Corona virus outbreak

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Corona virus outbreak

Post by DNS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm

Prince Charles tests positive for Covid-19

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/europe/p ... index.html

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:56 pm

Good morning!

Received from Ligmincha International, Voice of the Clear Light:
Dear Friends,
It is a difficult time for so many people due to the increasing spread of the coronavirus, COVID-19. How do we handle the new situations arising without fear or panic? In a recent webcast Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche advised everyone to reflect on their lives and to be mindful of your fear – because “fear is absolutely the immediate manifestation of ignorance.”

Rinpoche reminds us that we need to look at all that we are doing and where our actions are coming from, because as he emphasized, “It’s a question of doing the right thing from the right place.” You can find the excerpt from his March 15 Facebook Live webcast below along with as links to the meditation practice that Rinpoche led, including the SA LE Ö mantra.

And as always, Rinpoche sends his prayers to all those who are sick or who are affected by this situation, and encourages all of us to offer our prayers and dedications to all those in need. We all need to stay connected as a community; there will be more opportunities on Zoom and Facebook, and even though Rinpoche is now on sabbatical and personal retreat, he will connect whenever he can.

- Aline and Jeff Fisher

Link taken from the same April issue:

And picture, 2020/April/chorten_view

:anjali:
Miorita
Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha - they say she helps remove obstacles
Relax! Do your best!

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:25 pm

A link that can help you visualize the area where you would want to send your prayers. For me the bar comes with the system.

Covid Tracker

I entered Italy first.
There might be similar trackers on other browsers.

:thanks:
Miorita
Relax! Do your best!

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 am

Wikipedia is not a source, yet I like to read info from there.
On Viral Replication this is what they say:
First there are 7 stages: Adsorption, Entry, Uncoating, Transcription / mRNA production, Synthesis of virus components, Virion assembly and
Release (Liberation Stage).

At Uncoating: "Cell enzymes (from lysosomes) strip off the virus protein coat. This releases or renders accessible the virus nucleic acid or genome."
Why do the cell enzymes strip the virus? - (1)
From there, "The virus takes advantage of the existing cell structures to replicate itself. "
Exactly there! It, the virus, comes with the programs ready, just like an IT-ist would do. And the proteins "attack" him. And from there, it does whatever it's been prepared to do.
Unbelievable, what war is being fought!
The enzymes strip the virus because they're jealous of its proteinic coat. Yes, of course, it's sticking out, it's something to grab on.

source: Medscape

cell enzyme: I want that.
virus: take it!
lysosome: I brake it down.
And that is that; the process continues uninterrupted.

My apologies if I offended anyone!
Miorita
Relax! Do your best!

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:41 pm

UK prime minister and health secretary have virus
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:05 pm

Fears of global condom shortage amid coronavirus

There are fears about the long-term implications of a global condom shortage after the world's largest manufacturer was forced to stop production due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Karex Berhad's three factories in Malaysia have been shut for 10 days already, meaning there are already 100 million fewer condoms, the company's chief executive Goh Miah Kiat told news agency Reuters.

The company, which produces one in five of the world's condoms, is now appealing to the Malaysian government for a partial exemption from a nationwide lockdown.

The country is the worst affected in South-East Asia, with 2,161 coronavirus infections and 26 deaths.

But without being able to reopen, Mr Goh said there would be a "global shortage" of condoms, which could potentially impact "a lot of humanitarian programmes... for months".

What's more, he added, demand "is still very strong", which is no bad thing "given that at this point in time people are probably not planning to have children".

"It’s not the time, with so much uncertainty.”

Karex supplies companies like Durex and organisations like the NHS and the UN Population Fund.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 am

Here is a nice video from Minute Physics that will appeal to those who study dynamics of some sort, and/or are comfortable with log-log graphs, and graphs where time is implicit rather than explicit. Link to the interactive graph: https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

:heart:
Mike

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 am

Or you look at the slope of the tangent to the graph. By following the values, you could say if the graph is flattening or ascending sharper.
Relax! Do your best!

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:17 am

Miorita wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 am
Or you look at the slope of the tangent to the graph. By following the values, you could say if the graph is flattening or ascending sharper.
Yes, of course. You can do that with the log-linear graphs. But the log-log graphing of new cases against total is a nice way of giving a much more obvious change.

As I said, these various approaches
... will appeal to those who study dynamics of some sort, and/or are comfortable with log-log graphs, and graphs where time is implicit rather than explicit.
:heart:
Mike

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:02 am

Comparing the data from Veneto against data from Lombardia, they found that Lombardia was not as protected because of triage mistakes. In Lombardia they placed the easy cases in hospitals together with other patients, while in Veneto they used adjacent temporary units outside the main hospitals.
The solution given now in some poor countries is to place the easy forms of the disease in pensions and mansions around the countryside and if these aggravate and need more assistance, they are brought to main hospitals.

Maybe I repeat what is already being done, I only wanted to help with translation.
Relax! Do your best!

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:41 am

The Rose Garden disaster: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... distancing

But I better let you read the article …

Saying from my country of origin: "When more people tell you that you are drunk, you go unarguably to sleep."

Or: "You can fool one, two, three, but you cannot fool everybody and all the time."

May the Truth release you.

Miorita
Relax! Do your best!

Nicholas

Re: Corona virus Perspective

Post by Nicholas » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm

May all seek, find and follow the Path of Tathāgatas.

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:16 pm

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... -2019-ncov

Hope you find the needed support data,

Miorita
Relax! Do your best!

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:56 am

Greetings,

Data must always be challenged to ensure it is like for like. On one hand you have the CCP hiding cases, but on the other you can get inflated numbers...

I believe Italy was reporting that way for a while and then changed their criteria at some point.

:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

"Our civilization is at the point where we need to start discerning between 'Progression' & 'Regression'." (Kabamur)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:54 am

Well, sure, it's underlying conditions that mean that the elderly are also very vulnerable to flu. And no matter how you count the "cause of death" there is clearly significant strain on the health systems in Italy, New York, and elsewhere...

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:26 am

there is clearly significant strain on the health systems in Italy, New York, and elsewhere...
Agree.
This is what amazes me. Why people can't see what is happening in front of there own eyes?
Do you need to be the Einstien to see this?
Having said this I have the same problem.
I see death in front of me. But I deny it!
I do everything possible to cover it.
:thinking:

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:30 am

SarathW wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:26 am
Agree.
This is what amazes me. Why people can't see what is happening in front of there own eyes?
Do you need to be the Einstien to see this?
Having said this I have the same problem.
I see death in front of me. But I deny it!
I do everything possible to cover it.
:thinking:
Hi Sarath,

Another way to think about it is the idea of a premature death which is directly linked to our desire for control. The logic of the world we live in nowadays is largely driven by linking quality with quantity. So, the average annual 1% mortality rate in the population becomes normalized and used as a standard to measure improvements/deterioration of how we function as a group. If in a given year, this 1% increases to 1.5%, the world turns up side down as we are witnessing nowadays. The panic and sorrow seems to be more linked to a collective sense of lack of control than grieving the dead.

The problem is: when a certain logic is normalized and prevail, it becomes a common/collective perception that binds people together and make their interactions meaningful. Under this logic, it would be unfair for the most vulnerable to covid-19 to be left behind, or all of the sudden, acknowledging that normalizing a perception does not make dying from coivd-19 abnormal or premature. Keep in mind that what gives a central authority its power is collective fear of which the value of human life is not the only one. Under certain circumstances, lives are easily sacrificed in the act of war or terminating those who break the law. The main difference is that the meaning of death within this collective fear is often associated with shiny slogans. Sometimes life is valuable, and some times its a public nausea to be terminated. What is more important is the sense of virtue and heroism which we associate with either saving a life or terminating it.

Another thing is that when the numbers are presented, they are rarely presented as a percentage of the population. Imagine a tribe of 100 people losing one member, no big deal and life moves on as if nothing happens, but in a population of 7.5 billions, that 1% would be 75 million people. So, the numbers does not necessarily say how bad the virus is, but says more how intensely populated our world has become.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Wait till you or your family member gets the virus and then get back to us.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk.

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Believe and don’t doubt yourself! :hello:
Victory will be ours.
Relax! Do your best!

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:28 pm

Finally a silver lining to the CCP virus cloud:

https://babylonbee.com/news/covid-19-im ... s-combined
May all seek, find and follow the Path of Tathāgatas.