Take the Harvard Implicit Bias Test

Applying the Dharma to social justice issues – race, religion, sexuality and identity
Buck McGeehy

Take the Harvard Implicit Bias Test

Post by Buck McGeehy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:59 am

For those who are serious about self examination:
https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html
Engaged Buddhism - A movement within Buddhism which puts emphasis on taking affirmative actions within one's community to address manifest human suffering such as poverty, hunger, environmental harm, and public health issues.

Kim O'Hara

Re: Take the Harvard Implicit Bias Test

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:00 am

Thanks for the link, Buck.
I was curious enough to follow through and try the test.

My comments, for the benefit of others who may be curious -
There is a whole suite of tests on attitudes to all sorts of things - religion (only looks at monotheism, unfortunately), race, gender, etc.
Most of them seem to be very culture-specific to the US - especially any to do with race :rolleye: or politics.
I did the gender/academic fields test, which is supposed to see whether the test-taker associates sciences or humanities with male or female. My results were exactly what I would have expected if the methodology works, i.e. a "moderate automatic association for Male with Science and Female with Liberal Arts." (Why would I expect that? Well, society has spent decades drumming that association into me. D'oh.)
So maybe the methodology does work, which is fine.

:popcorn:
Kim

Buck McGeehy

Post by Buck McGeehy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:01 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:00 am
My results were exactly what I would have expected if the methodology works, i.e. a "moderate automatic association for Male with Science and Female with Liberal Arts." (Why would I expect that? Well, society has spent decades drumming that association into me. D'oh.)
So maybe the methodology does work, which is fine.
The methodology works. It may be most revealing for those who believe they have no implicit bias toward people with darker skin.
Engaged Buddhism - A movement within Buddhism which puts emphasis on taking affirmative actions within one's community to address manifest human suffering such as poverty, hunger, environmental harm, and public health issues.

dxm_dxm

Post by dxm_dxm » Sat May 18, 2019 12:26 pm

This test is known to, ironically, be a perfect example of implicit bias itself and is not taken serious anywhere. It's a deliberate fraud. The pictures with black people from this test are way more aggressive, ugly and threatening than the average black population, while the pictures with white man are all nice pictures. If you would reverse this and use nice pictures of black man vs ugly pictures of white man, results would be different.

The creators of this test are the ones having problem with implicit bias. The fact that they deliberately, consciously and in full knowledge engaged in such manipulation and deceiving means they should be the one to get a nasty label on their head. Why not psychopathy?