Pro-life Buddhists & 2020 Democrats

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events, politics and economics.
Presto Kensho

Re: Pro-life Buddhists & 2020 Democrats

Post by Presto Kensho » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 am

The mainstream media is so biased against Trump, they held him responsible for the death of a man who ingested fish tank cleaner, even though Trump didn't suggest doing it whatsoever. Trump suggested that medical grade chloroquine might be effective in treating Coronavirus, not fish tank cleaner, and the media didn't even mention that it was actually fish tank cleaner the man ingested in blaming Trump for his death. One reason why the media hates and slanders Trump is his pro-life stance, the same reason they slandered Bret Kavanaugh.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:35 am

so you support our fascist government, great!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk.

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Fascism and the alt-right are both stupid. It's a myth that all Buddhists are Democrats:
Here in North America, there are large numbers of registered Republican Buddhists. Many of them are Asian-Americans, immigrants or the descendants of immigrants who fled left-wing violence in their native countries. One can only believe that Buddhists are naturally aligned with liberalism if no time has been spent among Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai, Chinese, or other Asian-Americans. Anti-Communism drives many such Buddhists into the Republican Party, as does similar views on traditional values, economic policy, patriotism, and other issues.

One of the greatest disconnects with the Democrats is over abortion, which the Democratic Party supports and the Republican Party opposes. The belief that life begins at conception is nearly universal across Buddhist Asia, and the overwhelming majority of Buddhist monks, nuns, and priests believe abortion to be a violation of the first precept. This has led many Buddhist leaders in Asian-American communities to endorse Republican candidates. At the same time, we have to be careful about stereotyping Asian-American Buddhism, a diverse phenomenon that also includes many Democrats and other liberals.

When we look at the wider picture, the chorus of convert Buddhist support for liberals looks less like a religious position, and more like a class and ethnicity one. Most convert Buddhists already supported a liberal political orientation before they became involved with Buddhism, and convert Buddhism draws heavily from a section of the educated, white, middle-to-upper class demographic that supports liberal candidates regardless of whether the individual believers are Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, or agnostic. Naturally such people are attracted to elements of Buddhism that seem to resonate with liberal values, but it is worth asking how much of this is an inherent liberal bias within Buddhism, and how much is the process of picking and choosing which selects only compatible parts of Buddhism and leaves aside other, central practices and views that are less supportive of liberal positions.
https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/voting-buddhist/

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Republicans are much less compassionate than Democrats, that's enough for me and should be for every Buddhist
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk.

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:20 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 pm
Republicans are much less compassionate than Democrats, that's enough for me and should be for every Buddhist
The Democratic Party of today officially supports taxpayer funding of abortion, through all nine months of pregnancy.

If a politician cannot show compassion on the unborn, the most innocent among us, how can he or she be trusted to show compassion on any other issue?

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:28 pm

Presto Kensho wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:20 pm
lyndon taylor wrote:
The Democratic Party of today officially supports taxpayer funding of abortion, through all nine months of pregnancy.

If a politician cannot show compassion on the unborn, the most innocent among us, how can he or she be trusted to show compassion on any other issue?
By means of forgiveness. But of course, you've never heard of this inconvenient word.
You're angry and you're after someone / anyone to give your mind satisfaction that you are the Victor.
Pay me and I'll help you!
Miorita
Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha - they say she helps remove obstacles
Relax! Do your best!

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Miorita wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:28 pm
Presto Kensho wrote:
lyndon taylor wrote:

By means of forgiveness. But of course, you've never heard of this inconvenient word.
You're angry and you're after someone / anyone to give your mind satisfaction that you are the Victor.
Miorita
I don't hate Democrats for being wrong on abortion. They just don't have my vote anymore.

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Presto Kensho wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:37 pm
Miorita wrote:
Presto Kensho wrote:

Miorita
I don't hate Democrats for being wrong on abortion. They just don't have my vote anymore.
Are you running from me? Am I that scary?

I didn't even change into a Vajra-Simcha-something...

If you turn your back on me, I'll bite your butt and we'll be forever locked.
Wild thing, I'll make your heart sing ...
Relax! Do your best!

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:42 am

Greetings Miorita,
Miorita wrote:
Presto Kensho wrote:
lyndon taylor wrote:

This isn''t my forum, but I think you'll find there's rules about "psychoanalyzing other members" (2f).

It might be best not to falsely infer anger and fantasies of moral supremacy, where no such things are shown.

:candle:
"Let us neither be perpetrators nor victims!" (DN26)

"Our civilization is at the point where we need to start discerning between 'Progression' & 'Regression'." (Kabamur)

:candle: "...his name was Seth Rich..."

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:28 am

"how can he or she be trusted to show compassion on any other issue"
Faulty generalization! - fallacy of argument.
"where no such things are shown."
You are not really defending him, you are defending his concepts and ways of reasoning.
"It might be best "
OR ELSE?

Give me your anger! I can take it.
Relax! Do your best!

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:33 am

Greetings,

Inference is a valid form of argument. See here.

Kind regards.

"Our civilization is at the point where we need to start discerning between 'Progression' & 'Regression'." (Kabamur)

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:35 am

Greetings,
Miorita wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:28 am
OR ELSE?

Please desist from your drama. It is dull and boring. You may have my boredom if you are so desperate to take something.

:zzz:

:focus:

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 am

Seth, quit acting like you're the moderator!!

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:05 am

Greetings Lyndon,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 am
Anyone is allowed to suggest we get back to topic, Lyndon.

Maybe you should try it, rather than being prejudiced and libelous towards Republicans?

:shrug:

Just an idea.

Kind regards.

Last edited by SethRich on Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:06 am

SethRich wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:35 am
Greetings,
Miorita wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:28 am
OR ELSE?

Please desist from your drama. It is dull and boring. You may have my boredom if you are so desperate to take something.

:zzz:

You mean that I agitate and agitate and I put heart into what I do and am boring?
Let's open new topics then since it is established that we're different entities!
Btw, this topic is misleading. The 2 sets, the one of pro-life Buddhists and the set of 2020 Democrats do not quite intersect.
"and" = intersection of sets
"or" = reunion of sets
But you saw and you didn't tell me because you're bored. I understand.
Good night, Seth!
Relax! Do your best!

Presto Kensho

Post by Presto Kensho » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:54 am

SethRich wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:05 am
Greetings Lyndon,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 am
Anyone is allowed to suggest we get back to topic, Lyndon.

Maybe you should try it, rather than being prejudiced and libelous towards Republicans?

:shrug:

Just an idea.

Kind regards.

I don't know if I consider myself a Republican. I would rather say I am moderate on most issues, and I can no longer accept the extremism of today's Democrats on abortion and certain other issues.

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:15 am

Greetings Presto Kensho,
Presto Kensho wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:54 am
I don't know if I consider myself a Republican. I would rather say I am moderate on most issues, and I can no longer accept the extremism of today's Democrats on abortion and certain other issues.
That's fair enough. Many people have decided to #WalkAway. I'm Australian, so it's a moot point, but historically I've felt more connection to the Democrats, until Obama's second term when it became apparent that conflict based on race, gender etc. was on the rise, and worse, that identity politics was being deliberately stoked for political purposes. (Remember "Black Lives Matter", SJW campus craziness, screeching feminists, Antifa, etc.?) When Trump came along in the midst of all that and said he didn't have time for political correctness, this pricked up my ears, and I've not looked back since.

As for the extremists, those who still cling to a party just because they've unquestioningly assumed they're "on the right side of history" may be in for a shock. As for elected Democrats, when Only 3 Senate Democrats Vote to Protect Babies Who Survive Abortion it's clear these people are sick.

Kind regards.

Last edited by SethRich on Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miorita

Post by Miorita » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:14 am

Sorry to interrupt your argument!

What a woman, a sentient being, decides to do with her body is called free will. Not even a god, any god, The God will interfere with her free will, nor can decide on her behalf what she can or cannot do with her body. It is hers as in precious human birth.

Before any abortion thoughts start there is the woman. If she is not respected, you have not won in her eyes the right to see that baby coming to life. That's how quick the judgement is. If she earns respect, she might fabricate the child. If not, you could call all the furies of the world on her, she sees no point on giving birth in a hostile world that even dares to grab her by the pussy, to a criminal child that she'll have to support the rest of her life.

Then she has to sleep 9 months, goodness gracious, how can you sleep with a belly that big? On what side?
Then let's say, she has to go to work because the husband's relatives don't much understand her and think she's lazy and careless of husband, or herself.
Or even of the baby that they, the by-standers and on-lookers conceived, didn't they?
Then the baby is adopted or given away, she might not even catch a glimpse of what she's grown inside her and she'll find herself discarded/processed like a used cloth, broken object.

And you think she likes to live in these conditions, consider herself happy she is alive and a giver of birth (what a big word!), and laugh herself mouth open from one ear to another?

Ha!
Hahaha! It won't happen.
She will choose not to have children, and convince her partner on not having one. She will dedicate herself to her carrier and shy away. In the end you'll catch nothing.

Think again whose choices you're making!
It doesn't look much like you're on her side. It's rather the tone of a false preacher picking on her weakness and selling her lies, a preacher that you listen to due to his infatuation with himself, and not an actual desire to wish well for her and her baby.

I'm happy I could disjoint the politics of the corporate world of Donald Trump from the reality of any poor woman whose only asset is her body.
May she live with or without child!
Relax! Do your best!

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:05 am

SethRich wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:15 am
Greetings Presto Kensho,
Presto Kensho wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:54 am
That's fair enough. Many people have decided to #WalkAway. I'm Australian, so it's a moot point, but historically I've felt more connection to the Democrats, until Obama's second term when it became apparent that conflict based on race, gender etc. was on the rise, and worse, that identity politics was being deliberately stoked for political purposes. (Remember "Black Lives Matter", SJW campus craziness, screeching feminists, Antifa, etc.?) When Trump came along in the midst of all that and said he didn't have time for political correctness, this pricked up my ears, and I've not looked back since.

As for the extremists, those who still cling to a party just because they've unquestioningly assumed they're "on the right side of history" may be in for a shock. As for elected Democrats, when Only 3 Senate Democrats Vote to Protect Babies Who Survive Abortion it's clear these people are sick.

Kind regards.

so you're a brown shirt, that's pretty clear!!

SethRich

Post by SethRich » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:41 am

Greetings,
lyndon taylor wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:05 am
so you're a brown shirt, that's pretty clear!!
Not an argument.

If it's all getting too much for you at the moment, I hope you have someone in your life you can turn to for support.

Please take care and wash your hands.

Kind regards.