Beyond Meat

Applying the Dharma for the preservation of planet Earth and its inhabitants
DNS
Site Admin

Beyond Meat

Post by DNS » Thu May 02, 2019 3:15 pm

The popular beyond meat burgers, which is being sold in groceries and now some fast food restaurants, is going public on Wall Street today.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecu ... 3cc8db5fd3

Perhaps a sign that vegetarian diets are increasing in popularity. :thumb:

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Beyond Meat

Post by DNS » Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm

Impossible (vegan) burgers are flying off the shelves, due to being so popular. Manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up with demand.

https://news3lv.com/news/local/impossib ... s-movement

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Thu May 09, 2019 6:43 am

Are they better than boca burgers?

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu May 09, 2019 10:34 pm

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:43 am
Are they better than boca burgers?
Yes, I think so. They taste good. It tastes like meat, which could be good for new vegetarians who are not used to plant based burgers and don't like the taste of traditional veggie burgers. I think that is why it is more expensive. They have perfected the "technology" fairly well where it looks and taste like real meat. I've been vegetarian for about 35 years, so I don't miss the meat taste, so I don't eat these burgers on a regular basis. I tend to prefer plant based proteins that don't taste like meat, but that's me; for others, especially new vegetarians, this could be a good selling point to help them stick with their new diet.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear » Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 pm

I eat the beyond meat stuff at Carl’s Jr. and Del Taco.

:namaste:

tonysharp

Post by tonysharp » Thu May 23, 2019 8:38 am

This is great. I heard that Burger King is starting to serve Impossible Whoppers. I can't wait to try one, but I don't think they're available in my city yet.

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Sat May 25, 2019 4:20 pm

My Walmart carries Beyond Beef crumbles and falafel bites but no burgers. We just have Boca Burger and Morning Star.

DS

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren » Sat May 25, 2019 7:48 pm

A&W have a Beyond Meat burger. It's pricey, but good. I don't really remember what meat tasted like, but the texture and appearance are scarily realistic.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:43 pm

I tried Beyond Beef crumbles, which I understand to be a Beyond Meat product, but I thought they were horrid. I tried them in pasta sauce eith rigatoni. I do like Boca Burgers though.

DS

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 am

More on "meatless meat" - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-obsolete
What if eating meat is not only wrong – but obsolete?

Meat is dead. Carnivores are going the way of cigarette smokers and, by 2050, there’s a good chance that it will be socially unacceptable to eat meat. In the same way that we’re now horrified people used to smoke in offices and airplanes, we’ll find it almost unthinkable that people used to consume animals so casually and frequently.

Considering that humans have been meat-eaters for about 2.5m years, the idea that we’re going to radically change our diets in a few decades might seem far-fetched. However, there has already been a significant shift in the way we think about meat consumption. In just the past few years veganism has gone from being a fringe movement associated with hippies to being downright trendy. The likes of Beyoncé and Jay-Z have challenged their fans “to move towards a more plant-based lifestyle” and more people are talking loudly and proudly about cutting down on meat. ...

If you haven’t tried an Impossible Burger or Beyond Burger yet I’d strongly advise you to give it a go. As a vegetarian I have suffered through various abominations that describe themselves as a “veggie burger” ...
:reading: Do click through and read the whole thing. It's worth it for the last line.

:smile:
Kim

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:09 pm

:thumb: Good article.

Usually culture changes slowly, but sometimes it moves fast. Civil rights, women's rights moved very slowly, but for example in recent years, gay rights and acceptance has moved very fast. I remember when it was unthinkable to allow gays in the military, now there is legal gay marriage, openly gay men and women in the military and an openly gay candidate for U.S. president has a realistic shot at winning.

So it's possible the culture might move very fast on vegetarianism and veganism too.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:58 pm

Found these black bean & veggie burgers from Don Lee are tasty:

http://www.donleefarms.com

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 am

Holy cow!
Beyond Meat stock up +$29.45 today. Wonder if it will continue or if copy-cat companies will emerge, stabilizing or lowering it's value?

NASDAQ: BYND

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:24 am

The founder of Beyond Meat, the plant-based-meat company that recently went public, on a future without eating animals
:reading: https://time.com/5601980/beyond-meat-ce ... interview/

:coffee:
Kim

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:34 am

I should note Beyond (company) is different from the Impossible burger which is Impossible Foods and is the company that makes the super-realistic (meat tasting) burger with the heme (sort of a artificial blood taste).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_Foods

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:30 am

I think different parts of the world experience different trends. When i was young, food was very well balanced where i live consisting of a main source of carbs (rice or bread), vegetables and a small amount of animal protein. We used to eat a small amount of meat only during lunch which is the main meal.

During the last 15 years ,prices of vegetables increased more than the price of meet. Since 2004, the price of a falafel sandwich in my country increased by %350 - %700 while western food such as Mac, KFC, Burger King ...etc increased only by %50-%70. I am using 2004 as a reference point because it is the year i moved overseas for six year before settling back in my country, so i was able to notice the changes in the pries of food and therefore eating habits.

Nowadays, the new generation in developing countries is consuming more meat than ever hence they are growing taller than their parents. There seem to be a link between economic development and certain moral values, and that includes vegetarianism.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 am

The meatless meat Opens a New Window. craze continues to sweep across the country, developing into a cult-like following, according to Gregg Smith, an early investor in Beyond Meat Opens a New Window.

“We continue to see more and more empirical evidence coming not only from Beyond Meat, which will hopefully be reflected in their results, but from their customers,” he said. “You saw Tim Hortons introduce breakfast sausages in the last few months and then just this week they said they’re expanding from breakfast sausages to a burger, to the lunch part.”

Smith said he thinks other companies, including Starbucks Opens a New Window. , McDonald’s Opens a New Window. and Dunkin Donuts, will get pulled into the market as well. He also said he thinks Tyson will likely join the movement “probably very soon” as well.

“I think we could see millions of animals within their herd rejoice with joy as they hopefully get into plant-based meat, and maybe their lives will be prolonged,” he joked.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/is-m ... ult-market

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Burger King is no promoting its impossible burger. I have not tried it yet as I am on a keto diet. I am curious though.

DS

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:26 pm

KFC is trying out some vegan style chicken recipes (all vegan, no meat). They tested it out in Atlanta yesterday. Sold out in 5 hours!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/27/kfc ... n-popular/

It's amazing how fast the culture is moving on this. Could it be, that we'll see a mostly vegetarian world in the next 50 years or so?

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:52 pm

I think we already live in a mostly-vegetarian world, David. Your part of it - and mine - are exceptional. The figures and charts here - https://ourworldindata.org/meat-and-sea ... onsumption - show (if you scroll down) that all of Africa and the Middle East, and most of SE Asia, eat one third as much meat per capita as we do - if they are lucky, Many eat much less.

That said, it's nice to see the shift you're seeing. I see it here, too, to a certain extent, but it's mainly in the form of younger people simply not eating meat and older people cutting down on meat. I haven't heard anyone mention any fake meat for years.

:namaste:
Kim