costly and not environmentally friendly. In Western countries, human waste is sold as fertilizer. For instance, 25 kgs of human waste are sold at USD 10.00. The method is shown in the video also very crude but the idea can be improved.
I have never heard of human waste being sold as you describe. I am intereseted in knowing where this is done. Can you tell us where you heard of this?
Also.....the kind of toilet shown in the video is called a composting toilet....there are many variations on this theme and here is a link to the wikipedia article which I think is very informative:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composting_toilet#Types

chownah