How does a country close down?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
DNS
Site Admin

How does a country close down?

Post by DNS » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm

I thought I'd make a new thread, since it's sort of it's own specific topic.

RE: Covid-19

Some nations are apparently completely closing down; for example Italy, Spain where I believe everyone is told to stay home, no one allowed to go to work or school. How does that even work logistically? There are so many essential jobs and facets of a nation, that everyone cannot simply stay home and self-quarantine. For example:

Police officers
Physicians
Nurses, CNAs
Pharmacists
Grocery store workers
Truck drivers, delivery people
Garbage removal people and companies
Plumbers, electricians
Farm workers
etc, etc,

I could go on and on, even in my business I have maintenance men, cleaning people, housekeeping. If a resident has a repair needed, their air conditioning goes out and it's over 100 degrees F (38 celcius); I can't just tell them "sorry everything's closed, our maintenance personnel aren't allowed to come out of their house/apartment."

How does that even work in nations that are forcing everyone to stay home?

Miorita

Re: How does a country close down?

Post by Miorita » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:43 pm

Everyone will have their eyes set on the government sites. And from there, different departments will give their own orders.
Maybe will see more of the army.
Here is at a local level: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/try-g ... r-BB11gzzw
You do what you're supposed to do, otherwise you go.
Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha - they say she helps remove obstacles
Relax! Do your best!

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:08 pm

There will be intense monitoring. If they see that the number of cases rises significantly and people can't stay in their homes because they are bored, they might close that area so that the virus doesn't get out.
People will have to avoid social life, and if in public, respect the social distance of 2 m, no assemblies, no crowds that will mean no school, and follow the rules given relative to not touching surfaces, eyes, nose, face.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-l ... d=69615056
Everything will be in a need to know basis that is that you will know your part.
Depending on the severity of the pandemic, other measures can be implemented and all aimed at protecting the country (that is the people).
The army will have things to do, the medical sector will have things to do. The police, the firefighters, the ambulances will be reassigned.

To answer honestly, If there is 100 degrees in the apt. the person might still enjoy the 100 degrees and be happy that the whole bldg. is not turned into a hospital.
It may be that the virus affects not only your education and right to assembly, etc., but also your home and family life.
There will be all sorts of things that will start moving differently in the society.
Last edited by Miorita on Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relax! Do your best!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 pm

I heard that the essential personnel will still be allowed to go out and do their work, which is good.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:17 am

DNS wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 pm
I heard that the essential personnel will still be allowed to go out and do their work, which is good.
This is a vague term.
What is essential and non-essential is depend on the length of lockdown.
So what is the length of lockdown time here?

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:47 am

DNS wrote:
This is the case where i live. Most of the professions you mentioned in the OP especially health, grocery, food manufactures and gas stations remain open. The lack of restrictions within a particular country, however, might translate into more restrictions to movements between nations as the citizens of some countries would be highlighted as "high risk" and banned from entering other countries when travel restrictions gets loosened. Something policy makers are probably aware of.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:41 pm

I've met this idea and thought I could share it.
It's about setting up an online platform through which additional help from volunteers can be redirected to sick population that is expected to overwhelm the hospitals. If it is to happen, it has to be set up fast.
I can't help it: I'm Romanian at core. :bow:
Relax! Do your best!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:10 pm

SarathW wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:17 am
DNS wrote:
This is a vague term.
What is essential and non-essential is depend on the length of lockdown.
So what is the length of lockdown time here?
So far just 30 days, hopefully they don't have to extend that. It's everyone I mentioned in the OP that is considered essential, plus hardware stores, maintenance companies and workers and housing. So my business is allowed to stay open (housing).

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:31 am

It may sound odd to the thread, but here it is:

Trump said Thursday the administration will “help out wherever we can,” but added that the acquisition of urgent supplies “is really for the local governments, governors and people in the state, depending on the way they divide it up. And they'll do that, and they're doing a very good job of it.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB11qoQC

(regarding the link, I'm lazy and I'm late for work)

I have to give him credit that there's no fissure in his statements.

Update: He said he fixed the system.
I think he is telling the truth as it was broken when it was left in disarray by the 2 unhinged, Ayu and Gregoris.
You see? I don't need Prevagen even if I take it sometimes.

Miorita
Relax! Do your best!

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Lockdown in 15 minutes.
Residents in Connecticut, Illinois, New York, California told to stay home.

Meanwhile, in China:

Makes me giggle a bit.

I will see you on the other side of the rainbow.

:heart:

Miorita
Relax! Do your best!