Aussie monk honoured for bhikkhuni ordinations

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
Kim O'Hara

Aussie monk honoured for bhikkhuni ordinations

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:47 am

Ricky Grace, Luc Longley, Nicola Forrest among WA recipients of 2019 Queens Birthday honours

More than 2,700 Indigenous girls around the country receive mentorship and support to help get them through high school and beyond from former Perth Wildcats captain Ricky Grace's Girls Academy.

Former Chicago Bulls and Boomers basketball player Luc Longley, Minderoo Foundation co-founder Nicola Forrest, former football star and sports administrator Ron Alexander, community worker Reverend Sealin Garlett, former state education minister Liz Constable, Buddhist monk Ajahn Bhikkhu Brahmavamso and Surfrider Foundation founder Brad Farmer are among the others...
Yes, I know it's an outdated remnant of our colonial past but it's still an important gesture of public recognition and respect.
WA recipients of 2019 Queens Birthday honours (cont.) wrote:
Monk expelled over female ordination

Ajahn Bhikkhu Brahmavamso is being honoured for helping empower women in his faith, including the ordination of the first Buddhist nuns — known as Bhikkhunis — in Australia in 2009.

He has been appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for services to Buddhism and gender equality.

"There'd been lots of discussion, lots of talk. No action," he said. "And so it came a time, when I decided something has to be done," he said.
"There were four very fine Australian women who wanted to become Bhikkhunis and so I did the ordination for them."

As a result, he was expelled from Thai Forest Tradition of Buddhism to which he had belonged.

He said it was a sacrifice he was willing to make.
:namaste:
Kim

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Aussie monk honoured for bhikkhuni ordinations

Post by DNS » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:31 pm

Ajahn Brahm is great, he really helped revitalize the bhikkhuni Order in Theravada. There are other monks and nuns, but he was perhaps one of the most influential leaders in Buddhism toward bhikkhuni revitalization. There are still some monks and lay people opposed to bhikkhuni ordination, but I think the winds of change are finally being accepted and for the most part, they are accepted.