POTUS 2020, part 1

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
fwiw

Re: POTUS 2020, part 1

Post by fwiw » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:16 am

SethRich wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:29 am
Greetings,

IMG_20200410_112816.jpg

:candle:

This is why Buddhists should disengage from political activism. It would avoid them accumulating unwholesome deeds by becoming propaganda mouthpieces. Pretending that Biden is a communist is parroting a lie cooked up by propagandist think tanks, which comes down to functioning like a programmed tool of the establishment by responding blindly to propaganda-constructed pavlovian conditioning. 1984, anyone?

Disengage
... just my opinion, for what it's worth

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:15 am

SethRich wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:29 am
Greetings,

IMG_20200410_112816.jpg

It is proved that it is Trump's view of Biden. If he didn't lead us into temptation, sorry, in Ukraine after Joe Biden, we wouldn't have known.
I for one, didn't have time to watch/babysit his moves. He can't control himself. :rofl:
Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha - they say she helps remove obstacles
Relax! Do your best!

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:54 am

Greetings,
fwiw wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:16 am
Disengage
If you believe your own advice, you're welcome to desist whenever you like.

Kind regards.

"He goes to hell, the one who asserts what didn’t take place" (Ud 4.8)
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

"Transition to greatness" (Donald J. Trump)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:12 am

SethRich wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:54 am
Greetings,
fwiw wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:16 am
Disengage
If you believe your own advice, you're welcome to desist whenever you like.

Kind regards.

I mean disengaging from political partisanship, not from this conversation. It's not my style to go on a discussion board to tell people to shut up. But I can understand that my rhetoric, being diametrically opposed to yours, would make you uncomfortable, so that you'd ask me in no subtle terms to shut up. It's fine. Keep doing what you love even though that makes everyone with a proper brain feel sorry for you. At least someone will have tried to warn you that it's a childish mistake and it makes you look like a fool you don't have to be.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:41 am

Greetings,
fwiw wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:12 am
But I can understand that my rhetoric, being diametrically opposed to yours, would make you uncomfortable, so that you'd ask me in no subtle terms to shut up.
That is your papanca speaking...

I said no such thing, and your Wrong Speech is fake news. Rather, I believe that if you're going to bleat about how bad political engagement is for a Buddhist, that you wouldn't want to be hypocritical. In fact, I don't even logically see why you would log into a forum of this type. But by all means explain how you reconcile the incongruity.
fwiw wrote:
It's fine. Keep doing what you love even though that makes everyone with a proper brain feel sorry for you.
Wow, those wholesome deeds of yours just keep racking up, don't they?

:lol:
fwiw wrote:
At least someone will have tried to warn you that it's a childish mistake and it makes you look like a fool you don't have to be.
Ok, thanks for the pro-tip Mr. Wholesome Deeds. Sad you were so triggered by a mere meme, but I am confident that your alleged bounty of wholesome deeds shall keep you in good emotional stead over the next four and a half years.

:focus:

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:59 pm

If you want to keep spreading obviously nonfactual propaganda (e.g. "Biden is a commie"), no one here is going to stop you. At least, someone will have tried to warn you with carefully substantiated arguments, or at least a sincere attempt at producing some. How you chose to respond is your choice. But it also reveals who you truly are.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:55 pm

Greetings,
fwiw wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:59 pm
But it also reveals who you truly are.
I'm not sure what strange kind of model of personal agency you ascribe to, but Biden's associations with the CCP have no bearing on who I am.... no matter how much you long to make it personal.

Please try harder.

Kind regards.

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:42 pm

SethRich wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:55 pm
but Biden's associations with the CCP have no bearing on who I am - viewtopic.php?p=12634#p12634
How can Biden be with the CCP?
What's wrong with you?

:saucer: :saucer: :saucer: ?
Relax! Do your best!

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:14 pm

SethRich wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:55 pm
Greetings,
fwiw wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:59 pm
But it also reveals who you truly are.
I'm not sure what strange kind of model of personal agency you ascribe to, but Biden's associations with the CCP have no bearing on who I am.... no matter how much you long to make it personal.

Please try harder.

Kind regards.

You've completely missed the point I tried to convey. It's the way you conduct your end of the debate that reveals who you truly are, not Biden or whatever fantasy you seem to entertain about him being in cahoots with the CCP.

Actually I don't even know why I bother explaining any more. It's unpleasant and pointless. So I've decided you can also save your saliva from now on, as I'll just ignore your posts. Best of luck on your path, brother.

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Joe Biden is live with Bernie on FB.

It's good to hear them talking. Both!
Relax! Do your best!

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:28 pm

fwiw wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:14 pm
Biden or whatever fantasy you seem to entertain about him being in cahoots with the CCP.
To correct myself, there seems to be an actual story behind this, with China rooting for Biden, given they certainly don't appreciate Trump's trade war. Nothing out of the ordinary. So that image could be seen as meaning that Biden is drinking communist money, and that wouldn't be necessarily factually misleading. If it was posted in the joke thread, as a self-conscious joke, that would be a bit different (I have made such a joke myself recently). However, in a thread like this where people are here essentially to discuss, make their opinions and try to convince each other, it functions as a piece of anti-communist and anti-Chinese propaganda akin to the good old ways of Mc Carthy, since Trump has been doing the same kind of influence peddling for decades. I'm not defending Biden but saying it's sad to see self described Buddhists parroting such partisan double standards because they still haven't understood they are being played by think tanks who have designed the reactions they're having, believing such reactions to be truly their own, as in defining who they are. I believe that as Buddhists, we should aspire to do better than this.

And I don't bother myself any more with people who, when I point such things out, snap into defensive, purely emotional and ego-reactionary tantrums, nastily attacking with ad-hominems the person sincerely trying to clear up misunderstandings by asking clarifications about where everyone is coming from with their opinions. And I don't bother any more either with people who flee from the conversations when they are asked to explain their core, world-view defining beliefs in terms of factual evidence, or after the evidence they have proposed has been clearly shown to be fundamentally flawed and empty.
Last edited by fwiw on Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:30 am

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:33 pm

If Nancy Pelosi continues to hold up aid to Americans suffering from the Coronavirus and its impact on the economy, Trump will win re-election. The way Democrats like Pelosi have politicized our country's response to the Coronavirus is very unsettling.

The only thing about Trump's response to the Coronavirus that I am really upset about is the scapegoating of China and the WHO at a time when international cooperation is urgently needed. This isn't enough reason for me to vote for Joe Biden, who seems senile and incompetent, and who flip-flopped on the Hyde amendment.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Sun May 17, 2020 2:42 am

Greetings,

Back in March I described Biden as a "trojan horse" candidate.

Recent developments add fuel to the fire he might be "switched out"..

Whether it's before the DNC Convention, before the election or (heaven forbid) after the election... It's looking less and less like Biden is a genuine candidate.

I suspect he put his hat in the ring intially to make it appear "political" and "partisan" if Trump went after him for his corruption (e.g. re: Ukraine, China, persecuting and spying on Gen. Flynn, misappropriation of GFC stimulus funding) but he's looking increasingly alone, isolated and exposed.

Trump is the master of 4D chess, but Biden can barely remember how to play checkers.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun May 17, 2020 2:45 am

Good news, we may soon find out what Biden is saying in his speeches:

https://babylonbee.com/news/biden-campi ... to-english

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Sun May 17, 2020 1:23 pm

DNS wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:45 am
Good news, we may soon find out what Biden is saying in his speeches:

https://babylonbee.com/news/biden-campi ... to-english
:rofl:

(Yet the poor duffer's senility is waxing to the point that he will step aside soon.)
May all seek, find and follow the Path of Buddhas.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Wed May 20, 2020 4:35 am

Greetings,

Goodbye Joe Biden...

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Wed May 20, 2020 7:19 pm

Please be advised, that whatever drugs Mr. Trump is taking, they are his choice (and the doctor's) and are not to be commented with the public.
This falls under HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
The same stands for Mr. Joe Biden and the rest.
Let's keep a minimum of human dignity and decency!
:anjali:
Miorita

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho » Thu May 21, 2020 6:44 pm

Donald Trump might be a pompous jerk, but does that really matter if his policies are preferable to the Democrats' policies?

If Never Trumpers are still willing to vote against their own principles just to make a statement against Trump, should we question their motives?

There's a lot of money to be made in the media as an anti-Trump Republican.

On matters of policy substance, is Trump really a right-wing extremist, or have the Democrats gone further to the left? On most issues, Trump seems to be closer to Bill Clinton than Democrats are today.

fwiw

Post by fwiw » Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 pm

Oh look who is playing identity politics now

:rofl:

Trump campaign selling 'you ain't black' shirts after Biden comment
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... en-comment
EYtrChFXgAAX0t5.png
EYtrChFXgAAX0t5.png (231.91 KiB) Viewed 173 times