World Cup 2018

Taking time out to connect with others
DNS
Site Admin

World Cup 2018

Post by DNS »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup

Only a few days away till the start. . . .

Any other World Cup fans here? I'm not a big fan of soccer/football, but I do watch the World Cup since it's only once every 4 years. Since almost every country competes, they start the qualifying matches to see who's in very shortly after the previous one ends. The big news from the qualifying matches is that the U.S. is out.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/u ... nd-tobago/

I'm rooting for Germany and Mexico.
Bundokji

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Bundokji »

I used to subscribe to cable TV to watch football, but as i am missing most of the matches, i decided not to renew my subscription last year, it does not worth the money in my case. I still watch the post match review on Youtube though, "for free" :quote:

During the good old days, we used to watch the world cup on national TV, but these days have long gone.

Germany Brazil and Argentina are always favorites. In this upcoming world cup, Portugal and England might perform well and surprise us. I have been cheering England national team for years, to my own disappointment so far.
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Bundokji wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:24 pm Germany Brazil and Argentina are always favorites. In this upcoming world cup, Portugal and England might perform well and surprise us. I have been cheering England national team for years, to my own disappointment so far.
Yes, it would be nice if England performs well, if for no other reason that the English are so passionate about the sport and hosts of the Premier League, it would be nice to see them celebrating.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Less than 24 hours to go till the start!
germany world cup.png
germany world cup.png (857.46 KiB) Viewed 7039 times
Ayu

Post by Ayu »

I used to be a World Cup fan and watched nearly every game as far as possible. These days soccer seems to be quite unimportant in my life. But living in Germany, it's nearly impossible to avoid the WC. Everybody will be watching the games, discussing what happened - and schedules will be adjusted to the dates of important games.
Most probably I'll will be infected soon by the soccer virus and then I can't help it and have to watch.

Right now I don't know anything about the teams, not even the Germans. Okay, Jogi Löw is still the coach. And a bunch of arrogant Bayern München players are part of the team, I think.
Kim O'Hara

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Ayu wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:32 pm I used to be a World Cup fan and watched nearly every game as far as possible. These days soccer seems to be quite unimportant in my life. But living in Germany, it's nearly impossible to avoid the WC. Everybody will be watching the games, discussing what happened - and schedules will be adjusted to the dates of important games.
Most probably I'll will be infected soon by the soccer virus and then I can't help it and have to watch.

Right now I don't know anything about the teams, not even the Germans. Okay, Jogi Löw is still the coach. And a bunch of arrogant Bayern München players are part of the team, I think.
:lol:
That's pretty close to my level of interest and support. I will watch whatever they show on TV news and may catch a bit more if I visit someone who is watching it, but that's about all.

:coffee:
Kim
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

I am a World Cup fan (I am fan of most sports except basketball, baseball and NFL) and this time because it is in Russia the timings are suitable .. between 5:30 PM and 1 AM (earliest start to latest finish).

Gorky Sadan, the Russian centre of science and culture in Kolkata has organised a Russian food fest. Hopefully will visit it next week. Because many Indians (specially Bengalis) consider Russians to be a "brother race" .. it is a special tournament .. my mood is very upbeat.

Football is very popular here .. most of us consider it the king of all team sports (player needs strength, speed, skill, stamina in equal measure). Bengalis are football crazy and any infant born in next 30 days has a good chance of being named Neymar Chatterjee.

Could not watch Brazil 2014 due to time difference.

Enjoying it .. Russia leads by 3 goals to nil over Saudi Arabia.

4 pre-quarters, 2 quarters and both semis will be at 11:30 PM local time .. wondering what to do.

:namaste:
egon

Post by egon »

DNS wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup

Any other World Cup fans here? I'm not a big fan of soccer/football, but I do watch the World Cup since it's only once every 4 years. Since almost every country competes, they start the qualifying matches to see who's in very shortly after the previous one ends. The big news from the qualifying matches is that the U.S. is out.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/u ... nd-tobago/

I'm rooting for Germany and Mexico.

I enjoy sports. It's amazing to watch the best in the world at ANYTHING do what they do. OK almost anything, for all of the pedantic folks out there. I just get exhausted by the competitiveness and the vitriol between fans.

Post by Bundokji »

No_Mind wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:42 pm Football is very popular here .. most of us consider it the king of all team sports (player needs strength, speed, skill, stamina in equal measure). Bengalis are football crazy and any infant born in next 30 days has a good chance of being named Neymar Chatterjee.

I did not realize that. My only trip to India was during the 2014 world cup and i did not notice much interest, well, maybe because i was living in my bubble as a tourist and because as you said, the timing of the matches was far from perfect.

The only game i managed to watch when i was there was the historic semi final between Germany and Brazil which was late at night and which ended in Germain winning 7-0. I was in Jaipur at that time and the whole game was very disappointing to me (lucky i watched in my hotel room) as i almost always support Brazil except when they play against England, and my least favorite team is Germany (even if they play against the Satan i would support the later). :popcorn:

By the way, many people seem happy here for Saudi loss against Russia in the opening game. It is funny how people mix politics with football!
'Too much knowledge leads to scepticism. Early devotees are the likeliest apostates, as early sinners are senile saints.' – Will Durant.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Bundokji wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 pm
No_Mind wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:42 pm Football is very popular here .. most of us consider it the king of all team sports (player needs strength, speed, skill, stamina in equal measure). Bengalis are football crazy and any infant born in next 30 days has a good chance of being named Neymar Chatterjee.

I did not realize that. My only trip to India was during the 2014 world cup and i did not notice much interest, well, maybe because i was living in my bubble as a tourist and because as you said, the timing of the matches was far from perfect.

The only game i managed to watch when i was there was the historic semi final between Germany and Brazil which was late at night and which ended in Germain winning 7-0. I was in Jaipur at that time and the whole game was very disappointing to me (lucky i watched in my hotel room) as i almost always support Brazil except when they play against England, and my least favorite team is Germany (even if they play against the Satan i would support the later). :popcorn:

By the way, many people seem happy here for Saudi loss against Russia in the opening game. It is funny how people mix politics with football!
Have to take few things into account ..

Firstly, in percent terms very few people watch World Cup football .. no more than 4-8% depending on the match but due to our huge population that turns out to be 60-100 million viewers (larger in absolute terms than Europe or USA)

Secondly, like China there is very little scope for public display in our society .. most things happen behind four walls of a room. There is complete lack of drunk supporters with bugles. We do not believe in celebrating anything (other than marriage) publicly because Karma or rather fate (Kismet) is watching and will give us an equal measure of tears in return.

You would not have seen many bars .. and maybe few poor labourers in roadside shanties drunk on moonshine .. but we produce and consume largest amount of whiskey and rum (and probably vodka) in the world. It all happens quietly behind four walls.

Thirdly, it depends on the state(s) you visited (we are 30 different countries after all). In Jaipur .. that is Rajasthan .. people are not much interested in anything apart from business. In few states (that is countries .. like Bengal, Kerala, Maharastra and Goa, parts of Punjab and Delhi and seven states of North East India) football is very popular.

[ ... Edited at poster's request - KOH ... ]

Ayu

Post by Ayu »

Maybe in this thread it is interesting to mention that in Germany nobody mixes politics with football. It's absurd to talk about any hostility between countries in the context of games that are supposed to be an expression of friendship and peace. In times of war there won't be any soccer worldcup nor Eurovision Songcontest nor Olympic games.
Thinking in terms of being enemies is just a pitty.

Personally, I can say I don't like the playing style of certain teams - but this has nothing to do with their country and even less with their people. I can love Italian friends and still dislike the minimalistic style of their team.

In 2006, when Germany hosted the World Cup, some small nazi and hooligan groups planned to have a second WW2 on the streets. But they had no chance. German streets were filled with peaceful fans who had fun and wore the flag of their favorite team. All colors of flags were seen and this was no reason for any quarrel.

That time I was really proud of my country. :sage:
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Ayu wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:42 am Maybe in this thread it is interesting to mention that in Germany nobody mixes politics with football. It's absurd to talk about any hostility between countries in the context of games that are supposed to be an expression of friendship and peace. In times of war there won't be any soccer worldcup nor Eurovision Songcontest nor Olympic games.
Thinking in terms of being enemies is just a pitty.
I could not agree more. Yesterday i was reading comments on Youtube video showing the highlights of the opening game between Russia and Saudi Arabia, and the amount of hatred and delusion against the Saudi team are indescribable, and many of the comments were justifying the negative sentiment by mentioning the politics of Saudi Arabia and its Royal family.

However, the way the world cup is organized is conducive to the arising of nationalistic sentiments which can naturally turn into something ugly. Before each match, it all begins with the national anthem and displaying the flag of each country. Yesterday, both Putin and Mohammad Bin Salman (the Saudi crown prince) were present in the stadium. All this symbolism serves to fuel the collective mind and herd mentality.

If it was simply about the performance in the field, people would support whichever team that performs better in a particular game. However, we are meant to support "our" team regardless of their performance. Sentiment and identification with group come first, performance is secondary.
Ayu

Post by Ayu »

Group A: Egypt - Uruguay ---> 0:1 I think this is sad, because Egypt deserved a goal. They should have made one.
binocular

Post by binocular »

DNS wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup

The frenzy, the hopefulness, the energy -- all that can be quite contagious, quite inspiring.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Spain 3
Portugal 3

Cristiano Ronaldo scores all 3 goals for Portugal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristiano_Ronaldo
(not to be confused with the famous Ronaldo, from Brazil)
Ayu

Post by Ayu »

DNS wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 pm Spain 3
Portugal 3

Cristiano Ronaldo scores all 3 goals for Portugal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristiano_Ronaldo
(not to be confused with the famous Ronaldo, from Brazil)
Best game. Astonishing.

Our German TV sports moderator called it "Spain against Cristiano Ronaldo". I find this unfair, because the Portuguese team always has wonderful players and they are acting as a good team. I watched Ronaldo in World Cups and European Cups since he was a young star at the age of 17. Now he is very adult and seems to be vain. But maybe this behavior is only part of his business. He is an actor in a drama on the field.
Apart from this behavior he is an incredible player. His free-shots are legendary and he still repeats these ingenious shots again and again. Like a magician.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Feel bad for Messi. He somehow cannot perform in the Argentine jersey. How can one of the world's most valuable players miss a crucial penalty kick? He has only 5 goals in 16 World Cup matches. If only he can show the form he shows at Barcelona.

Specially when one contrasts his performance with Ronaldo's the evening before he clearly has to get his act together.

If Argentina plays like this they will be knocked out at pre-quarters for sure. No use comparing Messi to Maradona anymore. Just not possible for those old enough to remember the 1986 World Cup.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:49 am Specially when one contrasts his performance with Ronaldo's the evening before he clearly has to get his act together.

If Argentina plays like this they will be knocked out at pre-quarters for sure. No use comparing Messi to Maradona anymore. Just not possible for those old enough to remember the 1986 World Cup.

I think these kind of comparisons is what increases the pressure on the player and might affect his performance in the short run.

From my own observations of football, when big teams under-perform in the earlier stages of any tournament they end up advancing against all expectations. During the last Euro cup two years ago which Portugal won, they could barely go through the group stage (they had three draws as i remember) and they ended up winning the tournament. Plenty of similar examples can be found in the history of football.

This is why, i expect Argentina to be in the final four, precisely because they under performed in their first game.
Ayu

Post by Ayu »

I agree. The German team for example used to start with a low performance always and became stronger every game. This is their style. As soon as they think 'We're the best, nothing can happen to us!', then they fail. :shrug:

I was crossing fingers for Nigeria and it was disappointing.

And France performed typically: minor performance, good luck, best result. I still wonder how it comes that teams keep their certain style over decades although all players are new.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Ayu wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:01 am I still wonder how it comes that teams keep their certain style over decades although all players are new.
My own interpretation is Kamma and how it works. Self identity (name) creates perceptions and expectations of continuity. For example, we observe how Germany (name) performed in the past, and we work collectively to maintain the continuity of the performance. This desire for continuity creates institutions and conditions to ensure same performance even when individual players change.