return to political discussions, lounge discussions being okay

The latest news and updates about the Dharma Wheel (Engaged Buddhism) forum.
DNS
Site Admin

return to political discussions, lounge discussions being okay

Post by DNS » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:47 pm

Previously, we had put out a topic that discussions must have a Dharma connection. And after that, traffic here came to an almost standstill.

Currently I am the only admin here and the other moderator here has not logged in for about a month, so I am now allowing the return of political discussions and lounge type topics, primarily for these reasons:

1. Everything is Dharma, including politics. Some want to discuss politics within a Dharmic perspective or are looking for a Dharmic answer to current problems and this is fitting with Buddhist goals of Bodhisattvayanas and karuna (compassion), mudita (joy with others), upekkha (equanimity), and metta (loving-kindness). And when discussing politics, the immediate Dharmic connection may not be showing, but as long as we are discussing the best possible course of actions, then it is still appropriate and need not mention suttas, sutras, etc.

2. It is the same with lounge type topics too.

3. DWT no longer has a politics and lounge section and regular members from there would still like to discuss these things with other buddhists.

4. And yes, let's be honest, it's also for increasing traffic and participation. What's the use of a forum that only has tumbleweeds flowing across the screen?

For the last month or so, this has been the case anyway, I'm just making it official policy now.

fwiw

Re: return to political discussions, lounge discussions being okay

Post by fwiw » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:40 pm

Thank you, David
... in my opinion

SethRich

Re: return to political discussions, lounge discussions being okay

Post by SethRich » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:17 pm

Greetings,

Wise move.
Some want to discuss politics within a Dharmic perspective or are looking for a Dharmic answer to current problems and this is fitting with Buddhist goals of Bodhisattvayanas and karuna (compassion), mudita (joy with others), upekkha (equanimity), and metta (loving-kindness). And when discussing politics, the immediate Dharmic connection may not be showing, but as long as we are discussing the best possible course of actions, then it is still appropriate and need not mention suttas, sutras, etc.
And whilst it's not explicitly said here, I think it's a nice acknowledgement that no one approach or political position or has a monopoly on these factors. With these common Dharmic qualities front of mind, the seeds have been planted for good, healthy conversation.

Thank you.

:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."