Gilets Jaunes : a popular uprising?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
fwiw

Gilets Jaunes : a popular uprising?

Post by fwiw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:56 am

French citizens appear fed up with neoliberal policies pushed aggressively by leader Macron. They have tried to counteract the executive for years without success, but this self-organized movement seems to succeed where others have failed. Macron had said about people unhappy about his policies "let them come and get me" (= they won't be able to). Today, A large number of gilets jaunes (yellow jackets) have vowed to get to the presidential residence and get Macron. This will probably not succeed, but the movement gathers overwhelming approval from the French population

The movement has started taking international proportions has it spread to Belgium, for the exact same reasons it started in France.

Could it spread to the rest of Europe?

Support for gilets jaunes protest increasing
More than three-quarters of the French public support the gilets jaunes protests, which have entered a sixth day, while 66% believe it should continue, a survey has found.

A total 77% of respondents said the movement was justified, while 82% believe that President Emmanuel Macron should cancel January's planned tax increases on petrol and diesel.

Support for the protests is rising - some 82% of self-employed and business leaders questioned backed the action, an eight-point increase on a poll published on November 17. Pensioners' support has risen six points to 75%, while approval among low-income households has jumped eight points to 86%.

In addition, 78% of respondents believe that the gilets jaunes protest is in 'the general interest', while 77% find them 'brave' and 62% consider them 'non-violent'.

But 56% of those questioned in the second Odoxa-Dentsu study for franceinfo and Le Figaro had doubts about how effective the protests would prove.

A representative sample of 1,004 French adults took part in the survey on 21 and 22 November.
... in my opinion

fwiw

Re: Gilets Jaunes : a popular uprising?

Post by fwiw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:43 am

The government has locked down the area surrounding the presidential palace, shut down metro stations and rerouted public transportation. It looks a little like they are in panic mode.
Screenshot_2018-11-24_10-38-51.png
Screenshot_2018-11-24_10-38-51.png (445.22 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
... in my opinion

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:29 am

There are reports of the movement spreading in Bulgaria, one of the poorest countries in eastern Europe

Apparently, in Germany the yellow jackets movement has been hijacked by the far-right

In Angers, France, a man threatened to blow himself up if the president persisted in refusing to talk directly to the yellow jackets. He eventually surrendered peacefully to the police

On Reunion island, a French island in the Indian ocean off the coast of Madagascar, the movement has lead to violent clashes with the police and the president has suggested sending the army to the island to monitor the situation
... in my opinion

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 am

The police has aggressively attacked the protesters, some of which have broken a traffic light on the Champs Elysées

The aim for the protesters is clearly to reach the presidential palace to talk to president Macron, but the police will not let them anywhere near that area

The scenes we can see are exactly what one would expect in a dictatorship where the police aggressively attacks a massively popular and mostly peaceful protest which is supported by almost 80% of the population, turning it into a series of increasingly violent clashes
... in my opinion

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:29 am

fwiw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:56 am
Could it spread to the rest of Europe?
Could this be Occupy Europe?
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:31 am

fwiw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 am
The police has aggressively attacked the protesters, some of which have broken a traffic light on the Champs Elysées

The aim for the protesters is clearly to reach the presidential palace to talk to president Macron, but the police will not let them anywhere near that area

The scenes we can see are exactly what one would expect in a dictatorship where the police aggressively attacks a massively popular and mostly peaceful protest which is supported by almost 80% of the population, turning it into a series of increasingly violent clashes
If there is indeed almost 80% support for this movement then just vote in the corrective measures.....france is still a democracy isn't it?
chownah

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:49 am

There could hardly be more blatant evidence that it is not
... in my opinion

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:32 pm

In france they have elections I'm sure.....wouldn't almost 80% vote on any issue win its support?
chownah

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:15 pm

Seems to be about fuel hikes not neoliberalism..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... standstill
yoda confirmation biad.jpg
yoda confirmation biad.jpg (418.6 KiB) Viewed 2321 times

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:29 pm

fwiw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:56 am
French citizens appear fed up with neoliberal policies pushed aggressively by leader Macron.
Dan74 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:15 pm
Seems to be about fuel hikes not neoliberalism..

yoda confirmation bias
:straw: strawman

Fuel hikes are neoliberal policies, in the form of austerity measures

I am a French citizen not too badly informed about local politics and have followed the situation and listened to what protesters have to say all day

What seems to unite the protesters is a demand for Macron to resign, some asking for a referendum on the question. The people feel their concerns are completely ignored and despised by the leadership

Actually all sectors of the population feel robbed by this kleptocracy, each seeing the situation through their own lens but coming basically to the same general conclusion
... in my opinion

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:38 am

This looks really serious.....they might even have to lower the tax on fuel! :jawdrop:
Oh well......cheap fuel benefits everyone....isn't that right? Trump has persuaded the saudis to pump more oil to keep fuel cheap because he knows that cheap fuel benefits everyone......macron could learn a thing or two from trump.....I guess.....don't know for sure.....

So, who benefits from lower tax on fuel?......consumers?.....oil companies?......sub saharan africans?......
chownah

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:14 am

Is this a left, right, or just general populace movement?

Stay safe, FWIW

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:44 am

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:14 am
Is this a left, right, or just general populace movement?
The success of this movement is that it is self-organized, without political affiliation

Just people fed up with politics as usual

Macron is transforming France, which has been a mostly well functioning society into a monstrosity akin to the USA, selling public properties to his cronies/masters, destroying social safety nets etc. People have apparently decided it is enough now

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:14 am
Stay safe, FWIW
I live in South Africa at the moment so while I do have daily concerns about safety they are not about the yellow vests :tongue:

Thanks for your concern though :twothumbs:
... in my opinion

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 pm

After the violent clashes of last Saturday and the failed attempts from the government to paint the "yellow vests" as far-right, new polls have been conducted and the numbers are up in favor of protesters, now up to 84% approval from the general population.

When the strategy of divide and conquer finally fails, the government and the oligarchs that control it are in a world of trouble. There might be really interesting things happening in France in the coming weeks and if it succeeds there, the MO might spread elsewhere in Europe and perhaps also around the world.
... in my opinion

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:58 am

fwiw wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 pm
After the violent clashes of last Saturday and the failed attempts from the government to paint the "yellow vests" as far-right, new polls have been conducted and the numbers are up in favor of protesters, now up to 84% approval from the general population.

When the strategy of divide and conquer finally fails, the government and the oligarchs that control it are in a world of trouble. There might be really interesting things happening in France in the coming weeks and if it succeeds there, the MO might spread elsewhere in Europe and perhaps also around the world.
Is the revolution coming?

chownah

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:29 pm

In Belgium, a reporter who was filming the police was brutally arrested on the spot, his journalist card seized, for no other reason than filming, all the while being live on facebook with resportedly an audience of 20,000.

This is the kind of thing that would happen in a dictatorial state

link
... in my opinion

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:14 am

A Dernière Heure reporter doing a report on the recent incidents in Charleroi was placed under administrative arrest after officers accused him of being a “fake journalist”.
http://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/13 ... -charleroi

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:54 am

Interesting that the busselstimes article in the post above does not mention any aspects of brutality in the arrest of the journalist.......is there any evidence that the arrest was brutal?
chownah

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:42 am

Dorje Shedrub wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:14 am
A Dernière Heure reporter doing a report on the recent incidents in Charleroi was placed under administrative arrest after officers accused him of being a “fake journalist”.
http://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/13 ... -charleroi

DS
This is another, separate case. Both journalists have eventually been released. But both have been apprehended for no reason by out-of-control police agents. Typical power trip against journalists. At the heart of Europe.
... in my opinion

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:51 am

I am following the events in Paris online and what we see over and over again is the police firing tear gas from afar on perfectly peaceful protesters while at the same time the interior minister claims protesters are inherently violent people. The government is trying its usual tactics, indeed the only ones they know against a movement that is not hurt but strengthened by such tactics. The situation is spiraling out of control
... in my opinion