The GOP

Applying the Dharma to social justice issues – race, religion, sexuality and identity
NA Buddhist

Re: The GOP

Post by NA Buddhist »

DNS wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:27 pm I believe most American Buddhists are Democrats (capital D, the political party) or independents and liberal to very liberal (progressives).
Surveys of Buddhists in the USA and Europe confirm the partisan left leaning of American and western Buddhists. In annual surveys in the USA Buddhists have been found to be the most partisan of all religions surveyed.

I assume that converts to Buddhist were already left leaning when they became Buddhists but I don't know of research on this question.
This suggests that convert Buddhists imported the political beliefs they already had and continued to privilege those secular beliefs.

Theories to explain this partisan leaning deserve a thread of it's own. One possibility is that early popularizes of Buddhism in western countries were politically left leaning, taught an interpretation of Buddhism that appealed to leftists and thus created a self fulfilling cycle that favored or "privileged" a leftist view. A kind of variation on an old boys club.

Buddhist Ethics is a Fraud
“Shakyamuni Buddha, 2,500 years ago, taught exactly the same ethics that was only rediscovered in California 30 years ago. He was a feminist, and sexually liberal, and environmentally conscious, and anti-racist. So great, we've got this religion that completely validates all the correct ethical positions and it's 2,500 years old.” - David Chapman
https://art19.com/shows/buddhist-geeks? ... 2117dfe1ef>
SethRich

Post by SethRich »

Greetings,
NA Buddhist wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:19 pm I assume that converts to Buddhist were already left leaning when they became Buddhists but I don't know of research on this question.
This suggests that convert Buddhists imported the political beliefs they already had and continued to privilege those secular beliefs.
That's Engaged Buddhism in a nutshell, really.

:candle:
"He goes to hell, the one who asserts what didn’t take place" (Ud 4.8)
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

"Transition to greatness" (Donald J. Trump)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

SethRich wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:48 am Greetings,
NA Buddhist wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:19 pm I assume that converts to Buddhist were already left leaning when they became Buddhists but I don't know of research on this question.
That's Engaged Buddhism in a nutshell, really.

:candle:
Behind that sensible notion, which I think is true, there may be another Zeitgeist factor at play.

USA among major Occidental nations may be the most Christian-influenced of recent times. Whether Protestant or Catholic or Orthodox they all believe strongly in a manifest evil being - the Devil or Satan. Perhaps Mara/Satan can wreak more havoc with the minds & emotions of secular/Leftist people who already disbelieve or hate Christianity. Mara's mastery of the three poisons can work more effectively to distort, & even destroy Dharma by magnifying or "privileging" their political amoral tendencies (vasanas).
May all seek, find and follow the Path of Buddhas.
NA Buddhist

Post by NA Buddhist »

lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 pm The GOP has become the WHite Power party, and no self respecting black person would consider voting for them ...
This is one of the big divisions in left wing politics today. Somehow old Jim Crow attitudes still persist in the Democratic party. We have to call ourselves 'classical liberals' to distinquish ourselves from the 'regressive left'. Among the regressive left it's still OK to openly and proudly use the bigoted language above. It's approved form to openly express racist and bigoted vile against black republicans. In their calculus , black lives matter ... as long as they vote for the approved party. Otherwise you can call them just about anything, including sometimes, the N-word.
NA Buddhist

Post by NA Buddhist »

Nicholas wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:15 am ... there may be another Zeitgeist factor at play.

USA among major Occidental nations may be the most Christian-influenced of recent times. Whether Protestant or Catholic or Orthodox they all believe strongly in a manifest evil being - the Devil or Satan. Perhaps Mara/Satan can wreak more havoc with the minds & emotions of secular/Leftist people who already disbelieve or hate Christianity. Mara's mastery of the three poisons can work more effectively to distort, & even destroy Dharma by magnifying or "privileging" their political amoral tendencies (vasanas).
Nicholas, I'm interested in another theory to explain the dominance of leftist political Buddhists. You seem to be saying that people who disbelieve Christianity would be be more susceptible to the three poisons. Can you say more about that? In this theory why would disbelief in Christianity be different from those who don't think about Christianity for instance?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

NA Buddhist wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 pm
Nicholas wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:15 am ... there may be another Zeitgeist factor at play.

Nicholas, I'm interested in another theory to explain the dominance of leftist political Buddhists. You seem to be saying that people who disbelieve Christianity would be be more susceptible to the three poisons. Can you say more about that? In this theory why would disbelief in Christianity be different from those who don't think about Christianity for instance?
Just guessing that hatred poison is far worse karma than disbelief karma. The latter suggests that Xtianity was looked at somewhat, but then tossed aside. Those who have never thought about Xtianity or any virtuous spiritual path, (the utterly secular folk,) suffer more from the delusion poison than the haters or faithless ones.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

It has been my experience that Right wing people, be they Xian, Buddhist or other, suffer from a profound lack of compassion for the less fortunate, and a self centered selfish position related to others.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

lyndon taylor wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:01 pm It has been my experience that people, be they Xian, Buddhist or other, suffer from a profound lack of compassion for the less fortunate, and a self centered selfish position related to others.
With my modification, Lyndon now agrees with Buddha and his Dharma.
NA Buddhist

Post by NA Buddhist »

Right, Left and #Unity2020

https://articlesofunity.org

Unity 2020 : What is It?

We the people draft two candidates: one from the center-left, one from the center-right.

Once elected, they agree to govern as a team.
  • All decisions and appointments will be made jointly in the interests of the American public.
  • Only when they cannot reach agreement, or when a decision does not allow for consultation, does the President decide independently.
  • A coin flip determines which candidate runs at the top of the ticket.
The Fail-Safe: If, at a carefully chosen point prior to the General Election, the Unity Ticket has no viable path to the White House, the candidacy will be suspended.

The Candidates
The ideal candidates will fulfill three criteria
  • They must be patriotic
  • They must be highly capable
  • They must be courageous
After four years in office, the order reverses for the next election. This continues until the American public chooses an alternative administration or one of the members of the team cannot run for re-election, at which point a new patriot would replace them.

The Unity Ticket represents our shared values and vision for the future. Cooperation and necessary compromise pave the path to a functioning and productive government that serves all citizens.
But won’t it be a spoiler?

No. The Unity Ticket is designed to avoid that pitfall in two different ways.

First, by bridging the center-left and center-right, the Unity Ticket disempowers both major parties rather than empowering one or the other.

Second, the plan includes a fail-safe: if, at a carefully chosen point prior to the General Election, the Unity Ticket has no viable path to the White House, the candidacy will be suspended.
https://articlesofunity.org/the-vision/
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:27 pm I believe most American Buddhists are Democrats (capital D, the political party) or independents and liberal to very liberal (progressives).
One reason why I recently stopped identifying as Buddhist is because of how many convert Buddhists in the United States insist that voting Democrat is the only way, that a true Buddhist cannot possibly vote Republican, that only the left cares about human rights, and that Asian Buddhist countries with right-leaning governments are deficient in human rights simply for being right-of-center. I cannot attend services at a temple where a convert priest doesn't accept other Buddhists for being right-of-center in their political views.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Presto Kensho wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:56 pm
One reason why I recently stopped identifying as Buddhist is because of how many convert Buddhists in the United States insist that voting Democrat is the only way, that a true Buddhist cannot possibly vote Republican, that only the left cares about human rights, and that Asian Buddhist countries with right-leaning governments are deficient in human rights simply for being right-of-center. I cannot attend services at a temple where a convert priest doesn't accept other Buddhists for being right-of-center in their political views.
How about attending a temple that is not run by a priest like that? Perhaps an Asian-born priest (if that's more of your preference) or a priest who doesn't discuss politics and worldly affairs with his/her teachings?
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:42 pm
How about attending a temple that is not run by a priest like that? Perhaps an Asian-born priest (if that's more of your preference) or a priest who doesn't discuss politics and worldly affairs with his/her teachings?
Those are good questions. It would need to be a tradition of Buddhism that incorporates prayer as part of spiritual practice.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

DNS wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:42 pm
I consider myself a Sufi, but not a Muslim. I believe that Sufism predated Islam, especially in Persia. Studying the lives and teachings of Sufi mystics like Meher Baba has renewed my prayer life.

The original meaning of the word Sufi is one who wears wool. Middle Eastern mystics and renunciates, like John the Baptist and the Hebrew prophets, wore wool garments as outward symbols of their inward spiritual practice.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

I still believe in the same traditionally liberal principles of truth, equality, and justice that I did growing up. The difference is that, as an adult, I see that the Democratic Party no longer upholds these principles, especially when it comes to the rights of unborn children.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

You've made in quite clear that you are a one issue voter, You don't care about social justice, but giving a woman control of her own body is the greatest sin to you.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

At the local Buddhist temple, there's now a sign right outside the building that supports BLM, gay marriage, illegal immigration, etc. and basically every other Democratic policy proposal. Unless the sign is taken down, I am never going back there again. What good is it for a Buddhist temple to alienate half the electorate?
Last edited by Presto Kensho on Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:45 pm You've made in quite clear that you are a one issue voter, You don't care about social justice, but giving a woman control of her own body is the greatest sin to you.
If we can't trust a politician to protect the right to life, the most fundamental of all rights, how can we trust that politician to protect any right?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

the problem is right wing people like you don't give a damn about most people's lives, especially poor people, unless they're unborn and barely human yet. If you truly were a right to lifer, you'd be fighting for the rights and lives of every American, not just the unborn.
Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho »

lyndon taylor wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:22 am the problem is right wing people like you don't give a damn about most people's lives, especially poor people, unless they're unborn and barely human yet. If you truly were a right to lifer, you'd be fighting for the rights and lives of every American, not just the unborn.
Are you aware of any possible ways that conservative policies might benefit poor people?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

no, conservative policies appear to be of no benefit to poor people, that's the point.