Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka terrorist attack

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
DNS
Site Admin

Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka terrorist attack

Post by DNS » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:00 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/worl ... osion.html

Sri Lanka is about 70% (mostly Theravada) Buddhist, but also has populations of Christians and Muslims.

No terrorist group has claimed responsibility yet as of this writing.

SarathW

Re: Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka terrorist attack

Post by SarathW » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:27 pm

What is the solution for this Christian, Muslims, Jewes and Buddhist fundamentalism?
Is the fundamentalism an innate nature of human?
Is there a Buddhist word for fundamentalism in Sutta?
The only way I can think is that fundamentalism is the result of extream self-view.

justsit

Post by justsit » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:09 am

SarathW wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:27 pm
What is the solution for this Christian, Muslims, Jewes and Buddhist fundamentalism?
Is the fundamentalism an innate nature of human?
Is there a Buddhist word for fundamentalism in Sutta?
The only way I can think is that fundamentalism is the result of extream self-view.
This is a very complex topic that deserves its own thread, but I"ll offer a quick reply.

From my experience, it seems that religious fundamentalism is often based on feelings of insecurity. Having a literal interpretation of whatever scripture one accepts as true means that there are definitive answers provided to difficult questions; the individual does not have to perform critical exegesis, but merely needs to follow the rules. It can be very comforting, when confronted with complex situations, to point to a passage that tells one how to act. Having an authority figure provide all the answers relieves one of the responsibility of determining truth for oneself and provides specific instruction of how to reach some state or afterlife (i.e., "If I follow the rules properly, I"ll go to heaven/reach nirvana, etc.").

IMO, basically, fundamentalism appeals to people who are uncomfortable with uncertainty. Again, just my opinion.

What is the solution? Change human nature??

That being said,

:focus:

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 am

SarathW wrote:
Don't forget those (such as the perpetrator of the terror attack in my country) who are not particularly religious, but nationalistic/reactionary/racist/etc...

Religion is not a necessary condition for terrorism...

:heart:
Mike

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:06 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 am
SarathW wrote:
Don't forget those (such as the perpetrator of the terror attack in my country) who are not particularly religious, but nationalistic/reactionary/racist/etc...

Mike
What would be the necessary condition for terrorism? what do all terrorists have in common?

In my mind, it seems to be an extreme case when the individual's self-worth is reduced to being a member of a certain group, which translates into hostility towards people from different groups.

I think we, as human beings, have the ability to believe what is passed on to us from generation to generation, and we also have the ability to question it. Maybe terrorists have too much faith in tradition and less on their ability to put what has been passed on into context.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:04 am

Bundokji wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:06 am
What would be the necessary condition for terrorism? what do all terrorists have in common?

In my mind, it seems to be an extreme case when the individual's self-worth is reduced to being a member of a certain group, which translates into hostility towards people from different groups.
I think that sums it up...

Mike

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Yes. It is a good posting.
In other words, it is Mana.
I am this, I am not that.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:16 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 am
SarathW wrote:

Mike
Agree.
There is political terrorism as well.
Perhaps politics is the root of all terrorism.

justsit

Post by justsit » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:04 pm

Politics is like many other systems in the world, such as religion and economics - it can be used for good or evil ends. When utilized in service of the three poisons - greed, hatred, ignorance - actions such as terrorism can result. Politics in and of itself is not the "root cause" of terrorism.

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:58 am

Here's a good short history of Sri Lanka's ethnic conflicts since independence in 1948 - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-23/ ... y/11037380.

It appears that (once again) "religious" tensions are really the public face of entrenched ethnic tensions arising from inequality.

:namaste:
Kim

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:56 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:58 am
Here's a good short history of Sri Lanka's ethnic conflicts since independence in 1948 - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-23/ ... y/11037380.

It appears that (once again) "religious" tensions are really the public face of entrenched ethnic tensions arising from inequality.

Kim
...and there have been claims that these attacks were retaliation for the Christchurch NZ shooting, but counter-claims that these attacks were planned before the Christchurch shooting are more credible.

Kim

Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 pm

Attachment, wrong view, wrong actions.

DS
"As far as social economic theory is concerned, I am Marxist. " ~ HHDL

Doubt

Post by Doubt » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:07 pm

It is said many parties including India and local Buddhist groups and Intel officers had informed the current government in Sri Lanka about this, prior to the attacks.
Not only that but also many politicians, local organizations and Buddhist groups had been continuously informing the authorities about an Islamic extremism for years.
Nevertheless the current Sri Lankan government has not taken any security action because they are anti-Buddhist. The current government has been elected by the non-Buddhist votes (non-Buddhist minorities and non-practicing Buddhists) using the holes of democracy.
Current government (who are mainly of the political party called UNP) openly supports homosexuals, anti-Buddhists and they are backed by Western powers.
The prime minister is a Christian and many of the members are either non-Buddhist or anti-Buddhist.
They had started to hunt Buddhist monks, Army personnel and Intel officers while being cheated by the agendas of Western countries and Biased UN.
They didn't cared what the majority Buddhists say even when it was about terrorists.
The Western governments needed to suppress the majority Buddhists in order to implement their agendas in Sri Lanka and supported current government to implement anti-Buddhist operations.
Once the Buddhist President sacked the Prime Minister and the government, yet they could re-gain power with the support of Western countries.

The weakening of Intel officers, security forces and the majority power, resulted in such a disaster.

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:18 am

Hello, Doubt,
Welcome to DWE - and please visit the Introductions page to tell us about yourself, especially since you seem so sure about the situation in Sri Lanka. Do you live there?
Doubt wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:07 pm
It is said...
Who by? Can you quote sources or news items?

:thanks:
Kim

Charbel

Post by Charbel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:42 am

Doubt wrote:
The Western governments needed to suppress the majority Buddhists in order to implement their agendas in Sri Lanka and supported current government to implement anti-Buddhist operations.
Listen to Tulsi Gabbard's opinion on this (before she gains power & changes her views). :geek:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Charbel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:42 am
Doubt wrote:
Listen to Tulsi Gabbard's opinion on this (before she gains power & changes her views). :geek:
:thumb: Gabbard is great and she says things no other candidate would dare say, for example in that video. Unfortunately, she has no chance.