Am I addicted to (in love with) my motor car???

Applying the Dharma for the preservation of planet Earth and its inhabitants

I drive my car everyday
100%
Walking is for peasants
No votes
Public transport is for peasants
No votes
My car is liberation & freedom
No votes
Motor cars are the largest contributor to & their abandonment is the easiest solution to carbon emissions.
No votes

Total votes: 1

Charbel

Post by Charbel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:10 am

The question is non-sequitur to me, given I don't own a motor car. I am declaring Motor Car Arahantship!

However, I notice eco-warriors I know may drive their motor cars merely 200 metres instead of walking & buy the best 4WDs they can, even Range Rovers.

I sense motor cars are indispensable objects of freedom (vimutti) for most people.

Are we an eco-warrior addicted to our gas guzzling motor car; even our big 4WD?

Are we not humble enough to walk or use public transport?

Are we embarrassed to walk to the beach from home?

Do we virtue signal by riding a bicycle once a month?

Are not motor cars probably the largest contributor to carbon emissions?

Please confess & discuss (while I head out into the bushland).

Kim O'Hara

Re: Am I addicted to (in love with) my motor car???

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:49 am

Good questions, Charbel. Some I can only answer for myself, but some have more widely applicable answers.
Your questions/comments are in italics, my answers aren't.

However, I notice eco-warriors I know may drive their motor cars merely 200 metres instead of walking & buy the best 4WDs they can, even Range Rovers. You know some peculiar people. Eco-warriors I know ride bicycles wherever possible.

I sense motor cars are indispensable objects of freedom (vimutti) for most people. Most people =/= most eco-warriors. Most people =/= most westerners, so most people don't even have cars. :thinking:

Are we an eco-warrior addicted to our gas guzzling motor car; even our big 4WD? Not I! But I do own and use a medium-sized car - see below for some reasons.

Are we not humble enough to walk or use public transport? I walk short distances but I rarely use public transport because there's almost none in my town.

Are we embarrassed to walk to the beach from home? No, but I don't do it. It would take most of the day to cover the distance.

Do we virtue signal by riding a bicycle once a month? No. I ride my bike a few times a week, for distances too long to walk but short enough to ride, on trips which don't need me to transport lots of stuff. And no-one notices, so I couldn't virtue-signal even if I wanted to.

Are not motor cars probably the largest contributor to carbon emissions? https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/c ... al-warming says "In total, the US transportation sector—which includes cars, trucks, planes, trains, ships, and freight—produces nearly thirty percent of all US global warming emissions, more than almost any other sector," so cars alone are almost certainly not the largest contributor - although still large. https://whatsyourimpact.org/greenhouse- ... -emissions says "Electricity and heat generation ... produces the largest amount of man-made carbon dioxide emissions. This sector produced 41% of fossil fuel related carbon dioxide emissions in 2010. Around the world, this sector relies heavily on coal, the most carbon-intensive of fossil fuels, explaining this sector giant carbon footprint." That's probably why Drawdown ranks "electric vehicles" at #26 on its list of solutions https://www.drawdown.org/solutions-summary-by-rank, well behind all the main renewable energy technologies.

:coffee:
Kim

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:51 pm

In my lifetime, I've owned cars, motorcycles, SUVs, a Jeep, and a trike. I don't think I was ever addicted to them. They are transportation and necessary evil I guess, that you need to get from point A to point B. I mostly have owned fuel efficient cars, electric, hybrids, motorcycles. So it doesn't have to be a huge carbon footprint.

In the future car ownership may be a thing of the past. A self-driving car comes to you, then you get in, swipe your debit or credit card, then it takes you where you want to go and you get out. Even driver's licenses might become a thing of the past.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:00 am

Greetings,

I drive to my two places of work, because there's no good/reliable public transport connection between home and either. From 2000-2018 when I worked in the city (or thereabouts) I would always catch a train (and if necessary, tram) to work. For the majority of those years, I took a bus to get to and from the station. It was certainly not an "ego" matter, in terms of feeling "pride" in driving, and "shame" in public transport.

As I mentioned in the Connection to Country topic, most of my activities are now local - and this is a deliberate lifestyle choice, with the additional financial, time, safety and environmental benefits of reducing the need to move myself significant distances.

:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:32 am

SethRich wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:00 am
Greetings,

I drive to my two places of work, because there's no good/reliable public transport connection between home and either. From 2000-2018 when I worked in the city (or thereabouts) I would always catch a train (and if necessary, tram) to work. For the majority of those years, I took a bus to get to and from the station. It was certainly not an "ego" matter, in terms of feeling "pride" in driving, and "shame" in public transport.
:thumb:
As I mentioned in the Connection to Country topic, most of my activities are now local - and this is a deliberate lifestyle choice, with the additional financial, time, safety and environmental benefits of reducing the need to move myself significant distances.

:candle:
Good move!

:namaste:
Kim