2019 Noble Peace Prize

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
DNS
Site Admin

2019 Noble Peace Prize

Post by DNS » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:59 pm

The 2019 Noble Peace Prize has been awarded to the Prime Minister of Ethiopia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Nobel_Peace_Prize

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiy_Ahmed

He made great efforts in easing tensions between Ethiopia and Eritrea.
The 16-year old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg was considered the favorite.[2] Other candidates included the Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed for a peace treaty in the Eritrean–Ethiopian War, the Brazilian environmentalist Raoni Metuktire, and the organization Reporters Without Borders which advocates for freedom of information and freedom of the press.[3]
Good choice, imo, with Ahmed. There has been a long history of tensions and wars between Eritrea and Ethiopia and it's nice to see peace in the area.

fwiw

Re: 2019 Noble Peace Prize

Post by fwiw » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 pm

He looks at first glance like a good choice

I can't help but mention though that if the Nobel Institute wants to establish their credibility, they should rescind the peace prize they bestowed on Obama
... in my opinion

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:55 am

Greetings,
fwiw wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 pm
I can't help but mention though that if the Nobel Institute wants to establish their credibility, they should rescind the peace prize they bestowed on Obama
Agreed.

In not selecting Greta they seem to have learned not to prioritize feelings over facts.

:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:02 am

fwiw wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 pm
He looks at first glance like a good choice

:thumb: Yes, that was strange how he received the Prize before even doing anything peaceful. The committee even claimed it was not in anticipation of something he might do. And then subsequently he increased troop involvement in the Middle East and did numerous drone attacks.